It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Electric car owners

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 01:20 PM
link   
OIK we are selling our SRT and considering electric but I'm not seeing any savings fuel wise a bill is a bill whether it's Gas or Electric .

Have any of you broke down the cost per Mile and average cost for a full charge not to mention battery life and cost to replace battery's ?

Also how well does the car work in below zero temps ?

Interested in opinions and if anyone has sit down and did the actual cost charge and replacement If you have to replace the battery's every couple of years that needs to be added into the cost per mile .

Also if you let the car sit for a couple weeks does it hold a charge does it leach power just being parked thats money also .
edit on 20-5-2022 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher
I'm a forklift technician and the electric lifts with the new lithium batteries aren't supposed to operate below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I live in the upper Midwest and my neighbor has a Tesla and stated he would never buy another gas car again. This was before his wife was pregnant with triplets to go along with their other 2 kids so I did see a new van in the driveway, but back to the topic.

This was last fall but he said the cost of energy added to his electric bill was around $20/month which was significantly less than gas. He added the charging station himself and paid an electrician around $100 to do an inspection of his work to be safe.
Fortunately for us we live within 5 miles of some Tesla superchargers so he uses that quite often and cost is way less than half of what a tank of gas cost at that time. He said the the apps that Tesla had were very helpful in planning trips etc for long road trips. He stated that he could get a full charge in roughly 20-30 minutes on a Tesla charger and most were in convenient places so they would use the restroom and grab a bite to eat and by that time the charging was almost done.

He never had an issue with his battery in low temps and has not had to deal with replacement but I remember he stating the cost will vary on the size obviously. He has a smaller model and I want to say his battery replacement cost would be around $3000 IIRC. He has driven his for several years now and has had no issues and has done a lot of city driving as well as plenty of longer road trips (approx 500 miles a time). What he said he loved was the lack of other maintenance such as oil changes, brakes, etc which overall add to the maintenance cost and lost time making appointments for those services.
I also asked him how the car handled in snow and said he had no issues and feels it handled well because of the weight of the vehicle. We can get a lot of snow where I live and our street is one of the last to get plowed and I have seen him drive down the street in several of inches of snow with no issues.

My other neighbor was also looking at them and really liked it but they are both in IT security and had big reservations about the security and potential hackability of the software and they passed on buying one because of that issue.

Hope this helps

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I've owned a Tesla 3 for about 3 years.

First of all, the federal Government mandates that all new electric car batteries are warranted for at least 8 years. Many are warranted to 10 years. This mandate is to prevent the battery life anxiety you are experiencing.

Second, whether or not you save on electrical charging cost compared to gasoline cost depends on your circumstances. If you live in a situation where you can charge your car at your residence, you can usually take advantage of lower electricity costs for off-peak hours. That's what I do, and it is definitely cheaper than the equivalent amount of gasoline. If you can't do that for some reason (like being a renter in a place that doesn't have the right kind of hookup) and you have to charge primarily at public chargers, it might be a wash or slightly more expensive. Being able to charge overnight to take care of travel the next day is the optimum use case.

I haven't had any experience with the Tesla in extremely cold conditions. The answer to this question might depend on exactly which brand of EV you choose.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   
A couple of my co-workers have the Tesla 3. As mentioned above, they say they will never go back to an ICE. We live in Mid-Michigan and they say they have no issues with the winter weather.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I certainly wouldn't say this would apply for everyone, because that would be incorrect, but in certain situations, certain electric vehicles can be a pretty good bargain energy-wise.

Example of near perfect conditions for this:

A close relative living in the Phoenix area has a 3 year old Model 3 he purchased around a year ago from his state government employer, making use of a 10k 'stipend' from that same employer that was funded by U.S. taxpayers as his down payment.

He has a 1 hour stop and go rush hour commute twice a day, and uses this vehicle for local driving when he has no more than 1 passenger, and has a large gasoline SUV for when the whole fam is going somewhere, that his wife drives to work because she works very close to home.

He mostly charges at work where that same employer used those same U.S. taxpayer funds to install free chargers for it's employees. He also occasionally charges at home overnight and weekends when electricity here is 1/3 the normal rate.

This person is a detail oriented math geek with a side of OCD, and has calculated that his total cash investment, after subtracting the fuel costs from his previous car (Altima), and the various tax benefits, had him recouping his entire electric car investment in 4 years, which is simply astounding.

He also has taxpayer subsidized solar panels that reduced his average 300.00 electric bill to 100.00 even after adding the electric car, but he also has a 150.00 solar loan payment for 7 years so he's really only saving 50.00 + the cost of charging the car every month for the first 7 years.

Now this is obviously pretty close to a best case example that few will be able to duplicate, but it is now possible for some folks with heavy assistance from taxpayers to save a good deal of money by switching to electric.

It should be noted, that I also live in Central Arizona, could easily afford an electric vehicle, and do not have one because the total net cost for me would be far higher than the gasoline vehicles that I own now (even at current gas prices) and there are few electric vehicle service options in my more rural area.

Also because there is only 1 electric vehicle model on the market that I would actually be interested in, and it's both way too new to determine reliability, and isn't the type of vehicle I'll likely be purchasing next

It's a near lux sedan, and I bought one of those 10 years ago that's still in near showroom condition and that I hope to keep for another 10+ years, I'll be more interested in a pickup or large SUV whenever anyone decides to build a decent one, I know I'll need to replace my truck within a couple years, but I really don't like anything on the market right now with any kind of fuel source.

edit on 20-5-2022 by PatriotGames4u because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Electric cars will flop, go woke and get broke.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 05:04 PM
link   
A few things, as was said, if you can charge at home you will see a savings, most vehicles have been tested in extreme Temps. The new Ford F150 Lightning was tested in Alaska to -50 and in the Upper Penisula of Michigan.

As was also said, the warranty is 8/100 on the battery electrical components and the electric motor components. This is an area I know well, and can answer any coverage questions.

The vehicle itself in normal circumstances will lose 2 % of its battery if it sits for a month on average.

You will also receive a federal rebate of 7500 on a purchase of an EV.

The lightning can go from 0-60 in 4 seconds and has a backup generator. So if it's plugged into your house and you lose power, it will keep the power on for 3 days with average home use and up to 10 days if you ration your power.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Lithium batteries will do fine in the cold.
That's not the problem though.
Freezing to death or running your heat is.
If you decide to turn on your heater, you will not make your range and freeze to death anyway.
So in short, suicide would be preferable death compared to freezing to death and spending 70k etc to do it.

My dad's buddy just came back from buying one out of state.
After a tow and choice words with the dealer, they told him
"Well that stated range wasn't with the heat on!!"
Lmao...oh really now

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 06:33 PM
link   
all I can say is that my brother-in-law is very, very sorry he bought one !a reply to: Ravenwatcher

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 06:37 PM
link   
so the car has built-in converter and switch gear?
Anyone who backfeed their house and doesn’t know what they’re doing is in for a world of hurt!

a reply to: frogs453

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: !

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

lightning specs

300 mile range unloaded on best day
Mid 4 second theoretical marketing 0-60 time, not shown yet
2000lb targeted payload

Cut range in half for round trip, thats 150 range, call it 100 miles for reserves.
Cut in half for hauling...50 miles max away to a jobsite for instance.
Hope the lake is close to your house.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Which SRT do you have?
I just picked up the Jeep gc.
All black.
It is gd nasty.
500 hp ish.475 stock
4.2 sec 0-60, but cruises at 30mpg in 4 cylinder mode.
Absolutely love it.
"JC! wtf?" Is usually the response after hitting the launch control.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Same 'surprises' about running the AC in Arizona.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Electric cars will flop, go woke and get broke.

No, they won't

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut
all I can say is that my brother-in-law is very, very sorry he bought one !a reply to: Ravenwatcher

''

All I can say is that your answer isn't very helpful.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Well the 22 MY and 23 MY do have a bit higher range with the extended battery model.

Possibly yes anywhere from 30-50 with max hauling, same as mpg drop with a gas engine max hauling. And umm just pretend you never heard the 0-60 spec. I thought it was public already.

Of course you do have some who tow and many who don't. Not sure if right now it's the best vehicle for someone who tows all the time. Here in Michigan there are a ton of pickups with no real purpose except moving a couch or something and if you are going to a lake you're never really too far from one.

@PiratesCut. This is with the home charging station.

Ford Intelligent Backup Power, making its debut on F-150 Lightning, gives customers the ability to use bidirectional power technology** from their all-electric truck to provide energy to their homes during an outage, whether sheltering in a storm or keeping cool in a heat wave.

The F-150 Lightning extended-range battery system can store 131 kilowatt-hours of energy*** and deliver up to 9.6 kilowatts of power in a cleaner, quieter, more efficient way versus gasoline-powered generators, and with greater capacity than many wall battery units. F-150 Lightning can also offer lower-cost energy storage in a product customers already own – their truck.

With Ford Intelligent Backup Power and the Home Integration System, F-150 Lightning automatically kicks in to power your home if the grid goes down. Once power is restored, the system automatically reverts back to utility power.

I wouldn't plug it directly into an outlet, however your charging station is connected to your home line directly.

Link

edit on 20-5-2022 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:04 PM
link   
dupe. sorry
edit on 5/20/2022 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut
so the car has built-in converter and switch gear?
Anyone who backfeed their house and doesn’t know what they’re doing is in for a world of hurt!

That's why you hire a professional electrician to install your charger.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I bought a Challenger Hellcat as my midlife crises car (can't come up with any other reason for doing something so out of character), the only word I ever have after launch would get me in trouble here.

Mine is a little older though, none of that 4 cyl stuff.

My average mpg is usually in the 7 range according to the dash display, and I've never once cared.

It obviously isn't my daily driver though, I'd definitely care about mpg if it was.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join