It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Confirmed Picture of a Planet Beyond the Solar System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Wow this is amazing. I cannot wait for the new telescopes in the line up for launch get up there. I cannot imagine how many other planets there must be in the Universe. This goes a long way toward showing that we are probably not alone out here.

First Planet

I wonder how long it will take us to see rocky planets and how long it will take us to get the guts to start up a real Space exploration program.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Nice find.
Looks like they finally did it.

The system is young, so the planet is rather warm, like a bun fresh out of the oven. That warmth made it comparatively easier to see in the glare of its host star compared with more mature planets. Also, the planet is very far from the star -- about 100 times the distance between Earth and the Sun, another factor in helping to separate the light between the two objects.

But doesn't the planet seem relatively close to the star? It looks like the planet is also burning.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Xeven
I cannot wait for the new telescopes in the line up for launch get up there.

huh, this telescope isn't in space, and BTW it has far better clarity then hubble. This is one of the newest biggest telescopes around...well its not really a telescope, they connected 4 telescopes together. Impressive picture, but I agree...It looks like its a little to close to its sun for the possability of life...but of course its only the begining of looking and this is only 1 pic. Can't wait for more.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Um....check the date of release guys.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Block

This is actually old news, I believe they released this find originally a few weeks ago.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It seems to have been posted on Space.com today.
It's a very interesing story..And a historical first..
Very cool, and thanks for bringing it to Light, so to speak!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Heh I was talking about the Initial find, I believe it was even covered on ATSNN. Searching now.................

I think this is the link right here...... if it is different then its another one! Either way its a really really nice find

www.atsnn.com...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Oh, yes, I remember that one...
Discovered by the Spitzer telescope
There was just an "artists conception"

I remember wishing to REALLY see the planet..

Now, this new one..Pretty exciting..!

[edit on 1-4-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Wow!

Of all days to release this story though

They should be sure to make a big fuss about it over the weekend or on monday, so noone thinks it was a joke...

[edit on 1-4-2005 by negativenihil]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Block

this isn't an April Fools joke, the fact that the planet is a few dozen pixels which still gives it the "blob" apperance. If the picture released looked like this...then i'd agree with you, but it dont.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Xeven
I cannot wait for the new telescopes in the line up for launch get up there.

huh, this telescope isn't in space, and BTW it has far better clarity then hubble. This is one of the newest biggest telescopes around...well its not really a telescope, they connected 4 telescopes together. Impressive picture, but I agree...It looks like its a little to close to its sun for the possability of life...but of course its only the begining of looking and this is only 1 pic. Can't wait for more.

Actually, the planet is much too far from its parent start to harbor intelligent life. According to the article, it is about 100 AU from the star, which I believe would put it well outside Pluto's orbit in our solar system. However, this discovery says nothing of potential rocky planets closer to this star, and it is very possible that there are additional, smaller planets there that could harbor life.

As for the image itself, this is why I have not been on the 'save Hubble at all costs' bandwagon. Ground based telescopes are now capable of imaging resolutions equal to (or even exceeding) what the Hubble is capable of, and at a fraction of the cost. The VLT is composed of four telescopes a little over 8 meters in diameter each. Instead of spending a billion dollars to buy the Hubble a few more years, I think it would be a better decision to spend it on the 20-30 meter ground based scopes currently on the drawing board. If the VLT array can see this, lets find out what an array of much larger telescopes can do.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

vor78
Actually, the planet is much too far from its parent start to harbor intelligent life. According to the article, it is about 100 AU from the star, which I believe would put it well outside Pluto's orbit in our solar system. However, this discovery says nothing of potential rocky planets closer to this star, and it is very possible that there are additional, smaller planets there that could harbor life.

wow, thats a ways out.
How big is its sun compared to ours.....cause if its a lot bigger, then it could have life.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Heck, space, we haven't even explored our oceans yet, that in itself, in the deep dark depths of the ocean is an unknown world, sort of like outer space.

Go up 20,000 feet in an aircraft and look out the window and all you see is sky, sky, and more sky, with the ground WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY below. That is what the ocean is like too, only you can't see through the water because it blocks the light. That big ocean covers most of our planet. You realize how much exploring there is to be done there!? Then there's the exploring to be done of outer space as well.

Sigh........I sure hope when we die, that we really do have spirits that can go and continue to exist, cuz I wanna explore space and the ocean

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword20068
Then there's the exploring to be done of outer space as well.

But are we really prepared for outer space, when we haven't explored our own oceans yet?

We can't see so far for a reason...it is exciting but the curious and inquisitive among us are the least intellectual

TPL

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wendellion

But are we really prepared for outer space, when we haven't explored our own oceans yet?

We can't see so far for a reason...it is exciting but the curious and inquisitive among us are the least intellectual

I can't see why can't we have both, let the oceanographers take care of the oceans and let astronomers and astronauts take care of space.

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wendellion

What is the basis for this statement? If people were not inquisitive then we would still be in the stone age, to have a frontier is human nature and always will be. If anything your idea should be the other way around.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
There's a time where we should stop exploring!

Look what happened to all the British missionaries over the years!

British: Hello folks!
Japanese: Leave us alone! BANG!!!
(Bye Bye Missionary!)

Being inquisitive can get dangerous! Why do we need to look outer space?

Who cares?!

What is the basis of your statement?

It's human nature to get angry, like I am now, over such a ridiculous individual as yourself!

But if that anger turned to anger, rage, death threats - it could lead to a nation of idiots! Look at America!

Therefore I back up my statement - the curious and inquisitive among us are the least intellectual!

Evidence: Americans!

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Life would be so boring if we never learned anything new, being smart does not mean that u must be a wimp and never dare to push the envelope. By your reasoning buzz aldrin and verner von braun should be complete numb skulls, this is clearly untrue. Why did u even come onto a space forum in the first place?

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Read the link. The article claims the star is 70% the mass of the sun, but is only in it's infancy. The planet is also at 1400 Degrees Celsius. They also said they discovered water on the planet.

It's all in the article.

new topics

top topics

join