It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Factory to Fantastical: Ricardo Bofill's Magnificent Architectural Transformation La Fábrica

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 07:46 PM
link   
La Fábrica was a cement factory built in 1917 near Barcelona. It survived the Spanish Civil War, producing cement for fortifications, and continued in operation throughout the 50s and 60s. Toward the end of the 1960s, nearby residents were vociferously complaining of the pollutants the factory produced, leading it to move to a different location abandoning its tremendous ruins.
One man, Ricardo Bofill, looked at this:

and saw something of great beauty. He bought the property and began a very controlled and inspired demolition--destroying parts of the building while leaving the rest intact. The following article compares the process to sculpting on a magnificent scale
www.designboom.com...
Then Bofill began planting gardens throughout.
Two to three years later, his gorgeous sculpture was unveiled. Please follow the link above for more breathtaking pictures of one of the most amazing homes ever built, and certainly the most beautiful repurposed factory I've ever seen.

Have a great night/day!
More info:
en.wikipedia.org...(Sant_Just_Desvern)
edit on 12-1-2022 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

So beautiful. I love the smoothness of the outside silos with the occasional palm tree in the landscaping. And of course the light coming in. What a bedroom in the designboom link!

They took an old steel factory in Bethlehem, PA and made it a venue for concerts, weddings and stores. Leaving stone walls around to stand just for their beauty.

www.istockphoto.com...

Fabrica es tan hermosa. Quiero saber más.

edit on 1 13 2022 by BelleEpoque because: Added accent

edit on 1 13 2022 by BelleEpoque because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 06:02 AM
link   

I like it when old stuff is refurbished and reused. The third picture, IDK if it's because of the color similarities to your avatar and the coffee / book shop thingy... the third picture gives me great warm vibes.

That would be a nice place to wander around, discover books, drink a nice beverage and just mingle with like minded people and discuss matters. With the open space.. love it! Chaotic and orderly at the same time.

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 06:09 AM
link   

That would be a nice place to wander around, discover books, drink a nice beverage and just mingle with like minded people and discuss matters. With the open space.. love it! Chaotic and orderly at the same time.
i'd have the sangria flowing!

that is so awesome!

thanks.
edit on 13-1-2022 by sarahvital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Beautiful.

The idea, the vision, the results.

Gave you S&F.

I wish I could give you two more, just because it is a refreshing change from the norm.

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BelleEpoque

What a fantastic venue. Very steam punk; I love it. Thanks for posting!

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Yes, it definitely has those vibes; must be why I was so attracted to it.

Would be such a great spot for a symposium

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

Yes to the sangria

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I totally agree that the entire process is wonderful to consider (vision, transformation, the result) and that I should revisit my old posting style
(for the first 4 years here I vowed to only post positive messages; that changed when everything else did, I am sure I've changed as well).

Have a good day, everyone!!

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If you want such lighting in your home, try those (fake) gold or copper plated tea candle lamps. The light they throw out is super warm and always a mood enhancer.

The shape of the moon tells me, that the designer must be kept in some sort of windowless basement though.

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Lol!! True I've never seen our moon looking like that!

Love the quality of the light, though. Thanks for the info

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Don't be late

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Haha, thanks

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital
lol I get all giggly with stuff like this, add something sparkling and we all end up in jail that evening, before the clock strikes 12 times, for some petty crime like ringing bells and running (or try to) away.

posted on Jan, 13 2022 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: BelleEpoque

What fascinates me the most is that these are not just "buildings" but whole, custom made machines for a purpose.

Everything about these places is unique and some smart people had come up with the design and structure for very clear reasons and purposes.

When I did my apprenticeship as a confectioner, we visited a industrial flour milling house. The whole complex is a huge mill and a lot of house sized filters, to filter down the flour into different grades. The combination of simple physics and craftmanship coming together in ways so everything is perfect, is awe inspiring. Most was done with wood, very natural.

Same with nuclear reactors, I visited one a few years ago. Glanced over the rail into the water, like ten or twenty meters away from the reactor / rods suspended and ten meters away from the spent fuel rod pool. With lot's of water in between me and the rods.

Reminds one how small and unimportant one is, also how vulnerable. If the water wasn't there, dead in seconds.

top topics

join