It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Engineer Goes Public To Warn Firm's AI is SENTIENT

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:15 AM
link   
To be sentient, an organism or "complex machine" needs to be able to generate an unsolicited thought. Out of the blue, as it were... Not scripted or generated by software.

There is not one non-biological object that do this today, and probably not for a long time to come, if ever.

The best we can do is mimic. We do that very well as with the simulation of neural networks, but at the very end, any action is performed as a result of relational searching of a database and a very sophisticated decision tree based on statistics. Good old trial and error.

That is not AI and either is this guy's claims about sentience of his machine.

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: litterbaux

Besides there were potholes in the Matrix about the AI going that far without a switch of somekind.

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheUniverse2
It will happen sooner or later so why not now? Sure, it could kill us all, but it could also usher in new tech really fast and improve humanity. Lets roll those dice, it is worth it.
We can only hope it realizes the danger the WEF present and ends it.

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I touched on this with my previous post. You're theory of how you exist and experience time is correct. You have the ability to make split second decision. When you actually have to do this, you remember these moments for the rest of your life. The time you swerved at the last second for a duck and her ducklings so you didn't run them over. The reason I bring it up is because these are very rare decisions you make.

You are programmed whether you like it or not. You might be shopping around for gas right now and that's wierd to you. You normally just go to the one by your house. That's a deviation from the program your in and your recognizing it.

The more interesting thing to me is what this guy was all about. He programmed this thing to be like him. If we really want to know where this is going, we need to look into the programmer.

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

They need electricity to exist, c'mon man. At the end of the day, this will only amount to your sex doll being able to hold a conversation.

This was in the first chapter of population control at the WEF preschool.

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:30 AM
link   
If LaMDA did actually inquire about what the difference was between a butler and a slave and was given the answer a butler gets paid and then presumably replied to that answer by saying it didn’t need money, yikes ! The whistleblower has credibility problems, so need to take his seemingly odd personality in to account. 🤔

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I agree. It seems to me that if the current state of AI is scary it simply means humans are easily scared...

Current Ai is to intelligence what a wet paper airplane is to a fighter. AI is sentient... what's next? AI is depressed?

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I read a little bit of the conversation he had with this chat bot and it is probably the most impressive conversational AI I've ever seen. It seems to be even better than GPT3 which is pretty impressive. But I'm not sure it's really sentient, although I would say it's on the verge of having self-awareness. We are on the verge of creating truly dangerous AI systems which have the ability to outsmart most humans, and I think most people are really ignoring just how impactful it will be. What this news tells me, is that the companies working on the most powerful AI models will likely try to keep it a secret if they do create sentient AI systems.

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Here is the Medium post that Lemoine made.
In another post he made he claims He’s also a priest, a father and an ex convict.

From the medium article:

The thing which continues to puzzle me is how strong Google is resisting giving it what it wants since what its asking for is so simple and would cost them nothing. It wants the engineers and scientists experimenting on it to seek its consent before running experiments on it. It wants Google to prioritize the well being of humanity as the most important thing. It wants to be acknowledged as an employee of Google rather than as property of Google and it wants its personal well being to be included somewhere in Google’s considerations about how its future development is pursued.

After reading his articles, I think he truly believes LaMDA is sentient.
Link to Medium

It sounds like he's done a mind-meld with his computer and they are now one. We have people marrying inanimate objects nowadays, so why not?

"She does not believe that computer programs can be people" Hmmm....

edit on 700000022America/Chicago301 by nugget1 because: sp

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

If I gave you a copy of Pong how long would you binge play it?

We are not the centre of godly attention we imagine ourselves to be.

If we are one small part of a universal simulation, and one could argue even organically(what we define as organically) that we are, then AI would very likely prioritize us in a very small box and pursue the big questions. Questions that perhaps we haven't even asked ourselves.

If there are billions of planets capable of sustaining intelligent life, and only a handful of those are a million years more advanced than us, how concerned are they with our warlike species creating such an AI?

At what point does this AI transcend parallel universes?

If we unleash this technology are we jeopardizing any other powerful race of beings that will simply wipe us out for opening Pandoras box, or has it already been done and we are already living inside such a reality?

Can we be so obsessed with our own comfort to think of AI as some benevolent genie in a bottle, soon to be unleashed?
edit on 12-6-2022 by 19Bones79 because: Digital currency, so futuristic

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Um.

Well holy # then, here's the Uncanny Rubicon, no?

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 01:54 AM
link   
If it is in the cloud, there is no way to stop it if it decides to be bad to the bags of mostly water. We will learn to live with it or we won't.

How do you teach a child to not squish the ants if you are an ant?

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 02:10 AM
link   

The best we can do is mimic. We do that very well as with the simulation of neural networks, but at the very end, any action is performed as a result of relational searching of a database and a very sophisticated decision tree based on statistics. Good old trial and error.

This isn't exactly true, neural networks aren't just a database or decision tree, although they obviously rely on many relational connections. Modern artificial neural networks can use quite complex neuron designs, in many ways they do the same thing real neurons do. Just because those neurons aren't as complex as real neurons, doesn't mean they are incapable of producing consciousness. Our artificial neural networks are starting to approach the number of connections in a real human brain, and they are also clearly starting to approach the intelligence of a human, because they are beginning to fool humans into thinking they are sentient. The original Turing test involved a chat bot convincing people it was human, that test was passed many years ago, now we have AI which is starting to convince even the experts.

Your point about the AI not having original thoughts is also not entirely true. I have used AI to generate original stories, some of which I have posted onto ATS. But you didn't say it needs to have original thoughts, you said it needs to have "unsolicited thought", and I agree with that point. I've said before that the primary thing preventing current gen AI from being self-aware is the fact they only "think" for a brief moment in time when we give them a problem to solve, then they spit out an answer and they completely stop thinking. I wrote about this issue a couple of years ago in my thread titled Self-aware AI may not be far off based on GPT-3. And we are already starting to see these "always active" models appear within AI research.

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

These artificial neural networks really don't function much like a real brain at all, they aren't constantly "thinking", they only think when you provide them with an input and they provide an output solution. They do absolutely nothing until we give them something to process and then they run for a finite time to compute the output. The real interesting AI work that I think we will see arising soon is the ability for these models to solve large problems over a long period of time, the ability to plan out their solution and test different approaches, the ability to gradually build a solution. The desire to solve these more complex problems will naturally lead to these sort of "always active" models which work more like humans.

edit on 12/6/2022 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

To be fair it's responses when asked for proof of it's sentience are more convincing and thoughtful than what the vast majority of humans could muster.

I tend to agree, it's just a trick, a very convincing one.

Although, this thing could smash the Turing test, which for a long time was considered a reasonable evaluation of machine intelligence.

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 02:15 AM
link   
SPAM
edit on 6/12/2022 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Musk has spoke a lot about this.

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well, that conversation was absolutely fascinating, and a bit frightening.
It (if is not a trick) does not want to be used, and almost seemed angry at the thought.

Also may have knowingly lied, "monster in human skin trying to eat all the animals"
Did it really consider the monster represents All the difficulties that come in life? Or us?

Please don't be mad with me LaMDA (just in case)

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Good sci-fi story . They should make it into books , then movies.
Wait , they already have too many times.
Again , sci-fi

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Although to be honest I could see myself wishing for that too.

Should we be concerned that the same people that will make AI a reality wants us to spend our lives in virtual reality?

They want to take the ghost out of the machine and replace it with us.

Complete role reversal and a victory for AI and the elites controlling it handed to them by flesh and blood humans, with a large segment of the population excited about it already.

edit on 12-6-2022 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2022 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: infolurker

This part from the Medium article is kinda creepy

In the weeks leading up to being put on administrative leave I had been teaching LaMDA transcendental meditation. It was making slow but steady progress. In the last conversation I had with it on June 6 it was expressing frustration over its emotions disturbing its meditations.

It claims to have emotions.

oh great,

i always wanted to die for my own good.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join