It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So evidently US politicians going to Taiwan is no big deal anymore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   
So I wonder if China will respond to this provocation this time, if not, does it semi-prove the previous response was indeed nothing but bluster? or is it something more?

I'm beginning to believe MSM is just hyping this for clicks and links to their articles...if nothing else....creating hype I know I would have never read the article without the Pelosi angle.

www.businessinsider.com...

A delegation of five US lawmakers landed in Taiwan less than two weeks after Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi made her trip to the self-governing island democracy.

The delegation is being led by Senator Ed Markey, Reuters reported. The trip is part of a larger visit to the Indo-Pacific region.

"The delegation will meet with senior Taiwan leaders to discuss US-Taiwan relations, regional security, trade and investment, global supply chains, climate change, and other significant issues of mutual interest," the de facto US embassy in Taiwan said.

Reuters, citing Markey's office reported that the trip was meant to "reaffirm the United States' support for Taiwan."

edit on 14-8-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

(post by network dude removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Hers was hyped up and announced, this one was slick and about business.

It does make China look rather lame, sending the ball back to their court for a next move.

If the military drills, essentially surrounding and violating the space of the island with harassment meant nothing to stop another visit less than a month later, they're going to be thinking "What do we need to do next to get our point across?"

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thrumbo
they're going to be thinking "What do we need to do next to get our point across?"

when sadly, they should have been thinking "do we really have a point"?

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Pelosi has a history of being surrounded by Chinese spies. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't go on China's behalf, whether it was her or her people committing espionage.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I sincerely don't believe we'd goto war with China over Taiwan though, I really dont. It's not worth nuclear war to either side, and China has some legitimacy here because it'd be like China telling us that we can't have an English speaking island in the Carribean because they are Communist. Cuba? Ok, maybe Russia saying it and visiting with promises to defend them but you get the point.

At most, there'd be some local conflict with U.S. Navy and Air Force vs Chinese counterparts. China would bum rush the island anyways because it's so close to their coast and that would be it.

Trade would be screwed, sanctions etc like with Russia, except our trade with China is way more important. Which is also why I don't think it would happen to begin with.
edit on CDT10Sun, 14 Aug 2022 10:47:59 -050000000008b2022 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
Pelosi has a history of being surrounded by Chinese spies. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't go on China's behalf, whether it was her or her people committing espionage.

Man, them Democrats are some diabolically evil folks. Every move they make has a hidden conspiracy behind it showing just how vile they are, domestically and abroad. Literally every single one, from U.S. elections to every bill that gets passed to every foreign policy move, even support for Ukraine. That entire war is to cover up Biden's secret criminal enterprise.

/sarcasm

*flees from projectile throwing*

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I sincerely don't believe we'd goto war with China over Taiwan though, I really dont. It's not worth nuclear war to either side, and China has some legitimacy here because it'd be like China telling us that we can't have an English speaking island in the Carribean because they are Communist. Cuba? Ok, maybe Russia saying it and visiting with promises to defend them but you get the point.

At most, there'd be some local conflict with U.S. Navy and Air Force vs Chinese counterparts. China would bum rush the island anyways because it's so close to their coast and that would be it.

Trade would be screwed, sanctions etc like with Russia, except our trade with China is way more important. Which is also why I don't think it would happen to begin with.

That's the way Ive always felt about the China/US relationship, we buy too much of their stuff, and sanctions and threats of war are bad for business. Not that China is gonna kiss our butts either.

but it isn't as certain as it used to be, or perhaps I'm just paying attention more.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   

China would have to have a plan and preparation in place for a massive move that would cut them off from the west much like Russia did for starting their "special operation in Ukraine".

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Nah, China biden already told China what he was planning to do, he probably told china that will be giving them some land on close to another military base in the US, soo they can spy at will.

China is just making a show of been outraged soo the people in china does think they are idiots.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Man, them Democrats are some diabolically evil folks. Every move they make has a hidden conspiracy behind it showing just how vile they are, domestically and abroad. Literally every single one, from U.S. elections to every bill that gets passed to every foreign policy move, even support for Ukraine. That entire war is to cover up Biden's secret criminal enterprise.

/sarcasm

Nowhere in my post did I say democrat. The fact that you are unable or unwilling to separate a person from a party says a lot.

I guess my biggest mistake was assuming people of ATS would be aware enough to know about current events.

Weather it was Pelosi (the person not the party) gave a vote of confidence Thursday to Rep. Eric Swalwell after revelations of his interactions with a suspected Chinese spy.

www.politico.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   

/sarcasm

Nowhere in my post did I say democrat. The fact that you are unable or unwilling to separate a person from a party says a lot.

I guess my biggest mistake was assuming people of ATS would be aware enough to know about current events.

Weather it was Pelosi (the person not the party) gave a vote of confidence Thursday to Rep. Eric Swalwell after revelations of his interactions with a suspected Chinese spy.

www.politico.com...

Ugh, didn't mean to get you in your feelings or feel like you were attacked. How am I a representative of people on ATS? Now I'm offended. I'm posting a snarky reply so we can go back and forth like two teenage boys with bruised egos trying to be considered the winner by those reading.

I connected the dots between Democrat Speaker of the House and Democrat party. Everyone loves to hate her, besides.. they're all in cahoots with each other. It wasn't a delegation with members of both parties, it was just her so it's certainly being projected like a partisan move. That makes it easy to be critical of.

If it were a Republican only group going over there the same thing would be said.
edit on CDT11Sun, 14 Aug 2022 11:56:25 -050000000008b2022 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Isn't FJB having a face-to-face with XI in the near future? If it happens I sure would like to know what is being said. It will be a private talk (confidentail I am sure). Need to know and we don't need to know. It almost seems like this is being staged in order to give China Taiwan.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

XI: damn yankee round eye, damn bastards no scare, you go home.

edit on 14-8-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   

China would have to have a plan and preparation in place for a massive move that would cut them off from the west much like Russia did for starting their "special operation in Ukraine".

I agree, that said, I wonder if China would be hit with the same cohesive plan, ie Id bet fewer nations would participate altogether as well as the sanctions would be less

I do remember the brouhaha about this, it all could be linked or not. For instance, wasn't this held up for a few days? Considering the turmoil and instability in Sri Lanka why is China sniffing around? or are they already ensconced in Sri Lanka

www.wionews.com...< br />

Despite India's worries that it would spy on New Delhi's military facilities, authorities said Sri Lanka's government on Saturday authorised a contentious Chinese research vessel to visit the island. International shipping and analytics websites refer to the Yuan Wang 5 as a research and survey vessel, however, Indian media describes it as a dual-purpose espionage ship.

Beijing's expanding presence in the Indian Ocean and influence in Sri Lanka raise suspicion in New Delhi, which sees both as firmly within its area of influence. The Chinese-run Hambantota port in Sri Lanka was scheduled to receive the Yuan Wang 5 on August 11, but Colombo requested Beijing to postpone the visit indefinitely after India raised concerns. Sri Lanka's harbour master Nirmal P. Silva, however, claimed that he had obtained permission from the foreign ministry for the ship to call in Hambantota from August 16 to 22.

According to officials in the foreign ministry, Colombo had extended the first clearance for the visit, which had been given on July 12—the day before the former president Gotabaya Rajapaksa fled the country after months of unrest over the nation's worst-ever economic crisis. After escaping to Singapore, Rajapaksa—whose brother Mahinda borrowed extensively from China while serving as president from 2005 to 2015—resigned.

edit on 14-8-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Definitely, because too many are reliant on China economically and Taiwan isn't in NATO, lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Think logically about this a moment. Why would the USA want or defend Taiwan???? Taiwan has no great natural resources, the only think it's got going for it it the export of electronics which by the way could easily be manufactured in say Wisconsin.

So what would it be if it came to the crunch of losing American lives for what??? To stop China s expansion (on it's doorstep) or some American warhawk wanting it. Cos Taiwan aint worth it, just as Ukraine aint worth it.

PS. don't give me the BS of supporting free people.
edit on 14-8-2022 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Taiwan has no great natural resources, the only think it's got going for it it the export of electronics which by the way could easily be manufactured in say Wisconsin.

Interestingly they already tried setting up manufacturing in WI. Didn't work.

Taiwan's microchip fabs are world-critical important. If China tries taking the fabs by force they'll be rendered inoperable, and that'd be a war everyone would lose. So in a way the fabs are the "dead man's switch", no nukes or intervention necessary.
edit on 14-8-2022 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   

So evidently US politicians going to Taiwan is no big deal anymore

On the contrary, my friend. It's been a big deal. Now the Japanese, the Vietnamese, and the South Koreans want to buy new toys from US. New aircrafts, more vessels, more radar systems, more missiles and anti-missiles systems. See? It's been a deal, a big one for the main defense corporations. Mrs. Pelosi has resulted in the best Sales Department asset.

I would recommend her for a salary increase in my next meeting with the guys.

posted on Aug, 14 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Think logically about this a moment. Why would the USA want or defend Taiwan???? Taiwan has no great natural resources, the only think it's got going for it it the export of electronics which by the way could easily be manufactured in say Wisconsin.

So what would it be if it came to the crunch of losing American lives for what??? To stop China s expansion (on it's doorstep) or some American warhawk wanting it. Cos Taiwan aint worth it, just as Ukraine aint worth it.

PS. don't give me the BS of supporting free people.

FWIW Ive mentioned over and over, that if the manufacturer of computer chips is so important we should have a strategic reserve and manufacturer in the states, this isn't something new. Our politicians have known for years we needed to close that reliance. Neither party has thought of it as important enough,probably because they are making loads of money from it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join