It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Problem with a realtor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Hi, so i have a weird situation going on, i am trying to buy a place from the middle of nowhere, went to check out the place, seemed nice, and i got the the building inspection papers to go trough at home. once home i noticed that the report was two years old, and the building has been empty for two winters, so lots of things can go wrong with the building in that time, so i figured to offer the asking price, if it includes a new inspection. so phoned the realtor, but after a minute, he just hung up on me, before that, he did tried to convince me not to get a new inspection done, that was pretty strange, since it common practice here. Anyways, the problem seems to also be that the realtor is retired, and is doing this as a hobby, he was also obviously an alcoholic, around 60-70 years old.

I am worried that the realtor might be too deep in the ol hooch to get things done, or might be just senile,

Now i have one question, what can i do?

I found the contact information of the owner from the building inspection, should i dismiss the realtor and directly contact the seller? seems like poor etiquette but in all fairness the realtor was not fit to do the job anymore,was rude, and just hung up on me even when i offered the asking price for the house.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

You have the right to do your due diligence. You can always contact the owner and let him know of your experience. Also you may want to pass on this property if things don't keep adding up.
edit on 25-5-2022 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Giving it one more chance by contacting the owner, if things do not clear up definetly walking away, i have never encountered a situation like this, previous dealings with different realtors have been very efficient.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Do you have your own "buyers agent" or are you dealing with the "sellers agent"?

If you don't have an agent your only option is to advocate for yourself.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

Sellers agent.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
As a realtor you should have had your own agent. Even if you went through the listing agent you should have your own independent inspection done of the dwelling and also the the land. Land can have many caveats. In most cases the listing agent will look out for the best interest of the seller and even in dual agency they may side with the hand that feeds them. Every state is different and this is not legal advice but buyer beware. reply to: XipeTotex

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 02:59 PM
link   
If you do end up reaching an agreement with I seller, I would encourage you to at least have a real estate lawyer of your own review the contract.

I had a friend sign away most of his rights in a for sale by owner contract. Then covid happened, as per his contract he missed the due date and the entire amount became due immediately with a contractual 30 day eviction deadline. He was unable to secure a loan in that time.

Edit: I agree with sirlancelot, there are so many other things that can go wrong. Their knowable and experience are worth the investment.
edit on 25-5-2022 by Jason79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The seller agent works for the seller.

It has problems, or they have other offers not contingent upon inspection, or think they will.
Call the owner, talk to them about their agent hanging up on you.
You can also report the agent to state licensing board for refusing to present all offers, like they are supposed to.
Be aware that if there are issues, the seller and agent already know it.
Your offer needs to be contingent upon inspection, or you are gambling.
The behavior is bad, so the potential for the deal being bad is high.
I would walk. There are a lot of people unloading their problems right now for big money.
It may be termite powder held up by 36 layers of lead paint, on top of a sinkhole, with a radioactive well on top of a demolition order because a highway is being put through your house next year, assuming you can pay the 100k lien before you sell it.
You are a great candidate for hiring an agent.
You are more likely to get an offer heard and have limited experience.
Good luck..get some advocates on your side. At least a re attorney.
Toilet paper and inspections should never be cheaped out on, or you know what happens.
I am not an agent, just an investor. I've seen it all. Everyone likes money.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Red Flags Everywhere...

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Pay for your own inspection. If it come up good you've bagged your dream home. If not... You've lost cash but dodged a bullet.

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Don't you have your own realtor to do this stuff for you?
And you ALWAYS pay for your own independent inspection on a house.
edit on 2022 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 05:52 PM
link   
After I got hurt and began using a prosthetic leg I was bored so I got my real estate lic. in my state, Massachusetts.
I then did the same in Rhode Island.
I did very well and when it came time for the required continuing ed. to keep them I took it a step further and got my Brokers Lic. meaning I could open my own real estate company if I wanted too.
Laws in every state are different, some very different.
Right now I say, take a step back.
If you hire a buyers agent to work with and that person turns out to be horrible(they often do!) then you are obligated to use this agent until the contract with them expires.
I had a nasty situation with my niece who was trying to buy in Philadelphia.
Luckily I was able to catch the agent in a flagrant lie once I read all the documents and the agents boss was willing to rip up the contract.
Real Estate screws ups in my state can come with triple penalties.

If you’d like to PM me I may very well be able to help you once I know the state you are looking tobiy in and look at the pertinent laws.

Cheers…..

da pirate 😎

posted on May, 25 2022 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Some great advice on this thread. I worked in real estate for a few years. Unless the realtor is a buyer broker, they are working for the seller and their interests. There are buyer brokers out there, but they are not high in number, nor easy to find. Buyer brokers are looked down on by most realtors for some reason.

Even though the realtor is working for the seller, they should be passing on offers to the seller. The fact that the home inspection was two years old is a huge red flag. Pay for a current home inspection. There could be any number of things wrong with the property, and you will get burned big time if you don't do this. Your realtor should not have been dismissive of you nor hung up on you. To me, that is misconduct and is reportable. You can withdraw your offer and contract with the realtor based on just that. Any decent realtor will be happy to recommend a home inspector to do this. Mine did when I bought my condo. It was worth every penny and saved me thousands of dollars.

As some have said on here, it would be a good idea to get an attorney that specializes in real estate contracts. I think the current realtor has some serious issues and probably shouldn't even have a license to sell real estate. I don't think he has any ground to stand on if you withdraw your offer and walk away. Just be careful whatever you do. Good luck.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Perhaps the British system, from my own experience, offers more protection. Buyer's solicitor drawing up the contract and searching out any legal problems, buyer pays for his own surveyor's inspection. Getting expert help.

new topics

top topics

join