It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People are getting sick from drug-resistant mold found in their flower beds and compost bins

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 09:11 PM
link   
There is always something new to worry about these days. Agricultural fungicides have been creating drug-resistant Aspergillus fumigatus from their use in gardens, homes, and farms, causing persistent, life-threatening illness in humans.

People are getting sick from drug-resistant mold found in their flower beds and compost bins

Scientists have confirmed a link between drug-resistant fungi in the environment and in human lungs.
Environmental mold can cause lung infections in people with vulnerable immune systems.
Some molds have evolved drug resistance from agricultural exposures, making fungal infections more difficult to treat.

Researchers at Imperial College London have confirmed that drug-resistant mold infections originating from gardens, homes, and farms are causing persistent, life-threatening illness in humans.

The article says to wear a mask when you farm or garden, but it also says a hefty dose of fungicide will still kill it.

While a hefty dose of fungicide will kill a mold like Aspergillus, gradual exposure in the environment can lead the way to drug resistance, Johanna Rhodes, a genomic epidemiology fellow at Imperial, told Insider.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I blame the covid vaccine.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

Neem oil.

If that dont fix it, kill with fire.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
I blame the covid vaccine.

you see there you go now your getting the hang of it

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 10:12 PM
link   

If that doesn't show why we humans deserve to die out...
Something we do causes problems!
You know what we should do? More of it!

As if we're trying really hard to make our world uninhabitable

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I live in a damn swamp. If you stand still long enough you'll be covered in fungus. It's like attack of the mushroom people around here, all kinds of slimy fungus all over everything and I bring it in with the fire wood every day. I've lived like this for some 25 years now and I rarely get sick and the only fungal infection I've ever had is toe nail fungus on my pinky toes (and that don't make you sick). Aspergillus is everywhere, not just places like my swamp.

Aspergillus fumigatus is a species of fungus. It can be found throughout the environment, including in soil, plant matter, and household dust. The fungus can also produce airborne spores called conidia.

Most people can inhale many of these spores on a daily basis. In a healthy individual, the immune system often clears them from the body without a problem. However, for some people, inhaling A. fumigatus, spores can lead to a potentially severe infection.

www.healthline.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Every year on the west side of my house this time of year I get heavy moss on my soil. I don't kill it; I roll it up like sod and transplant it elsewhere, then lay shade grass.

I get a nice grassy piece of land for the summer to party on, but it's rinse and repeat every year.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I live in a damn swamp. If you stand still long enough you'll be covered in fungus. It's like attack of the mushroom people around here, all kinds of slimy fungus all over everything and I bring it in with the fire wood every day. I've lived like this for some 25 years now and I rarely get sick and the only fungal infection I've ever had is toe nail fungus on my pinky toes (and that don't make you sick). Aspergillus is everywhere, not just places like my swamp.

Aspergillus fumigatus is a species of fungus. It can be found throughout the environment, including in soil, plant matter, and household dust. The fungus can also produce airborne spores called conidia.

Most people can inhale many of these spores on a daily basis. In a healthy individual, the immune system often clears them from the body without a problem. However, for some people, inhaling A. fumigatus, spores can lead to a potentially severe infection.

www.healthline.com...

Yeah, I understand it is relatively common. What didn't used to be common is the drug resistance found with these new strains. 
edit on 26 4 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yes, neem oil should take care of this.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

As if we're trying really hard to make our world uninhabitable

I wish I could say that it isn't inevitable, but it's probably why the billionaires are rushing to get off of this rock.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: INnEedOfgOD

My house has a large stone patio that was laid around 100 years ago. It had moss growing on the stones when I bought the house, and I've left it alone to take over the patio. I love moss.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Forgive me but honestly all I could think of was Shrek as soon as you mentioned swamp, and then at the end said not just places like my swamp. And then it went to in my head "Get out of my swamp." I'm not really trying to retract from the thread I guess it's just my sense of humor. More on topic to the OP, I have to say it doesn't surprise me more and more nature is becoming resistant to drug treatments, or is it by design? Whether natural or man-made?

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Makes me wonder how in the hell people survived since the beginning of time. Survival of the fittest.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo
Makes me wonder how in the hell people survived since the beginning of time. Survival of the fittest.

Weak people didn’t survive, only the strong did. These days I think we’ve watered down the gene pool.

Don’t come at me for saying that, I too would probably not have survived. I had a breech baby and was told 100% that if it was 100 years ago both of would not have made it if it weren’t for medical advances, c-sections and diagnostics.

As for the soil borne illnesses, that has been around forever. I read something about loggers and forest workers that got all kinds of lung ailments and were told not to work in that environment for too long of a stretch.

People don’t know you can catch a horrible illness from potting soil. You should wear gloves, probably a mask and do any repotting outside.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Katatonik

Forgive me but honestly all I could think of was Shrek as soon as you mentioned swamp, and then at the end said not just places like my swamp. And then it went to in my head "Get out of my swamp." I'm not really trying to retract from the thread I guess it's just my sense of humor. More on topic to the OP, I have to say it doesn't surprise me more and more nature is becoming resistant to drug treatments, or is it by design? Whether natural or man-made?

Shrek's swamp would be cool, esp. with all the fairy tale creatures like Donkey. Definitely a favorite family movie. My swamp is more like the Bog of Eternal Stench (Labyrinth) or the Boggy Creek Monster's swamp.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck

www.healthline.com...

Yeah, I understand it is relatively common. What didn't used to be common is the drug resistance found with these new strains. 

So, fungicides used in agriculture are supposedly the blame for resistant aspergillus and this relates to the treatment for infections. I understand that point, but it is the immune compromised that are at risk, normal healthy people wouldn't even notice it as it is even in household dust. Humans have been exposed to this for thousands of years, it shouldn't be some new pandemic or MRSA.

A healthy immune system is key, so I'd like to know what level of immunity can lead to such an infection, because there are all kinds of opportunist pathogens floating around besides one type of fungus.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I understand that point, but it is the immune compromised that are at risk,

So, we can apply covid logic? Immunocompromised people do not matter?

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

I understand that point, but it is the immune compromised that are at risk,

So, we can apply covid logic? Immunocompromised people do not matter?

I never said that nor meant to imply such.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Apologies for misunderstanding or reading something into what you wrote that you didn't mean.

I only made this thread to give people a heads up. I know many here are doing a lot of gardening.
edit on 27 4 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is a spit in a rain storm. No-one and I mean no-one is shouting about the female hormones that have been prevalent in our water supply for decades. Women on the pill urinate these hormones, nature can't destroy them so they continue to go around the drinking water cycle.

Have non of you wondered just why are we getting males that are more feminine than male and it's not just the Western world but all over. It's not only been brushed under the carpet it's been brushed under the house foundations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join