It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Don't Have Time for Time - TT2022

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I was never really into time. Even as a child, I didn't care for it. Its so demanding.

“Its time to do this. Its time to do that. We don't have time for that, but we have time for this.”

“Why don't we have time for this when we have time for all the other stuff?”

“Because we don't have that much time. We're running out of time.”

“No, we aren't.”

“Our time is almost up.”

“No, it isn't. There is always more of it right around the corner. If you wait for it, it will get here. We never run out of it.”

“I don't have time to explain this. One more question and you get a time-out...”

It wasn't time saying we didn't have time to go to the movies. It was my parents. They just blamed it on time. I grew up learning to hate time. There was never enough of it for me or the things I wanted to do. Everybody else had time, and their stuff took forever. But not me. I was always out of time and drowning in it at the same time. There is always time, or, time is always there. We live in it, pass through it, deal with it constantly. Fickle bastard, time.

It seemed like time was always ignoring me. I decided to ignore it right back. I stopped paying attention to it altogether. Life suddenly got so much easier. Well, in most ways. I could do what I wanted when I wanted and I didn't have to worry. That fell apart when I wanted to watch television but my shows weren't on. Time outsmarted me that time, or, that time outsmarted me. I was never sure which was correct.

I liked television. I realized that time and I were going to have to learn to get along or my television watching days were pretty much over, unless I liked that weird 'you can paint like me' guy. He always seemed to be on. How did he have so much time? Why couldn't he share some of his time with Speed Racer?

Can you share your time? If I give time to someone else what do I do in the mean time?

My clock isn't set right. If I want to know the time I have to subtract 1 hour and 15 minutes from whatever the clock says. Everyone says my clock is wrong. No, it isn't. You just have to know how to read it. It keeps time perfectly. I don't know where it keeps it though. Its not a big clock. Time must not take up a lot of space. But time is everywhere. Everywhere is a really big place. Space and time must have worked out some kind of deal or something. Clever.

So now I have space and time. But I don't really have either one. I think maybe they have me...

The End...?

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 08:58 AM
link   
time is running out of YOU

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Bravo!!

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Hey Vroom, remember how long trips in the car seemed as a child?

Took FOREVER!

Cheers

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: sraven

I hope there is enough to last....

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

I thought about that while writing. Going somewhere seemed to take three times as long as going home. I always wondered about that.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I like it

About the time discrepancy, maybe it's the relative distance to birth that compresses and stretches time experience for us? Summer holidays being like forever in elementary school like later in higher classes when they just passed by.

Now months race by.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I just had this discussion with my brother. We came to the conclusion that its the percentage of your life at any given point that makes it seem relative. Tell a 5 year old he has to wait a year to do something and he all but loses it. You just told him he has to wait the equivalent of 20% of his whole life! That is a long time. But, to a 50 year old, that year will fly by almost unnoticed as only 2% of his life.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   

One could make an analogy to a vessel of experiences being filled, also. The principle stays the same, the more experience / time passed by, the less it adds. I think that's a reason why children are so impatient often, you explained it best.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Excellent! You paced it very well.

Speed Racer was my favourite animation when I was a kid... Time stood still when I watched it.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I would run home after school to watch it. I loved that show. I just watched "Challenge of the Masked Racer". It was a very early episode and one of my favorites, and it was a two-parter.

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Here's a little gift then... about ten years ago I used to make themes for Firefox browser. I wasn't even sure if they were still up or if they still work. Well, they do, so here's my tribute to Speed Racer and the Mach 5 Firefox theme :

addons.mozilla.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 03:37 PM
link   

This reads like a rant... a funny one
I had some good laughs

posted on Feb, 4 2022 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the Submission.

Good luck in the Contest.
Johnny

top topics