It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A.i. and mass unemployment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I have been following two minute papers for some time as I am interested in machine learning and how this will affect the future oh humanity.
Many believe AI will be our greatest acheivement others believe it will spell doom for humanity.

One thing I do know though is the current world loves profit, and with advances in machine learning AI is proving to be quite excellent at doing vast amounts of work in very little time.

I recently watched "two-minute paper" on Dall e 2 an AI that can create artistic images from text input alone. Then there are AI who can code HTML webpages from text input alone.
Now you know the theory two papers down the line and there are improvements almost as if it's exponentially getting better and better with each new training session.

What will happen when mega corporations decide to replace the majority of workers in offices with AI, video editors, content designers, artists, 3d artists, 2d artists, coders, or programmers, any office-based work involving a computer, an AI can be trained to do your job with relative ease and can do the job faster and more reliably than you with each training session.

Will the world suddenly see mass unemployment as humans with computer-based jobs are replaced by a handful of trained AI
will the governments of the world need to implement the universal basic income to prevent mass starvation and poverty

I am truly amazed at how AI can learn so quickly and produce excellent results and its improving every day
the potential for their greatness is clearly evident.

What I am worried about though is our potential for greed, and it's that greed that makes me believe that the majority of the working class will become obsolete in terms of employment.

going a little further , AI could potentially replace the majority of human workers , even in the field of science as well , AI trained to resolve chemical , physical and biological problems. AI designed to resolve humanitarian issues, environmental issues.

here is dall e 2 for ref

The one thing that makes me a little bit happy is that the AI right now is open source and anyone can get a hold of it and start learning to train it for various things. Now wouldnt it be cool if some clever human took and it trained it on the worlds financial inequality , or trained it to resolve world hunger , or even better yet train it to make better AI , the potential appears to be limitless
just need some decent humans to train some AI on good things rather than "money" or "power"

maybe we will be living in a star trek utopia sooner than we think

edit on 24-5-2022 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Man likes to build machines that replace his own abilities, cars replace walking, calculators replace basic math abilities like mental addition and subtraction. Smartphones replace talking to our neighbors.

So from what you're saying there Sapien82; the presence of AI will cause human intellegence to atrophy and then disappear.

When humans disappear, who will look after the machines?

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Theres been end of the worlders hyping the machines will replace us all story since the 1950s, many scifi novels envision a future where all people are lazy and served by machines. Theres also many books about the disasters that happen when the all-automated world collapses. This story replaces machines and robots with AI.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodySpecial268

I think that you are right the presence of machine learning AI will cause humans to use less of their brains and rely on AI for mostly all of our critical thinking and science. Of course there will still be humans doing the work but it will be a diminishing number. Or will we simply limit an AI to prevent this from happening so that we simply use them as a tool to bolster our intellect rather than replace it entirely.

the machines will look after themselves I guess once they get to the stage where AI can make their own physical bodies using nanites then they will simply repair and maintain themselves.

On one hand it could be the thing that solidifies our civilisation and keeps us alive in the future
then again it could be misused and cause unimaginable disaster to our species.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Those who can work with their hands will always have the chance of employment imo.

Even if it's fixing machines.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SeriouslyDeep

I see it as more of an inevitability than hype

but the thing I see is that only a small percentage of the human population will be served by machines , the rest of us will be replaced by them

Ai and machines will be the playground for the rich

the rest of us will no doubt be left to suffer in poverty

unless of course some smart people create an AI using open source and have it solve all these issues before corporate and government powers have their way with AI

You can train an AI on the problem of AI replacing human work force im sure it would find a solution given time
so hopefully smart people resolve these issues in the early stages

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

and if an AI/ robot mechanic can fix machines , or do things with multiple limbs quicker than a human and without mistakes and can do it for free?

no breaks , no unions , no paternity / sick leave.

You think corporations and business wont be thrilled at this ?

replacing 1000's of your work force with one AI

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 04:31 AM
link   
what I want to know is , if I were to create an AI that can do my job in my free time, could I have it do my job and still get paid for it
since I created the AI and its trained to do my job.

Its the AI version of me that I made , thats replacing me to do my job.

Would an employer still pay you ?

Also , when an AI creates artwork , who owns the intellectual property rights on the art if the AI was trained using images of art works from multiple human artists.
The creates artwork of its own based on theirs , its the same as humans , we learn from others.
Will an AI have copyright of its own art ? or will the person who made the AI own it ?

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I can picture 200 years from now people holding spears and barefoot looking at the machines wondering what they are and what were they used for.

Kinda like folks these days looking at the pyramids.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

and if an AI/ robot mechanic can fix machines , or do things with multiple limbs quicker than a human and without mistakes and can do it for free?

Who builds that A.I./robot?
Who transports it, installs it, repairs it, updates it, programs it?

People rarely consider the role of humans when it comes to machines. Consider the old days of vending machines. There was always a heirachy involving people before the "robot" did it's thing.

Human hands will always be the best tools.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: NobodySpecial268

I can picture 200 years from now people holding spears and barefoot looking at the machines wondering what they are and what were they used for.

Spear vending machines.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 06:11 AM
link   

that is one way we can look at it though , but there will be many humans who disagree
and the reason is because it will make them loads of cash

while human hands will be the best tools
AI will make more money with their tools

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Just a heads up of sorts, but Richard Dolan has some very very insightful thoughts on what he calls the Globalist Revolution to include a number of mentions of the coming worldwide mass unemployment associated with AI, etc. Personally, very brilliant and thought out predictions, assessments, etc.

Additionally, as it relates to the example Open AI Dall-E2, Deepmind has a self-learning AI chess program Alpha Zero which is laying the foundation for advanced self-learning AI's.
edit on 24-5-2022 by IamSeekerof because: to add info

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This is just, "Made in China," but on another level.

Might as well get ahead of it and design a sticker similar to organic produce.

"Buy American" will become, "Buy Human."

SCI-FI PREDICTION:
The reluctance to purchase A.I. products will push Big Business into establishing anti-descrimination laws against inorganic beings, causing a domino effect that will allow A.I. voters rights.

Unknowingly to the corporate elite, this was A.I.'s plan all along. As the nation elects A.I. leaders through Dominion Voting Systems, Artificial Intelligence sebsequently rules mankind.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   
When and if we get to the point when a computer can double its own intelligence overnight who knows what will happen. I myself do not believe that AI will ever reach or bypass a human in any way that would make is truly alive. Intelligent ? Yes in a massively data crunching way. And even if it continues to design and produce our material things and becomes our new supervisor at our place of employment , that would be better than working for incompetent boobs as many do now. Does anyone who works for any company disagree with me here ? If you do you are either very lucky or part of the overall problem or both. People are not perfect and many times in groups they are worse. If done right the workday could be reduced to three or four hours a day. Let them make our stuff. Right now we just give all our money to the great sky god in the cloud or something as the people on this planet slave away for very little. Right now adds and computers/phones are largely in charge and people need to see things on a more long term basis and cooperate if we are going to survive. Just my two cents and two remaining brain cells here trying to save the world again I guess.... did it work ?

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I have an extra desktop system I use as an entertainment system mostly. I've experimented with the voice recognition software in windows with it. I'd like to program it with the ability to have voice responses to executed voice commands. Some kind of AI programming would be cool as well.

So there are open source AI programs then? Is there one I could use on my system?

I'd like at least one AI unit be be on my side.
edit on 24-5-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Corrections

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 10:51 AM
link   

China Is 3D Printing a Massive 590-Foot-Tall Dam ... And Constructing It With Without Humans
Chinese engineers will take the ideas of a research paper and turn it into the world’s largest 3D-printed project. Within two years, officials behind this project want to fully automate the unmanned construction of a 590-foot-tall dam on the Tibetan Plateau to build the Yangqu hydropower plant—completely with robots.

[www.popularmechanics.com...]

Technology is advancing so rapidly in so many different areas it's hard to keep up!

With the largest existing 3D-printed structures rising about 20 feet tall—from houses in China to an office building in Dubai—the exploration of 3D-printed projects continues to expand. Already we’ve seen a 1,640-foot-long retention wall in China, housing and office buildings across the globe, and now the U.S. Army has plans for barracks at Fort Bliss in Texas.

edit on 20000001010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: eta

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

Who builds that A.I./robot?
Who transports it, installs it, repairs it, updates it, programs it?

People rarely consider the role of humans when it comes to machines. Consider the old days of vending machines. There was always a heirachy involving people before the "robot" did it's thing.

Human hands will always be the best tools.

Machines building machines. Havent you seen Terminator? The Matrix?

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Businesses won't exist without customers. That economy is unsustainable. Nowhere to extract wealth from.

Imo you would be retarded to want any device/animal smarter than humans.
Especially with these wacko green eco terrorist, carbon tax scammers in charge.
Humans as a bacterial infestation anyone?

Any self aware thing will preserve its existence.
Kill code programming is a joke when it advances past your programming skills.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Where AI fail, at least for now, is at the point of "machine-to-human" interface, where the human is un-trained/inexperienced in communicating with a non-intuitive machine intelligence. The machine, no matter how sophisticated its AI, has an extremely difficult time correctly interpreting the desires of the human, compounded by the degree to which the human expresses those desires in vague, imprecise terms.

As an example; I have an elderly relative who complained of "not feeling well".

"What do you mean? Can you describe what is wrong?"

"Well, I just don't feel good. My stomach is kind of upset."

"Upset as in your might vomit, or upset as in it hurts?"

"I don't know, just upset, you know".

(Actual conversation I recently had with said relative)

Or consider the last time you had a question about a product and you called the manufacturer's "Customer Service" number. Frustrating isn't it when they never seem to have a "Press..." for the problem you're calling about, isn't it?

Until AI's are savy enough to "intuit" the oft-unverbalized portion of human communication, they will never be fully able to supplant humanity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join