It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ridley Scott's memento to HR Giger in new movies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 05:21 PM
link   
i think few people know that Geiger's long time lover killer herself with one of his guns.

she was the drawing they used to make Shaw after she was mutated by David because he used his art as a way of dealing with mental images and dreams of his love blowing her brains out.

we see in the extras for the last covenant that Shaw was in fact an almost identical depiction of H.R's dead partner.

and

a small message for a life friend and fellow artist

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: noscopebacon

here is also a SUPER documentary from the early 70's about HR

H.R. Giger's Necronomicon Documentary H・R・ギーガー

something for a rainy day

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 05:51 PM
link   
What are the new movies? More Alien movies?

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

the movies Prometheus and coventent as well the rumor of a new rea aliens movie the real second movie

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 06:16 PM
link   

HR Geiger was weird but is very influential, he would NOT be however had it not been for the first Alien movie that drew so much inspiration from his art.

Arguably the old silent movie Metropolis and it's art style whoever the old artist that created that was is actually far more influential to the Science fiction genre with the likes of Flash Gordon (the old and new versions), Star Wars etc all playing on that original concept, it was almost like a reimagining of Gothic through the eyes of steam and electricity, arguably it probably also had or shared inspiration with the neo gothic architecture that was also rising at that same time around the world.

Still if you like Geiger and most do with his organic style of art and imaginative and monstrous creations, sometimes they are oddly beautiful but always disturbing and I do wonder what this window into the artists imagination says about his state of mind not that I am into all that psycho pseudo babble nonsense but still.

But VERY WELL SPOTTED, I believe you have it correct it does look almost like a direct but grim copy of that Geiger work.

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I noticed the similarity between the image of his girlfriend and Shaw.

I had a bad Giger experience when I was younger,I ordered one of his books with loads of cool xenomorph/bio mechanical artworks but it arrived when I had some really heavy flu(the only time ever).

I struggled through the book and evrything was weirder than usual and sort of moving and maybe even making noises due to my overheated flu brain.The images seemed to escape the book and infect my head like a waking fever dream.
It was not a pleasant situation.

Once I was better I went back to the book and it was not the same book!
Literally everything I had seen was gone,replaced by standard(yet still awesome)Giger art.

Sounds like a lovecraft tale,but its true.

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I can’t wait for the upcoming FX channel Alien tv series next year.
As long as it’s done good like Game of thrones was.
I don’t want no BS fan fiction type of series.
But who knows what we’re gonna get with articles like this already out about it

Link to article

I’m not a fan of it being before the Nostromo and Prometheus, and set on earth.
I think it would be much better for continuities sake that it was set shortly after Alien.
That way we know Weyland is well aware about the Alien.

How the Alien is supposed to get to earth 30 years before the Prometheus mission in 2091. And then 2122 with the Nostromo, when Alien is supposed to take place, is a mystery to me.
Hopefully it’s good writing. Dude who did Fargo is the brain behind it. So there is a chance it will do good.
edit on 4-7-2022 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

he is in to some very very dark stuff like the OTO and other satanic churches

but who am i to judge a mans beliefs

Geiger's work is nightmarish or even like an odd dreamscape and that's why i think so many people relate to it because it is like our forgotten dreams

i think you also have to view his art from a lens of where he was an artist at the time, some of his most visually hard paintings can have some of the most hopeful messages.

i also love Wayne Barlow

here is a cool collection of HQ images

he waws also hired to help NASA and discovery channel visualize alien ecosystems

he also does ...other art

i like it all but the darker stuff is more my taste

edit on 4-7-2022 by noscopebacon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Done good like Game of Thrones? You mean they have multiple really good seasons they cap off with a total poison pill of an ending? LOL

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sorry, I meant in the way of special effects.
GoTs special effects for a tv series was unheard of until then.

ETA.
It would of been awesome if they made it a mini series of Alien Isolation.
I really, really, loved that story line.

edit on 4-7-2022 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2022 @ 04:18 AM
link   

I don't know if you would be interested in this or not, but there's an ATS Thread about a website, some sort of image generator thing where you type words &/or phrases &/or styles of art &/or artist names etc.... and it creates a pic. I used Giger's name in quite a few of them that turned out pretty good. I like them anyways.

Create An Image From Text..... Website

Weird stuff like this. Sometimes combining his name along with various other artists. These are just 2 examples. There are others if you'd wanna check them out.

Duality in my Consciousness | Thole Hyperrealism Giger

Psychotronic Talking Box by Giger

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

i think i saw that on JRE

in fact i knew i did and looked and here is something fun to watch if you have 15 mins

link to what is seen in the video, very fun to play with link

edit on 6-7-2022 by noscopebacon because: (no reason given)

top topics

join