It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What NON airport related security changes surprised you after 9/11?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Things you wouldn't think 9/11 would've effected and in reverse what are some things you are surprised that HAVEN'T changed?

For example I heard you used to be able to drive over Bonneville Dam before 9/11 and that they used to let you go all the way into the power house now you can only go partway down with a guided tour. None of it is related to airplanes blowing things up and wouldn't stop one.

In reverse I haven't seen a museum here in Oregon that has metal detectors that scan you on the way in but then I don't know much about Portland.
The only museums I went there was the Oregon Historical Society and OSMI neither checked you on the way in even way after 9/11. Neither does Pittock Mansion which isn't really a musuem.

EverGreen AirMuseum doesn't have anything close to security and didn't even do timed ticketing the only museum that never did that and they didn't care if you wore a mask or not the whole pandemic. Though most choose to do so personally which is the way it should be.
edit on 28-6-2022 by SortingHat because: Pittock Mansion

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Here in Aus we were banned from fishing next to a coal loading wharf after 911 for some stupid reason....

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SortingHat

In the 2000's I worked at a couple dams with generators.

A Middle Eastern man showed up at the dam once, on his bike, and came on site. He claimed to be an engineering student looking for an internship. Very bizarre. He was the right age, but it really surprised me he just came on a restricted site shortly after 9/11.

I'm not sure how that ended, but I remember the debate being if the hassle involved with calling the FBI was worth offsetting whatever infinitesimal possibility there was some attack planned on a small and relatively insignificant power generator. I forget what they ended up deciding. I crossed paths with one of the 9/11 hijackers so I figured the chances of being near two world shattering terrorist events was pretty low.

I had actually let that fade from mind. Weird remembering it again.

I think most of what came from 9/11 was either a show like TSA or provided the political capital needed to justify illegal spying in perpetuity.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Probably bad fish from the coal?. Hi. I think I'll fish near a toxic waste fill and hope I don't get any bad ones.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

One of the hijackers had detailed blueprints for every school in the US. This was when they were caught several years later after we sent missiles down into their bunkers. He might have been testing you to see if you'd think anything weird. Dad was doing relief work at the time as a relief pharmacist and a few days before 9/11 a Muslim came into the store asking for medicine and did this weird jig going out. He was asking Dad if we had any tall buildings near by and he almost called the police but decided it wasn't worth the hassle. He kept muttering 'Bin Laden' over and over and Dad told him to leave as he was starting to scare the customers. He walked out the door muttering 'Bin Laden'.

I still wonder what was up with that. This was BEFORE 9/1 occurred but it made Dad nervous what would happen to our cities as there were terrorist warnings on some news stations and on talk radio especially mentioned heightened alerts all summer while CNN was zip on it of course.
edit on 29-6-2022 by SortingHat because: 9/11 warnings all summer.

During the 2001 peak travel season they asked you to arrive an hour early to the airport as they were more vigilant in screening for bombs and illegal objects and prepare to be questioned. Obviously the message didn't get thru to some airports or perhaps the alert was over by 9/11.
edit on 29-6-2022 by SortingHat because: Special Alerts.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The Patriot Act pissed a lot of red Americans off but truthfully it really didnt affect real Americans and was used to find middle eastern terrorists.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SortingHat

No, it was apparently because they feared a terrorist attack on the coal freighters....

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SeriouslyDeep

It seems the whole thing was blown out of proportion by both Presidents. It feels like Bush started good but turned weird after 9/11 and went total globalist.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I was surprised that the US government required DNA samples from pilots and commercial boat Captians.

posted on Jun, 30 2022 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

What's that? 😕

posted on Jun, 30 2022 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

What's a good sub to post this in as I was hoping to generate some replies like the guy from the dams. That is what I was going for did I do something wrong? Whenever you search for anything all you ever get is 'Airport security before 9/11' over and over again no matter what you type.
edit on 30-6-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join