It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative Heating For Home.. Instead Of Oil

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2022 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok
One thing most of you are all forgetting is that for an indoor wood stove, someone has to tend the fire or else the heat goes down when the fire dies.

And one thing you are forgetting is to read the previous posts properly.

Especially the one where I mention pellet woodburners that self feed. They are becoming more popular because they can be programmed to do exactly what you say cannot.

Also, why heat an empty house more than necessary? It takes 20 minutes to warm mine up once the fire is lit.

posted on May, 8 2022 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax
Chickens. They have a high body temperature. Build a roost under your house.

a reply to: HODOSKE

There are actually places in the planet (I think is in Tibet) where this is done with livestock. The stables are under the human living quarters and the animal warmth comes up through the floor.

posted on May, 8 2022 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Search on YouTube for videos of solar heaters made with old soda tins joined together , sorry I am on mobile and have no clue how to link , it seemed simple to set up with minimal skills and was working well even when covered in snow !

edit on 8/5/2022 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2022 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

If you have plenty of ash under the fire, you only have to sprinkle it over the fire and put the damper down, and it will stay ticking over for about eight hours, Sometimes for fun I cook on mine. Baked potatoes done that way are delicious.

posted on May, 8 2022 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Yeah (wo)man, there is quite a significant precedent attached to the practice.

a reply to: incoserv

posted on May, 8 2022 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

Especially the one where I mention pellet woodburners that self feed. They are becoming more popular because they can be programmed to do exactly what you say cannot.

Also, why heat an empty house more than necessary? It takes 20 minutes to warm mine up once the fire is lit.

:eyeroll:

I read the bloody posts just fine, Nerbot.

I am not talking about anything automated. I'm saying if there is a wood burning stove, it's going to have to be fed every 4-5 hours depending on the temperature and region. With any luck, pipes won't freeze during subzero temps.

Plus leaving fires unattended is a risk.

posted on May, 9 2022 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok

originally posted by: nerbot

:eyeroll:

I read the bloody posts just fine, Nerbot.

I am not talking about anything automated. I'm saying if there is a wood burning stove, it's going to have to be fed every 4-5 hours depending on the temperature and region. With any luck, pipes won't freeze during subzero temps.

Plus leaving fires unattended is a risk.

Don't be so sensitive.

Everything you mention is negated with a pellet burner which is why I mentioned them earlier.

And there are no pipes to freeze even on an old style woodburner with a back boiler which would be lit and used more than enough on a regular basis inside a house.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 02:59 AM
link   

first, get and fit foam panels for all your windows.

www.homedepot.com...

Windows are your biggest heat loss in any home. I have these foam panels in all the windows of my motor home, and it makes a big différance in the winter and summer.
And I did this at the cabin at a gold mine I ran in snow country and could tell it helped a lot just by feeling the windows inside and out during the winter when it was freezing outside.

Now I use a Handheld Infrared Thermal Imaging Inspection Camera that I also use for finding hot circuits in electrical panels and wiring.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: HODOSKE
worried about how high heating oil is going. I have a split level home about 2500 square feet. But i have oil heat. No gas in my area. I have a 300 gallon tank that usually gets filled 3 times during the season. That is going to cost a fortune. Any one have some good alternatives? I do have to electric heating panels on the walls in some rooms but that just jacks up my electric bill. I got no fireplaces. Just curious if any one else is using some alternatives.

Heat the person. Not the house. put on a jumper.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Oil heat is the worst use of oil on the planet. The best use of oil is an ICE. People don't like to hear that but it's the truth.
Ban oil furnaces.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What is ICE? a reply to: mikell

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Internal Combustion engine reply to: HODOSKE

edit on 0537kAmerica/ChicagoTuesdayTuesday by mikell because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join