It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Backup your Hard Drive and Files -- The ABCs of External Hard Drives

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So you get a new computer.
Especially after the one you currently use fails.

Maybe it's time to investigate external hard drives to back up your OS and files.
Before you find yourself in the same mess.

I'd like to focus on Windows, rather than alternative OS. But I guess back up methods are similar.
This drive would be used for OS recovery only, and file storage...NOT gaming.

Do you have to set up partitions?
I guess if you wanted to back up two PCs/laptops partition would be a necessity.
What is the easiest way to do that? Is a utility needed?

Also, it might be good to talk about the ability to recover the data from your external drive, should it fail.
Are there utilities that recover? And which is best?

edit on Sun Jun 19 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: EDIT to title....not just backup of OS, but OS and files

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I've recently had to re-install Windows a couple times. The first time was very frustrating, even though I actually was a little bit prepared, but things went much smoother the 2nd time, since I already had the clean version of Windows saved on a hard drive. I know I'm still not as prepared as I should be. I don't have everything backed up, but just having all of the programs I regularly use saved on the external hard drive saved me a lot of time.

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I've kept the HDDs and SSDs from my family's old computers for backup/storage and use docking stations to access them. I have something like 160 TB of storage from those.

For Windows, the built-in "Disk Management" is all you need to create partitions.

I have duplicate backups since I have more storage than I could possibly need right now. I have used several recovery tools in the past and thought that "Disk Drill" was the best of the ones I've tried.
edit on 19 6 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Not a professional myself that's why I got IT company to setup my shop network and home computer.

But I can tell you that OS recovery is unnecessary when you store your data on a different partition, at best hard drive. A win10 installation takes like 10 minutes and everything is fresh. Even I can do that, have two USB sticks (one as backup) with bootable win10 and ubuntu setups.

The OS run on their own hard drives and the data too, I was told that is best for file security. The data is like saved on two drives at the same time and I have another rack for backup. You do not have to use partitions but it makes things easier when you only have one hard drive for data and windows. Because you can just override the windows partition and everything is there.

At a certain point of the day, a program backups all my files from the shop to the home computer and vice versa through a VPN tunnel over the internet. This way, even if one building burns down completely, I still have all the data in the other one. And it's encrypted and save during transfer.

Instead of relying on recovery options I would just always make sure you have at least two separate copies. So three storage places. Then you're good and do not have to bet on being able to recover, because you don't need to.

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Seems like you learn new things and things go a little smoother every time.

I remember when Windose actually sent a back CD with every purchase.
Then they made a D: recovery.
Although if your computer has failed, the D: is pretty useless as well.....

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Keeping a backup of the OS itself is no longer really a thing for home users. Making and keeping a standard Windows install USB is fine. It can be used to reinstall or repair a Windows installation.

I also keep a 5 TB external HD that I picked up from Best Buy for about $90 and just use it to store all of my personal files that could be lost in a full reinstall. That way if I ever need to mess with Windows I can just unplug the USB drive from the system and those files are safe.

IMO the only reason for multiple partitions in a Windows machine these days if one is dual booting with another OS ( Linux for example ) - and that brings with it it's own set of UEFI difficulties and problems.

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If you are running Windows 10 - 11 , you get 5GB of storage with OneDrive.
Tied to your account .
Free .

To update I have Microsoft 365 personal , so 1TB

edit on 6/19/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Really?
Did not know that.
And it is safe and secure?

Is that where the backup to Windows is on 11? Or is that something you have to manually do yourself?

Is it likely to be hacked...as in would you keep a copy of your income taxes on it??

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Really?
Did not know that.
And it is safe and secure?

Is that where the backup to Windows is on 11? Or is that something you have to manually do yourself?

Is it likely to be hacked...as in would you keep a copy of your income taxes on it??

I had to alter that .
It is usually 5GB
I get extra .

I never use it though , it was just a thought .

I used to have 2 storage nodes , each in a RAID 5 (with HSP) , and clustered .
Double layer redundancy.

NAS is the way to go now .

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Doubtful .
Yes , I would use it .

However if you have an internal NAS storage and isolate from the external network , that is very secure as well .
And accessible from any PC you own.

For backing up one hard drive :
Purchase a good external drive at least the size of the current drive)
Use something like Macrium Reflect.
Set it up to clone the HDD periodically (or do manual)

What happens when if you lose the current drive ?
Purchase one.
Install it.
Connect the external drive.
Set Macrium to clone the new drive from the backup .
Wait .
Exact replica of the last time you backed up the drive.
Prosper .

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have something called Toolkit Backup Slim drive. It holds 2 TB, and you can set it up to backup your files when you boot up your computer, or whenever you want to. I have mine set up to update whenever I log on to my computer which is most every day. It connects via USB port, and you can remove it when you want to.

I like to keep things simple. This is simple to use and intuitive. I usually forget it's there. If my hard drive ever craps out, I'm confident that what is on my backup would be able to replace everything. I think I got it at Best Buy. It was a little more pricey than something you would get at WalMart, but in this thing, I believe you get what you pay for.

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   
But can NAS be used to back up two devices?
One a desktop, the other a laptop.
Both using Windows 11.

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I have found One Drive to be rather intrusive.
I get emails periodically, reminding me of events/pictures from my history.

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 07:06 PM
link   

But can NAS be used to back up two devices?
One a desktop, the other a laptop.
Both using Windows 11.

Anything connected to the same network via cables or WiFi.
NAS works by connecting the storage to a router . I would use a router other than the one that connects the devices to the internet .
Then you assign "folders" to each person/device.
Thus , you could back up any device to NAS as long as it had the storage space .
This takes a bit of work , and a bit more knowledge .
You can put multiple drives (depending on which you purchase) and some times put them in a RAID array .This provides redundancy .

RAID 1 (2 drives) - Each drive is a mirror of the other . If one fails , the system can continue without interruption.
Drawbacks - 1/2 the storage size installed.

RAID 5 (3+) drives - all the data is "striped" across all drives . Again , lose a drive , no problem .
Drawbacks - you lose the total space of one drive.

This may help :

What is NAS

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I have found One Drive to be rather intrusive.
I get emails periodically, reminding me of events/pictures from my history.

It's not so much intrusive (the ads come from Windows and can be disabled ) , but it does use resources .

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I don't think I'm ready for NAS.
An external hard drive is more doable and practical.

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I don't think I'm ready for NAS.
An external hard drive is more doable and practical.

Yeah , I sent a message to you on that.
But if you want total piece of mind , NAS is the way to go .

On OneDrive , you can uninstall that as well .

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 08:12 PM
link   
We'll see if I can be up to the task on the NAS.

As for one drive...
Yay!
That I will do.
Thank you!

PM4U

edit on Sun Jun 19 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I have 3 computers - used at the same time for different purposes.
I back all of them up on EHDs and keep them in a fireproof box - because my life is on them. I do not trust any clouds or any servers outside of my own house. I know far to many cyber security engineers and government certified ethical hackers and they all recommend to me not to do that. So I don't.

My main computer - I hardly have anything saved on it. I use to run programs and save everything on the EXD attached to it. Which I remove every time I shut down.
My laptop has a lot saved on it - but nothing that if lost, screws me. For example, if I took a screen shot to post here - it would be saved on the laptop hardrive itself and if that crashes and I lose everything - no biggie. I just keep my PC very very clean - its the fastest computer I have and if something happened to it - nothing is lost.
My other laptop is for work and the only stuff on there is programs and stuff that must stay on it. Most everything tho is saved on an EHD so it can be hooked up to other computers elsewhere.

I think if you get some EHD, you will be fine. They are so cheap now and hold so much. You really dont need to keep much on an actual computer anymore!
edit on 2022 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2022 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I use symlinks to point all my programs to an external drive. Simple reinstaill of the software, and point them back, no loss. No reconfig..

Some programs don't like it, but they're rare. I've had the same gaming drive for over a decade now, I'd hate to have to reinstall those archaic games lol.

Cam be hit and miss, but those that miss are finkciky buggers in the first place..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join