It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Insect Species Discovered and it looks Awesome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
They say the best things come in small packages and the Phlogis kibalensis is no exception , measuring just 6.5mm long the insect is a member of the Leafhopper family and its closest relative was last seen in 1969.

It has been named Phlogis kibalensis and is from the leafhopper family, with its distinctive metallic sheen, pitted body and leaf shaped male reproductive organs.

Phil (for he is male) was discovered in the Kibale National Park in western Uganda by British scientist Dr Alvin Helden of Anglia Ruskin University and it has to be said that for an insect he is pretty stunning , the less said about his leaf shaped reproductive organs the better though I think , we will have no dong shaming here.

The insects mainly eat plant sap and are preyed on by spiders, beetles and parasitic wasps, as well as birds.
Dr Helden, a member of the Applied Ecology Research Group at ARU, said: "To find this new species is a once in a lifetime achievement, particularly as it's closest relative was last found in a different country over 50 years ago. I knew it was something very special as soon as I spotted it.
news.sky.com...

In my opinion Mother Nature scores a 10 out of 10 for that one.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Looks like the little metal bugs that ate everything in the day the earth stood still remake.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   

It has a head like an owl...

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   

This reminds me of the Locus from The Exercist 2.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Oh stop it your man boobs are showing

Why does it always have to be a “British scientist” that “discovers” 💩 in Africa lol it’s not like people didn’t know they had these things living around them.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 10:50 AM
link   

That new species would look fantastic on my hook. lol

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Why does it always have to be a “British scientist” that “discovers” 💩 in Africa lol it’s not like people didn’t know they had these things living around them.

Because British scientist are the best , obviously.
It was unknown to science before its discovery because it's tiny , how many little critters live in your surroundings that you don't know are there and will likely never see , many I guess.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   

They likely knew it was there, but did they know it was different from all the other billion and 1 bugs that pester them? *That* is the question. It takes a stuffy, overly punctilious Brit to sort that one out.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Every time the find some new creature now I have to wonder if they crispered it for fame.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   

My reply to sh itzburgh (love my dude here) about British scientists is this is how all bad horror movies start. More on topic though for a long time the crown had the ability to navigate the earth and I know that’s why.

Today though it’s a gambit but at least we have people exploring the globe trying to understand life on our planet, down to the little ass bug. Truly amazing.
edit on 29-1-2022 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 12:42 PM
link   

You leave my sweaty switties out of this!

Edit: and I misspelled Exorcist

edit on 29-1-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

Oh stop it your man boobs are showing

A british scientist noticed one on a leaf so asked the local what it was, they probably told him it has been around forever and doesn't bite. It is about taking credit for discovering something that everyone around an area knew already existed. Like the scientist who saw a lizard being hauled to a festival by natives on an Island, they had a yearly event where they ate them but nobody was allowed to eat them except for that festival. So now they are considered an endagered species and I suppose they can get them for their yearly festival...scientists will take them to zoos and to labs and the natives will not have enough left for their festivals and they will become extinct there in a few years.

We don't need any more leaf hoppers around here, I hope they don't haul them to America, they will probably overpopulate and kill our present leaf hoppers that live here.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   

oh, our new Chicken or our new Hamburger?

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Is it a new one?
At first glance it sort of looks like an old one thats flown headfirst into some wet paint.

Shall we tell Neil Young there's a new Spotty Fly?

(sorry, couldn't resist).

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So that's Bigfoot's space ship !

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 02:40 PM
link   

That's what I've been saying for years.

The local communities actually live with the thing, but it's considered "discovered" only when a Brit or American university finds out about it.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Edit: and I misspelled Exorcist

You misspelled Locust, too, but I'm far too polite to point that out.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Cute little dude.

Just hope he stays where he’s from and not became another invasive species in which we would have to spray more poison on our cash crops.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

posted on Jan, 30 2022 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

They likely knew it was there, but did they know it was different from all the other billion and 1 bugs that pester them? *That* is the question. It takes a stuffy, overly punctilious Brit to sort that one out.

lol.

who looks at a bugs dick anyway?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join