It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Joseph Mearsheimer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 07:41 PM
link   
John Joseph Mearsheimer is an American political scientist and international relations scholar, who belongs to the realist school of thought. He is the R. Wendell Harrison Distinguished Service Professor at the University of Chicago. He has been described as the most influential realist of his generation.

Mearsheimer is best known for developing the theory of offensive realism, which describes the interaction between great powers as being primarily driven by the rational desire to achieve regional hegemony in an anarchic international system. In accordance with his theory, Mearsheimer believes that China's growing power will likely bring it into conflict with the United States.

At about 57:00 he starts going into the possibility of nuclear war. I just came across this video today and started listening. I didn't know who he was or what he may say. I did look at his credentials to see if he was someone worth listening to.

After all, it is a long video. This guy in my opinion is a wealth of information on everything building up to the invasion and where it may realistically go. For those that are 100% pro-Ukraine, I doubt you will enjoy this video so you may want to skip it because the things he says and the people he quotes will challenge everything you probably think you know about this conflict.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Mearsheimer believes that China's growing power will likely bring it into conflict with the United States.

well no sh@@, you didn't need three letters behind your name not to see this comeing for at least the last 35 years.

edit on 28-6-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 12:57 AM
link   

After all, it is a long video.

It went by rather fast for me.

My own views are very similar to his.

I'm going to look for a video of his wrt China.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I didnt watch the video but I totally disagree that USA and China will come into conflict. Well maybe some fake ... nah - China isnt going have a fake war. Like this Russia Ukraine horse %$%$. USA and China are not Rome and Carthage. The reason is that the US ptb are complete cowards that are driven by self preservation. They will never risk getting nuked... They would all move to China before that. Many of them already love China. Elton Musk for example. Remember Mitt Romney telling us what a utopia China was - all those Chinese suffering under extreme poverty lining up at factories to work horrid low paying jobs... No war with China.. Get serious.
edit on 29-6-2022 by thelastman because: elton

edit - Remember when the US ptb were begging the US public for permission to perform an Obama 'pin prick' attack on Syria by having their corporate media run opinion polls [ edit - NO BOOTS ON THE GROUND!!!!!! Just a little pin prick. Would that be ok? HA! Pathetic. ] and Syria responded by saying that if they are attacked they will retaliate. Then US ptb cowards got scared and backed out deciding to go with mercs/terrorists instead? They are afraid of Syra ffs. USA doesnt want war with any nation that can attack the US homeland and potentially kill members of the ptb/elite...
edit on 29-6-2022 by thelastman because: (no reason given)
edit - Their children.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I've watched a few of his videos/presentations over the last 12 months.
Very intelligent man and with plenty of experience.
Doesn't takes sides just analyses situations.
Thank you for posting
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: thelastman
I didnt watch the video but I totally disagree that USA and China will come into conflict. Well maybe some fake ... nah - China isnt going have a fake war. Like this Russia Ukraine horse %$%$. USA and China are not Rome and Carthage. The reason is that the US ptb are complete cowards that are driven by self preservation. They will never risk getting nuked... They would all move to China before that. Many of them already love China. Elton Musk for example. Remember Mitt Romney telling us what a utopia China was - all those Chinese suffering under extreme poverty lining up at factories to work horrid low paying jobs... No war with China.. Get serious.

Then please tell why China is militarising the Sth China sea, or why China are in the progress of surrounding northern Australia.

China will come into conflict with the US alright but likely only once they start trying to take Australia so they have somewhere to grow their food and go live once nth of the equator is in nuclear fallout.

Nonsense you reckon - consider Australian attitudes of late towards Chinese positioning.

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   

We've been in conflict with China for decades, it's just not a hot direct confrontation because of all the trade but that could easily change as global trade morphs due to the shutdowns.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The mention of China in the OP is just part of his bio and accolades of past works. The video isn't about China.

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I mentioned in another post (more than once) that Ukraine had the opportunity to negotiate with Russia but refused to budge. This was at the prodding of the United States and the UK. The rest of Europe, particularly the Germans, wanted no part in annoying the Russian bear. It's not far-fetched to imagine a nuclear incident. It may be inevitable now.

The history as described in this video speaks for itself. Everyone was warned.

edit on 1-7-2022 by Phantom423 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Phantom423

"Ukraine had the opportunity to negotiate with Russia but refused to budge"

And because they didn't 'budge', they deserved to be invaded by Russian soldiers. Well I hope Russian invaders bleed harder. This 'special military operation ' is just bullying by Putin. If Russian military let's him stay in power, then they deserve what the country gets.

new topics

top topics

join