It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glasgow and Scotland

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: turretless

originally posted by: andy06shake

the government keeps them toped off with meth

What?!!

Is this a modern form of treatment?

Modern some of these mad funkies have been on that green stuff 25 years and most will tell you it is worse for your body than the heroin it is supposed to replace but they use it as a free source of getting out of their minds

Just look at Scotlands population figure from 1970 - 2020. 5.2 million 1970 5.5 million 50 years later .

If we took away all the incomers to the country the place would be empty

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   

a reply to: stonerwilliam

"At the Barras are better."

. Been in the Bar-L
. I enjoyed a weeks vacation there ,I did the rock star tour with the medication I was on

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

They are apparently closing "the big house" down soon.

In favour of some new super jail which i imagine will be private.

Bar-L is a horrible nasty place stonerwilliam. Full of career crooks some of which are indeed "the salt of the earth".

But more offend than not, just mental health patients that managed to fall through the cracks of life, oh aye, and junkies from floor to celling in some wings.

Certainly a stain on the city of sorts and a place that has seen better days.

he first place in the world where they look for computer games being cracked and the consules is drum roll glasgaa

I meant Barras Market by the way and not "Bar-L" with that comment, but i take your point.
edit on 17-4-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: turretless

Without reading the thread in it's entirety due to it's confusing nature, i was brought up in Glasgow, studied there and know most of the nooks and crannies. If you have a specific question then feel free to ask.

As for architecture and the general impression i get from page one you might be interested in Glasgow Cathedral, a 12th century Gothic Cathedral and one of the oldest buildings in the city.

I spend many a night in my youth walking around the Necropolis which is directly behind the Cathedral, a really mystical place at night with tombs, statues and monuments from centuries ago which stretches for like a square mile. Had my first kiss in there.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I attended college at Glasgow College of Building and Printing just up the hill from Georges Square many moons ago.

Bottom image is the city chambers building.

Think there's an old nuclear bomb shelter/command centre located underneath that place that connect via tunnel to the old telephone exchange building closer down towards the Glasgow Marriott Hotel.

There's also some fascinating cemetaries and even today so much beautiful green space devoted to them. When I was young, the first walk I was allowed to do without an adult was from one grandparent's house in Muirend, through Lynn Park to the other grandparent's in Cathcart. I've been trying to find an extremely old cemetary in Cathcart on google earth but can't find it. All the graves were in huge family cages. I'd love to go back once more in my life.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

There's a hidden tunnel system in Coatbridge, stumbled across a few of them.

Also, does anyone remember Weirs Steel Works, backed onto a rather nasty estate called Sikeside in the town, several manholes which led to underground tunnel systems, i have no idea what they were for.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

Scary place with some rather inserting tales to be told regarding Glasgow cemetery if its the one up next to the hospital, scores of history there.

I know Lynn Park kicked about it as a wee boy jumping off the waterfall in the summer, nice place, loads of trees, even more subsidence, dangerous in a lot of places now days.

As to cemetery in Cathcart their is one next to the primary school and across from the church that's got old ruins and big mausoleum type crypt thingamabobs, we just called it "the grave'y".

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

I did not know that Grenade. Get to explore much, that sounds cool?

Ever watch urban explorers or the like where they go in to the train/telecom tunnels at dover or under London?

Some of the stuff down there is fascinating, and fecking dangerous if you touch the wrong wire or rail.

My mate was an apprentice at "Weirs Pumps" not the same thing through i suppose.
edit on 17-4-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Incommunicado

I’ve worked in Buckie for Forsyth’s and it’s tiny. I live along the coast near tain. A lot to f hundred year old fishing village building in Buckie and hop fully once Europe is all sorted it will become a main fishing centre again

Have you ever lived in such houses? - www.google.ru/maps/@57.6754139,-2.9700346,3a,75y,338.43h,86.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sE'___'3qv0WvMWbkL0pW6fZg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

Is it comfortable to live in these stone houses?

Not Glasgow, but I lived in this house near Inverurie for some time when I first went to school. Stone floors... my feet would cramp up at night when I got out of bed and put my feet on them. Can't imagine how old this house is. Was ancient when I was there in the 70's.

We also lived in an unused distillery when I was younger. Apparently it's been restored to working order now.

Also, thank you so much Andy for the clues to the old cemetery in Cathcart. I will have a look at some point. Was my favourite place as a kid. As to the one by Muirend, my grandparent's black lab used to come back with bones. Of course, she could have been going through the bins but my grandpa enjoyed freaking us out about her digging in the graveyard. I know what you mean by subsidence as lots of areas slumped and those graves somewhat cracked and toppled, but being the older section nothing was done about it. I'd heard of people not being able to get mortgages for houses where mine shafts came too close to the house to be safe, along with erosion on the sandstone from above.
edit on 17-4-2022 by igloo because: added thought

edit on 17-4-2022 by igloo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:31 PM
link   
My bed time now.

Good night people, enjoy the remainder of your evening.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Not sure if it's still there pal, was like a perfectly flat huge waste ground, littered with manhole covers, if you lifted the covers they had steel peg ladders dropping down around 20 feet, from there they had interconnecting tunnels around 4ft in diameter, some of which were blocked, others we used as places to go get drunk and smoke weed. Few torches and some blankets and teenagers could go there without a care in the world. Was good fun.

I left Coatbridge at around age 14, last time i went past there looked like a housing estate in the area. Tunnel systems i've marked location on map:

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Love Glasgow.
I used to get up there three or four times a year to see some mates.

Stopped in a mates pad for a while when I needed to 'get away' for a bit and he was away working in Kuwait.

Glasgow has its problems, pretty much the same as every city I've ever visited....but it's good points far outweigh its bad points.
The people are straight and genuine, no bollocks, no bull#....just how I like it.
Friends for life.
There's a damn sight lot worse places in this world than Glasgow.

I haven't been there for a two or nearly three years now - Covid and stuff.
I was had planned on getting up there round about now but due to some personal stuff I think its going to be a few months till I get the chance.
Hopefully meet up with Andy and Sappy when I do for a 'couple' of beers or so.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I like beer.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

The more the merrier.👍
🍺🍺

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376

The biggest manmade hole in Europe is in Aberdeen,Rubislaw quarry.
Aberdeen and the north east of Scotland was made from this quarry,hence Aberdeen's nickname of the granite(or silver) city.
The quarry was closed in the 1970's and is full of water now,some use it for watersports.
Buckie is a small town in Aberdeenshire.

Are you also Scottish?

I would never have thought that all this can be obtained from only one quarry.

If it's not difficult for you, then show me this place on a map.

I want to see it.

Search for Rubislaw Quarry,Aberdeen, Scotland in a map app.Im on my phone so linking is a pain.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: igloo
I never realised you were Scottish!!

I lived in Aberdeen for many years. First husband, 2 bairns.
My paternal grandad (died before I was born) hailed from the Gorbals before moving to Liverpool..... and Scotland Road!

Last time I was in Scotland was to meet up with Gordi the Drummer.... with a few other ATS'ers. He lives just outside Glasgow. I'd love to join you guys if you'll have a 'girlie' along?

I still have the t-shirt!

Rainbows
Jane

edit on am42America/ChicagoMonday2022-04-18T02:39:51-05:0002America/Chicago04000000 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Methadone.

They give junkies methadone here in the UK which kind of takes the edge off their condition for some .

I understood the essence of the treatment here.

At first I thought that drug addicts were simply given as many drugs as they wanted.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Modern some of these mad funkies have been on that green stuff 25 years and most will tell you it is worse for your body than the heroin it is supposed to replace but they use it as a free source of getting out of their minds

Just look at Scotlands population figure from 1970 - 2020. 5.2 million 1970 5.5 million 50 years later .

If we took away all the incomers to the country the place would be empty

It's very sad to hear all this.

I hope your government is trying to do something about it.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 03:58 AM
link   

No the poor sods are prescribed the methadone they receive from the Chemists by a doctor turretless.

What they require is proper drug treatment programs and facilities which cost an arm and a leg, but the fact is a lot of them don't want to be helped.

Anyhoo on to more palatable topics, the art galleries here in Glasgow are rather beautiful, take "The Burrell Collection" at Pollok Park or "Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum" for instance.

Both are free to visit and have quite a few interesting pieces to behold.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

Without reading the thread in it's entirety due to it's confusing nature, i was brought up in Glasgow, studied there and know most of the nooks and crannies. If you have a specific question then feel free to ask.

As for architecture and the general impression i get from page one you might be interested in Glasgow Cathedral, a 12th century Gothic Cathedral and one of the oldest buildings in the city.

I spend many a night in my youth walking around the Necropolis which is directly behind the Cathedral, a really mystical place at night with tombs, statues and monuments from centuries ago which stretches for like a square mile. Had my first kiss in there.

Thank you very much.

I am now heading towards Glasgow on the map and I cannot understand what I see - www.google.ru/maps/@55.8621694,-4.1588057,3a,75y,208.79h,85.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDTQ4zj1U1KZPjTyutU7kmg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Are these houses already part of Glasgow?

I understand correctly that each house is designed for two families?

Tell me please, is this cathedral still in operation or is it already just some kind of museum?

I agree with you that the necropolis looks otherworldly. A cozy place for vampires.

When were the last burials made there?

edit on 4 18 2022 by turretless because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join