It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Reveal The First Images of Atoms 'Swimming' in Liquid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Scientists Reveal The First Images of Atoms 'Swimming' in Liquid

The motion of single atoms through liquid has been caught on camera for the first time.

Using a sandwich of materials so thin they're effectively two-dimensional, scientists trapped and observed platinum atoms 'swimming' along a surface under different pressures.

www.sciencealert.com...

Starting A New Thread?... Look Here First

edit on Mon Aug 1 2022 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: 1XKINET0

Weird!!

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Dancing to the beat on those invisible strings I guess

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I got questions so there are other atoms there we are just seeing the movement of the platinum atoms, there would be other atoms moving we just can't see them correct? Makes me wonder if is this associated with platinum strength and malleability.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ummm, aren't liquids made of atoms? Isn't this just atoms moving around other atoms?

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
LoL !!

Folks will believe anything, if it's got a Sciency™ Label™ on it.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

I don't believe in invisible things lol sound familiar?

Science isn't supposed to require any acts of faith, science is objective right...

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 06:32 PM
link   
But what composes the liquid?

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   
AVG gave me a threat warning from that link.

Otherwise..pretty cool!

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: iamthevirus

Science isn't supposed to require any acts of faith, science is objective right...

In that case science has no business saying whether God exists or no.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Very cool. They actually look like most picture People take of BigFoot.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I was obsolete, couldn't hear the beat... staggering about on me ol' man's feet... I had one foot in the grave - Now I'm Nu Rave!

Atoms or eels, elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either...

You will know it if you know it or if you don't know it, you will also know that you don't know it.
edit on 1-8-2022 by jerich0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
I got questions so there are other atoms there we are just seeing the movement of the platinum atoms, there would be other atoms moving we just can't see them correct? Makes me wonder if is this associated with platinum strength and malleability.

No there is no other atoms between the platinum. See if i can explain this they effectively made a sandwich the platinum is contained between two liquid sheets. The sheets are a disulfide monolayer separated by hexagonal boron nitride spacers. picture liquid bubbles that the platinum can skim across. They move these sheets so close together that we can see individual atoms as they glide over the sheet.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: putnam6

No there is no other atoms between the platinum. See if i can explain this they effectively made a sandwich the platinum is contained between two liquid sheets. The sheets are a disulfide monolayer separated by hexagonal boron nitride spacers. picture liquid bubbles that the platinum can skim across. They move these sheets so close together that we can see individual atoms as they glide over the sheet.

So no other atoms react this way? just platinum ones? or are they reacting with the hexagonal boron nitride spacers?

sorry for all the basic questions but just trying to wrap my head around it all.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
I think it's possible the monolayer separated by hexagonal boron nitride spacers is made of smaller atoms in theory allowing observations of larger platinum atom activities.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser

originally posted by: iamthevirus

In that case science has no business saying whether God exists or no.

God gave science something to do.

one can say say, without God, there is no science.

posted on Aug, 2 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Are the Platinum atoms doing backstroke, breaststroke, or dog paddling?

This is a nice image and all, but I don't see how atoms could 'swim' in liquid. Surely any liquid would be just more atoms and 'liquid' would not be evidencing the rigid structure that we can see. What it looks like is a crystalline matrix with some larger/brighter atoms migrating through it.

top topics

join