It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salman Rushdie Attacked on Stage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:16 AM
link   
apnews.com...

When governments decide what can or can not be said, and the populace allows it to levy any punishment it sees fit, we can see the sad result being silencing the opposition.

Salman Rushdie is an author sentenced to death for his writing. It looks as if a fanatic may have taken ayatollah's fatwa seriously and attacked the author before he spoke today in New York.

Rushdie's Midnight's Children and Haroon and the Sea of Stories place him in a top tier of modern fiction writers. In my opinion, Midnight's Children is epic and wonderful. The way he wove the tumultuous reign of Indira Gandhi into his fictional work was exceptional. HIs imagination is exceedingly vast as well.

He's a 75 year old man attacked in broad daylight at his event for writing something the Iranian government didn't approve of.

I hope he recovers fully from his injuries.

ETA: suspect in custody. May the force of the law be upon him.
edit on 12-8-2022 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hardly the first victim of the religion of peace. a large enough percentage of the Middle East population want to kill non muslims for being a disgusting infidels. Quit being such a bigot they will say if you raise concern.

a reply to: zosimov

link   
I hope he recovers.

On other thing, this was like mandela effect or something....because i thought Salman died years ago ...hmm weird

link   

Clearly an islamophobe getting what he deserved. /Sarc

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The Curb Your Enthusiasm episode made him a target again

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Imo, in this case religion is relevant as Iran is run by a theocracy; however, I'd say governmental control over speech will inevitably lead to brutal suppression. We've seen it in Soviet Russia, Pinochet's Chile, Elizabethan England, Francoist Spain, modern Saudi Arabia, etc.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I tell you what, if these people who attack others on stage started to get their skull rearranged I bet it wouldn't happen as much............. .. . a reply to: zosimov

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Interesting.. I just looked that up. Very plausible and likely to have rekindled some fanaticism.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   

My thoughts go out to Sir Salman Rushdie , a man of courage and advocate for Free Speech who wouldn't be silenced in the face of threats to his life , words have power and the ignorant fear that power.

He has lived much of his life waiting for this moment , I hope he recovers and the ignorance against which he spoke doesn't succeed in silencing him.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The Satanic Verses is a freaking masterpiece. That's gotta be the undying motive.

Anything that is such a blasphemy to the story of this guy:

Is fine by me. So peaceful. Some religions have a much much lower threshold for getting offended.

Is the attacker Iranian-born?

Fast recovery Salman.
edit on 12-8-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

He look like Opioid-Jesus.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: putnam6

Interesting.. I just looked that up. Very plausible and likely to have rekindled some fanaticism.

All I know is I hadn't heard of him in years and then saw where he was on a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode on a blog somewhere

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Holy crap I hope Mr Rushdie survives,but 10-15 stab wounds is as serious as it gets.

This may be an Iranian Sleeper/agent-Only a week or two back one was arrested outside the home of an Iranian Dissident journalist in NYC I think,with an AK in the car.
If this was also an agent then the Iranian regime have for some reason(the biden effect?) become emboldened to carry out what is a very high profile attack.
Or maybe its just some brainwashed loser who wants martyr posters made of his face.

A sick person either way.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I just bought a copy. NO one should die for penning a drawing or book.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Looks like islamic Tim Curry. 😂

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: oddscreenname

To me, it's a dead ringer of Peter O Toole

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I've often wondered how the safety would fare over the years. I wonder if his safety has gone up since people fleeing syria first, then the exodus of Afghanistan.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Holy crap I hope Mr Rushdie survives,but 10-15 stab wounds is as serious as it gets.

This may be an Iranian Sleeper/agent-Only a week or two back one was arrested outside the home of an Iranian Dissident journalist in NYC I think,with an AK in the car.
If this was also an agent then the Iranian regime have for some reason(the biden effect?) become emboldened to carry out what is a very high profile attack.
Or maybe its just some brainwashed loser who wants martyr posters made of his face.

A sick person either way.

yes and the rev guard dude that murdered the 4 muslims in az i think.

thank allah for open borders.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The reason Mr Rushdie was issued the fatwa by the Iranian Ayotollah back in the 80's was because in his FICTIONAL novel entitled "the Satanic Verses",the novel contains mention of a disputed line from an early biographer of Mohammed.

TLDR of the disputed stuff is that Mohammed is trying to convert people and he mentions three pre islamic(Meccan)Godesses,and the part in dispute is that he was/was not influenced by satan to mention these deities.

If you are on the side that Mohammed WAS influenced by satan,then you are considered a heratic to at least the Iranian version of Islam.
But not just for that opinion.

Salman Rushdie was put on a state sanctioned murder list-For writing a fictional novel which dared to mention these banned lines.
The book wasn't ever persented as anything other than fiction.

I cannot fathom the smoothness of the brain required to be a follower of an ideology that thinks this is OK.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join