It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book recommendations: Unadultered English version of Quran?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I'm not a particularly religious person, but I do find religion interesting and would like to give the scriptures of some major religions a read. When I started thinking about this though, I remembered that I've heard multiple times over the years that many English versions of the Quran have been edited to remove or alter some of the more abhorrent parts in order to show Islam in a more positive light.

So I was curious if anyone here could recommend an English version that has not been bastardized like this? If I'm going to read it, I want to read it as close to the original text as possible, without having to learn Arabic of course. I realize some things will be lost in translation no matter what. I just don't want the Americanized "even when they want to kill you they love you" version.

Any advice?

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Couldn't say which translation of the Quran but, I have heard the oxford translation is pretty bad. I do know you need the hadiths to go with it. Abu bakir (sp) seems to be the preferred choice.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   

There isn't one single "reliable" English translation, as each translator would translate the Qur'an according to his own bias/interpretation of the Qur'an and Islam. This is due to the grammatical and semantics of the Arabic language, where one word can have several different meanings.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Read it and know for yourself what Islam is really about. I have an English copy in storage, I will destroy it when I dig it up again.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I will destroy it when I dig it up again.

Why?

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The Quran is supposed to be not altered or amended since its inception in the 6th century, but that's a big lie that even some Muslims will not believe. As all modern Qurans stem from a group of Muslim scholars who got together in the early 20th century and "updated" "amended" , what ever word you want to use, and that version is what the vast amount of Muslims have got.

There are older versions but the majority stem from the early 20th century version.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Read it and know for yourself what Islam is really about. I have an English copy in storage, I will destroy it when I dig it up again.

That's what I want to do. That's what the OP was about. The problem is some English versions have been softened up to make Islam look less violent and oppressive. I want to read as close to a literal translation as possible and was asking if anyone here knew which version would be best for that.

I thought the OP was pretty clear about all of that.

posted on Jul, 22 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

That's what I want to do. That's what the OP was about. The problem is some English versions have been softened up to make Islam look less violent and oppressive. I want to read as close to a literal translation as possible and was asking if anyone here knew which version would be best for that.

I thought the OP was pretty clear about all of that.

What would be better is a parallel version that allows you to compare and contrast the various versions.

I have heard that there are 26 different versions, and that 10 are officially sanctioned, but I have not gone into the details and the differences in the readings.

Generally, I believe the Hafs version by Abu Bakr Ibn Mujahidis is held in the highest regard.

edit on 22/7/2022 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Learn Arabic

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This is consistent with the Russian translation of the Quran that I read.

However, in the Russian translation, a blow to the neck is applied with a sword.

Surah Muhammad

47:4
So when you meet the disbelievers ˹in battle˺, strike ˹their˺ necks until you have thoroughly subdued them, then bind them firmly. Later ˹free them either as˺ an act of grace or by ransom until the war comes to an end. So will it be. Had Allah willed, He ˹Himself˺ could have inflicted punishment on them. But He does ˹this only to˺ test some of you by means of others. And those who are martyred in the cause of Allah,1 He will never render their deeds void.

quran.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 04:04 AM
link   

I read it years ago....its a complete crock of the proverbial.

It was supposed to be a literal translation of the unadulterated original Arabic version etc.
Full of ramblings, stuff that can be interpreted numerous ways - and is - and many, many contradictions.
I'm glad I took the time to read it all those years ago....but I found it a hard read and at times quite infuriating.

I'm not a religious person I just like to understand....I guess it sort of helped me with that but along with that understanding has come some pretty strong and hard held conclusions and convictions.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I'm not a religious person I just like to understand....

From the point of view of religions, we are miserable beings who mistakenly identify ourselves with our bodies.

We are beings who have immersed their minds in the circumstances and needs of the world accessible to our senses.

The ultimate goal of religions is to take our mind completely out of the confines of the sensory world.

Only in this way can one become a citizen of the spiritual world.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: turretless

I know you have good intentions.....

I am Agnostic.
I've read all sorts of religious and spiritual books....not much in the past 10 - 20 years or so but quite a bit when I was slightly younger.
I'm comfortable with my Agnosticism.
I try not to preach about it or explain and justify it.....but its reasoned and thought out.

I'm not a 'miserable' being.....I'm quite a cheerful and social person. 👍
🍻

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 04:52 AM
link   

I'm not a 'miserable' being.....I'm quite a cheerful and social person. 👍
🍻

The problem is that you have nothing to compare your current state with.

Your current state is the only state you have been in for your entire life.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I was given a copy of the Quran by a well meaning coworker of a previous boyfriend.

He was very nice about it, had invited us over for tea at his apartment and as a parting gift gave me a copy to share his faith.

I was extremely into world theologies back then, so I was very grateful.

However, he neglected to inform me that in the Islamic culture, women are forbidden from reading certain passages, as they are intended for men and the warrior caste only.

Imagine my surprise when I randomly opened the book to read, and was greeted with the most violent description of murdering the unbelievers I have ever seen in my life.

My mind rebelled in horror, and I literally felt like I had blood on my hands.

I closed the book and donated it at first opportunity.

I wish I had been given that warning about not reading certain passages.

It's been twenty some odd years later and I have come across passages speaking of Allah's creation and mercy, and many of them are quite beautiful and peaceful thoughts and meditations.

I bought a paperback translation for further study, but I am still learning about how to "skip over" the passages not designed for the fairer sex so hopefully, I won't have such a terrifying experience again.

edit on 7/23/22 by GENERAL EYES because: grammar edit

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 05:04 AM
link   

I'm at peace with the Universe.

Is there something more?
Its irrelevant....I'll find out soon enough, or won't as the case may be.

If there's more I'll be judged on my actions, my acts and deeds and not some man made dogma or creed.
I'm comfortable with that.

I wish no ill on anyone who seeks to do no ill on me and mine.
I live by my own moral code, I fail sometimes because I'm human.

It is what it is.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I have something to answer you, but I have no desire to destroy the cozy world of your beliefs.

I leave this work to the Universe.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Why so dismissive?

I respect others beliefs, I expect the same in return.

I don't mind my beliefs being questioned....in a polite and respectful manner.

You are now displaying the arrogance of many who believe they are enlightened....its pitiful.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Why so dismissive?

I respect others beliefs, I expect the same in return.

I don't mind my beliefs being questioned....in a polite and respectful manner.

You are now displaying the arrogance of many who believe they are enlightened....its pitiful.

Although I refused to destroy your beliefs, the "Universe" as usual turned out to be the most cunning of all and has already begun its work.

The Universe began by destroying your belief that "I respect others beliefs, I expect the same in return."

However, I and the Quran want to hit your neck with a sword.

I wonder what other measures the Universe will take to show you the fallacy of your other beliefs?

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Stop speaking in riddles in an attempt to make it seem like you're somehow 'enlightened'.....just spit it out man.
Or is straight talking beyond you?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join