It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS. Tracking you above and beyond.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: InvitationIsland
With all due respect, first you wanted to see who stars what. Then you thought private messages should be public, now you're worried about being tracked in a world where everyone and everything is tracked? Don't let the paranoia get to you, it's not worth it.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

The problem is it's accuracy is too high. I saw the 5 posts earlier. Not logged in.

Then later logged in. Instead of telling me there were 8 new posts since I was last "logged in" I think it says.
It said there were only 3.

It should say 8? They knew it was me earlier - Even though I wasn't logged in.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: InvitationIsland

When you first make an account, It tells you exactly how many posts are on ATS. 1870000? Or something like that I am a few digits off.

It also shows those numbers here too. www.abovetopsecret.com...
(At the bottom↓ right side of the page: 'ATS Stats')

They may or may not be changing now, but I checked those numbers awhile back, and then again a week later and they hadn't changed.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:04 PM
link   

When you're connected to the internet you are an open book. Websites receive/retrieve all sorts of information about you... your computer or device, operating system, general location based on IP and the time difference between the the server time and the calendar/clock settings of your PC or phone. Most of the time all this information is not nefarious. but to help you get the best experience from the service the website offers.

Some websites are crap, some are traps... you need to tread carefully, but I don't think you have much to worry about ATS's ethics; many won't agree, but it is a conspiracy site after all.

edit on 1/4/2022 by Encia22 because: Tinkering

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:06 PM
link   

My tiny violin is playing, oh so softly for you. Exactly what website doesn't track us? I do a search for any item on one device, and suddenly I am getting adds for said item on all devices. My partner as well, even though he didn't do the search. Same happens when he searches something, it shows up on my devices. Welcome to Big Brother 1984.

edit on 1-4-2022 by Backagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Tracking an alias you created, by showing who you gave a star to. Isn't really a privacy concern. Not to say this is, Just it's curious. So, I'd like to try and understand it better. I know I should have just kept quiet and done the experiment myself. Would only take time.

I am bored though and ATS is rather "dead". Something to do for a moment at least?

The whole "internet" is tracking you so just give up, Is such a defeated attitude. Whether or not it's true, Still nice to know? You can read after this about how websites track you without cookies/cache/ip. Then realize the people who run ATS are using that technology to track you.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
With all due respect, first you wanted to see who stars what. Then you thought private messages should be public....

I thought that was an April Fools Day thing.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

I thought that was an April Fools Day thing.

So did I. The plot thickens...

edit on 1-4-2022 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Yes, All that data is collected. By every site you access. My limit of knowledge though is what information sites use to identify someone. Who is not logged in. In order to track that data, They can't rely on date or time. Ip address(if it changes). Locally stored files such as my cookies/cache. I mentioned closing the browser cause, Browsers often suck. Even though I cleared all my "history" It could just simply not have worked. They are often bugged like that.

I don't think it's a real danger. Just it's odd. Again should have kept my mouth shut until I knew whether or not it was just an error with my browser not actually deleting everything.

edit on 1-4-2022 by InvitationIsland because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Again should have kept my mouth shut until I knew whether or not it was just an error with my browser not actually deleting everything.

Not at all.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I wrote all this while not listening to song. The 8 bit song. That's why it doesn't come off as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:39 PM
link   

You can erase what your browser stores, but you can't erase your footprints. It's like walking around a dusty floor; the more area you cover, the more information can be deduced. If you follow the same path everyday, a pattern emerges and then it's easy to know where you will go next. It is easy to know your preferences and tendencies and how easily you are attracted to and nudged towards certain things.

The problem is that all this information is no longer limited to the beholder, but shared amongst a massive network, all with different motives. Some want your money, some want your internet traffic (for Ads and such), and some want your soul.

Btw, there are ways to confuse and confound the onlookers, but you can never be totally anon. I'd say that it's safer to mingle in the crowd than to be found crouching and hiding.

edit on 1/4/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

Anyways, me posting got some attention for you so chill... don't send rockets to my house or that.

Narcissist much ?

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This may not be the right place for you. May I suggest, I dont know.....outdoors?

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

Anyways, me posting got some attention for you so chill... don't send rockets to my house or that.

Narcissist much ?

Nice try

ETA: im allowed to have a laugh as much as anyone else on here. If you see a narc in me, look in the mirror instead of projecting yourself

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

True. I'm sure it's just google. When I was younger I had everything running to block every google service trying to just say F you to them. Now I'm not as concerned by it, Guess they won.

I had the idea this place was a little less connected to the main wire. More like a mom and pop, Operation.

As I said not worried about it, Just something I noticed from time to time. This time I wondered why.
edit on 1-4-2022 by InvitationIsland because: edits.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Nice try ETA: im allowed to have a laugh as much as anyone else on here. If you see a narc in me, look in the mirror instead of projecting yourself.

Indeed , laughs all around . Don't be so touchy .

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Not always, but where one can in dark times

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Your everyday real life must be fun, huh...

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

lol. Thanks, I have said earlier I noticed it but ignored it. Slow day, 3 new topics in like 6 hours. I'll be quiet now

For anyone who made it this far, An alternate thread inside a thread. Thredception. Pewdiepie. This isn't really about him though. This bit he does while playing VR games though? I find it actually, Quite funny. Just the Swedishness and his previous controversies. Makes me laugh. Albeit not high brow humor. The game is funny too.

edit on 1-4-2022 by InvitationIsland because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join