It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Electric car owners

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Right now, an Electric car will save you a few dollars (on average) then gas car. However, I will warn you that not always going to be the case. Most people charge their cars at home during off-peak hours. This is between the hours of around 9ish at night to 5am (power companies vary). At these times the power demand is less, and power companies sell electricity at a lower rate. Yet, if you were charging the car during peak hours, you wouldn’t likely see much difference in fuel cost between a fuel effluent gas car and an electric car. If too many people get an electric car, then power companies would no longer have ‘off-peak’ hours. So yes, as things are now, you’ll save a few dollars. Long term...not likely.

posted on Jan, 31 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yesterday, U.S. President Joe Biden drove out a new electric Hummer. It's supposed to be one of the best Electric Vehicles yet!

He wants everybody to get one: www.foxnews.com...

I'll pass, for now.

But maybe some of you progressive ATS members are drooling over this new vehicle?

posted on Mar, 24 2023 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Electric cars will flop, go woke and get broke.

Update 3.24.2023

American Car Companies are Losing Billions of Dollars on Electric Vehicles.

Ford EV Loses $6 Billion over 3 years: www.breitbart.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 12:46 AM
link   
What about resale value? Are you going to want to buy an EV knowing that the battery warranty has expired or is about to expire, and the chances are excellent you're going to have to shell out another $5K-$10K to replace the power pack in the next couple of years?

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
What about resale value? Are you going to want to buy an EV knowing that the battery warranty has expired or is about to expire, and the chances are excellent you're going to have to shell out another $5K-$10K to replace the power pack in the next couple of years?

I also posted in another thread how Battery Strength wears down, just like Covid vaccines wear down in Strength.

After 4 years, the battery that used to get you 280 miles on a charge, will only get you 250 miles on a charge. I think all rechargeable batteries suffer that fate....from phones to laptops to regular car batteries to Electric Vehicle batteries.

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Charliebrowndog

My other neighbor was also looking at them and really liked it but they are both in IT security and had big reservations about the security and potential hackability of the software and they passed on buying one because of that issue.

Hope this helps

Newer models will have auto heating during charging. I don't think the cold effects the output, just the amount they can max charge up to, so newer models will be auto heating. A guy big in the business has said that the eclectic car even 5 years from now will not be like they are today with how fast the technology is growing.

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego

One would think that would lower the resale value at least to offset the additional costs of new battery. But what is 5 to 10k if you could get basically a new car.

posted on Mar, 25 2023 @ 09:33 AM
link   
So…instead of Lithium Ion, why not go down a row on the Periodic Table and make a Sodium Ion battery? Should be a much cheaper to extract metal considering 3/4 of the Earth is covered with it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join