It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion for new Dishwasher?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ok, I'm really tired of doing dishes by hand. I really wouldn't mind if it was just me, but my wife uses more dishes in a morning than I use in an entire month, and then we have 3 young kids on top of it all.

So, we've gone through 4 dishwashers now, and none of them have ever worked very well, and they all broke in one way or another (top rack sprayer stopped working, bottom sprayer stopped working, etc) just after the warranty ran out, and all of them did a crappy job of cleaning the dishes. I mean, even the cycles I filled and ran myself (all of the dishes are already fully rinsed and basically 'clean', I'm just using the dishwasher to sanitize them) sometimes left the dishes feeling greasy in spots, but my wife leaves all of the food on them, sometimes already dried on...

I think part of the problem is this stupid 'eco-friendly' crap that limits water usage.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendation for a decent dishwasher? Hell, I'd actually prefer a 30 year old one that is built like a tank and easy to repair to any of these new POS that aren't much better rinsing the grease off with a hose.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

If a man has to learn how to cook and clean for himself what’s the incentive of getting married?

I got a GE dishwasher it’s a bit older from 2004 and works great

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I really like my Bosch 800- I love it so much I bought the same one when I sold my first house, because I missed it.

Bosch
And now I miss it again- I just moved (and took it with me!) but this place has some other piece of junk one already installed I'm using... and it just makes me miss the bosch more.

I'll be installing it soon, but I need to make some updates to the plumbing under the sink, and my wife hates the sink so I need to replace it... but she also hates the counters and cabinets.... it never ends.
But I love the bosch.

I bought the first one at Lowes for $800, and the second one at Lowes for $1000.... looks like they're up to nearly 1300 now, but if this one died today I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Been using it 5 years without an incident.
edit on 7-7-2022 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2022 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I had a Bosch before I redid the kitchen but I gave that away since I was getting all new appliances anyway. It still worked great after 5-6 years but I went with a Cove which works even better. I don't have to pre-rinse anything and it can do all my Riedel crystal wine glasses as well without damage or cloudiness.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Aren't you fancy- maybe I'll consider one if the Bosch ever kicks it... but for that price I could buy two Bosches and then leave my clean dishes in there, loading them into the other dishwasher as I use them.... and then run it and go the other way.
True bachelor engineering.... but my wife would never go for it. She'd probably just fill both with dirty dishes and run neither.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:24 PM
link   

When you get the full offering from them, range, fridge, washer, they give you all kinds of throw in countertop appliances so it wasn't that bad.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   

The best advice is to not buy cheap..
Get a stainless tub and racks

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am also tired of doing dishes by hand. I should try to get my wife to do them again but she says since I cook most of the meals I should clean up the mess I make. I guess she is right....she complements me on my cooking quite often because she does not have to cook or do the pots and pans. Most of our dishes are pots and pans and the dishwasher won't handle those well, some of them won't even fit in a dishwasher. The dishwasher is a wine rack now, how many people who break in to a house are going to look for things in a dishwasher, especially alcohol? If they clean out the house, we will be able to get drunk while waiting for the cops to make a police report.

same with the kids, if I make a lot of pasties they say they love them and they say my soups are great...is that actually true or are they just telling me that so I make them soups and pasties and they don't have to make them. They don't have to buy the ingredients or spend hours making the stuff but at least now if they want them, they have to pick up the stuff and deliver it to the others. I usually make enough pasties for everyone to have one when I make them. We also make some for ourselves and at least three to freeze for a meal. So usually twenty four pasties is enough, that is a lot of time to make that many.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I had a Bosch before I redid the kitchen but I gave that away since I was getting all new appliances anyway. It still worked great after 5-6 years but I went with a Cove which works even better. I don't have to pre-rinse anything and it can do all my Riedel crystal wine glasses as well without damage or cloudiness.

Looks like there's a recall on certain models. Hope you're not affected.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

It was handled under warranty by the local appliance company.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Samsung

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Get on Craigslist and find an old whirlpool. The kind that actually used water to clean.
It would take 30 minutes to do a load and hands down could clean better than anything out there today.

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Bosch. I second the notion. It's also very quiet.
edit on 7/7/2022 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl
Ok, I'm really tired of doing dishes by hand. I really wouldn't mind if it was just me, but my wife uses more dishes in a morning than I use in an entire month, and then we have 3 young kids on top of it all.

So, we've gone through 4 dishwashers now, and none of them have ever worked very well, and they all broke in one way or another (top rack sprayer stopped working, bottom sprayer stopped working, etc) just after the warranty ran out, and all of them did a crappy job of cleaning the dishes. I mean, even the cycles I filled and ran myself (all of the dishes are already fully rinsed and basically 'clean', I'm just using the dishwasher to sanitize them) sometimes left the dishes feeling greasy in spots, but my wife leaves all of the food on them, sometimes already dried on...

I think part of the problem is this stupid 'eco-friendly' crap that limits water usage.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendation for a decent dishwasher? Hell, I'd actually prefer a 30 year old one that is built like a tank and easy to repair to any of these new POS that aren't much better rinsing the grease off with a hose.

Are your kids old enough to do dishes?

They make excellent dishwashers.

Especially when vbux are on the line

On the actual topic I have never seen a mechanical dishwasher that actually cleans dishes.

Think about it it sprays hot soapy water on your dishes.

There is no scrubbing electronic dishwasher so unless you want rinsed of dishes you are better off buying paper plates.

Just the rant of a person who has a useless electronic dishwasher

If there was a flat one you could put the dishes in like an automatic car wash I would use it but sadly we aren't there yet.

You can rinse your dishes yourself that's all you will.get from an electronic dishwasher.

edit on 7-7-2022 by Themaskedbeast because: Fixed it

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I second the Bosch nomination.

I have had everything else, including higher end Kitchen Aid and they ALL broke

Bosch has been solid, reliable, quiet , washes great.

Good luck

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

If a man has to learn how to cook and clean for himself what’s the incentive of getting married?

Heh, yeah, but I prefer cooking and cleaning myself, cause I know it gets done right...

And being full carnivore and only eating OMAD, it is super easy.

Like I said, she creates more dishes in one morning than I do for an entire month, and I'm not joking. It is insane.

I got a GE dishwasher it’s a bit older from 2004 and works great

Maybe I will start looking for shops that sell older rebuilt models...

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Looks nice, but a bit out of my wife's price range, but I'd probably go for it, I'm happy to pay more for quality... wonder if they have a satisfaction guarantee...

Thanks for the tip...

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I really like my Bosch 800- I love it so much I bought the same one when I sold my first house, because I missed it.

Hmmm... I'm not sure, but I think one of the 4 was a Bosch, but not sure what model... I'll have to ask the wife if she remembers...

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Get on Craigslist and find an old whirlpool. The kind that actually used water to clean.
It would take 30 minutes to do a load and hands down could clean better than anything out there today.

Thanks, that is actually what I was thinking about doing... any idea of a particular model?

posted on Jul, 7 2022 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Themaskedbeast
Are your kids old enough to do dishes?

They make excellent dishwashers.

Lol! I was telling the wife I'll be glad when the oldest is old enough, although she's about there (7, turns 8 in Dec)...

The only problem is... I really, really hate the idea of eating off dirty dishes.

On the actual topic I have never seen a mechanical dishwasher that actually cleans dishes.

Yeah, I know, thats been my experience too. Thats why I basically just use it as a sanitizer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join