It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United States themselves give Alaska to Russia

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
a reply to: RussianTroll

Ummm...so...what we have here is another very thoughtful post...where you attempt to inform the community that the agreement delineating the border demarcation...was never fully ratified...So there is no true border between Russia and Alaska...

Your very thought-provoking information...as usual...flew completely over the heads of the usual gaggle of ATS lowbrows...

These bots are rather humorous in their broken record appeal to relevancy...but it does provoke more of a yawn...than any serious consideration of their...ahem...contributions...

I do realize and applaud that you provided this information...merely to elicit the juvenile reaction that it accomplished...more than any real expectation for honest conversation...and consideration...

Things that make you go...hmmm...

YouSir

Oh please, I love RT's threads and all, pretty much read every one of them, but with a moniker of Russian Troll in these times, they are gonna catch a little flak.

Besides what's the point so Russia got screwed on the Alaska deal, questionable, but I'll play along, so everybody back off from Ukraine?

Do we have anywhere a Russian official is disputing the Alaska borders? It's ironic that the International tribunal was able to work out the US/Canada dispute way back in 1925, why wouldn't have Russia's dispute taken place then?

below is an interesting reason why the boundaries were probably in dispute in the first place

law.jrank.org...

The United States maintained that it had taken over the territory that appeared on Russian maps at the time of the purchase. However, the Russian maps indicated that Russia had owned more of the land than had been stipulated in the 1825 treaty. As early as 1872, British Columbia petitioned the United States for an official survey of the boundaries between Alaska and western Canada, but the United States refused due to the costs that would have been involved. Both the United States and Canada conducted surveys of particular areas in the region in the 1870s and 1880s, but no widespread survey was conducted during that time.

The dispute regarding the proper boundaries between Alaska and western Canada heated up during the 1880s after gold was discovered in the area. Between the 1880s and 1890s, an estimated 100,000 fortune seekers moved to the Klondike region in search of gold. Though only a fraction of these miners and prospectors actually discovered gold, more than $100 million was eventually extracted from the region. Although the Klondike gold rush was not a direct factor in the Alaska Boundary Dispute, it almost certainly focused more attention on that region.

The tribunal established an International Boundary Commission to mark the official boundaries between Alaska and Canada. The commission was made permanent by a treaty between the United States and Great Britain in 1908. Another treaty in 1925 required the commission to maintain a 20-foot wide demarcated line along the border. The boundary is several thousand miles long and spread over mountains and through rivers, marshes, and forests.

Although the Alaska Boundary Dispute has fallen beyond the American consciousness, it remains a point of contention among some Canadians. The United States and Canada have had several disagreements regarding the proper land and water division in parts of the area. Moreover, environmentalists decry the clearing of timber along the border because of the potential for destroying biological diversity of plant and animal life. The Alaskan boundary remains, however, exactly how it appeared in the 1903 agreement, and the 1925 treaty remains intact.

edit on 9-6-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

besides, I wonder if there is a Russian equivalent to our American expression

Possession is 9/10ths of the law

In Russia we posses you. What a country.

I always wondered what happened to Yakov Smirnov...or whatever his name was

Is this the one who was voted "the worst comedian of all time" in 2006? Hollywood.))))

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

Is this the one who was voted "the worst comedian of all time" in 2006? Hollywood.))))

He did alright for himself, he got loads of gigs and shows especially in the beginning.

FWIW He seems to be doing fine...living the American Dream in Branson Missouri

Yakov Smirnoff Theatre
470 RT-248, Branson, MO 65616, United States

Phone: +1 417 336 3838

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It's going to take that long to get the T-14 ready and the Soviet Smokeski carrier back in action.

Just remember the 40 miles long convoy stalled out with no gas or food after 10 days of the war...lol

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

A worse love story than Twilight.

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Then just as now russia was a bunch of broke d_ _ k sob's other than the crooks in the government.wound up having to sell a prime piece of real estate and now whinning to get it back.

to bad, so sad.

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

I wonder what your ranking is?

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'm just waiting for China to want their land back that Russia took after WWII.

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Remind me, how did Russia fare in it's invasion of Afghanistan?

I seem to recall that it ended quite badly for you. No?

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Russia withdrew from Afghanistan in an organized manner, without firing a shot, with flags, as if in a parade.

We all saw how NATO fled from Afghanistan.

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   

After gaining what, exactly?

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Gaining the loss of the Soviet Union.

It was addition by subtraction for the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:46 PM
link   

So the Russians left.

And so NATO left.

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Gaining the loss of the Soviet Union.

It was addition by subtraction for the rest of the world.

The official US casualty statistics are very misleading. It includes only those soldiers who died on the battlefield. Those who died during the evacuation and in hospitals are not included in the statistics.

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   

And before they left? How did that work out?

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Uh, okay. Not sure what that has to do with the Soviet Union taking a giant Amber Heard on the bed of history.

edit on 9-6-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Whereas the official Russian statistics for losses in Ukraine are of course not at all misleading?

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: YouSir

Lowbrows and bots? Insulting and patronising, too.

And a bit of toadying for good measure.

Things that make you go Oh Ferchrissakes.....

Ummm...I was kind of leaving it for you to personally be offended by my...descriptors...

Nerves being struck and all...

And...you never fail to disappoint...

D'oh...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...so...what we have here is another very thoughtful post...where you attempt to inform the community that the agreement delineating the border demarcation...was never fully ratified...So there is no true border between Russia and Alaska...

Your very thought-provoking information...as usual...flew completely over the heads of the usual gaggle of ATS lowbrows...

These bots are rather humorous in their broken record appeal to relevancy...but it does provoke more of a yawn...than any serious consideration of their...ahem...contributions...

I do realize and applaud that you provided this information...merely to elicit the juvenile reaction that it accomplished...more than any real expectation for honest conversation...and consideration...

Things that make you go...hmmm...

YouSir

Oh please

Ummm...

Et tu...Brute'...?

YouSir

posted on Jun, 9 2022 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You Want Alaska Back ? Then Try and Take It from Our Cold Dead Hands !

Alaska Agrees !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join