It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Refurbished" ???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 05:22 AM
link   
What do you think of "refurbished" products? Do you ever buy them? How has your luck been with them.

Historically, I've always stayed away, but some people swear by them. Wife bought a refurbished computer once for cheap. It fragged itself in about 5 weeks. But, as noted, I've had lots of other people say refurbished items are as good as new.

What say you?

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Depends on the product. I leased some used furniture at one point. It was in great shape and fit for purpose.

Electronics are probably a roll of the dice. I have some ancient pieces in good shape just because I've kept them well ventilated while operating.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I like refurbished electronics/etc. I have a D3300 refurbished Nikon that's been great.
Maybe the reputation of the seller/refurbisher makes the difference.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

I've always wondered, do they take these things apart to genuinely inspect them (say like cameras, lenses, computers and other items like this), or do they just eyeball them and then send them back out again...and say "Refurbished"?

ETA - Watches are a great example. I will often see watches which say refurbished, and I sit there and wonder...what did they really do to it to 'refurbish' it?

edit on 1/12/2022 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 05:55 AM
link   

The only 'refurbished' items I own are watches, but these went to a watch smith who first authenticated, then disassembled and rebuilt them.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 05:59 AM
link   

The only thing I buy refurbished is furniture and I do that myself. When I was much younger [ and poorer ] I would get rebuilt car parts and learned very quickly, you get what you pay for. A cheap alternator is just that. Cheap.

Yeah, it's going to run...till you're 20 miles away in the middle of nowhere and it decides to go out. That was way before cell phones, so you just hoped some farmer came by or you found a house where they'd let you use the phone.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I've had great luck with the few refurbished items I've bought. A factory refurbished Toshiba laptop purchased in early 2000's still going strong. Only problem it's WinXP, but I still use it once in a while for specific programs on it. I buy a LOT of "Open Box" items on ebay. Portable A/C's, dehumidifier, air purifier, hand power tools, etc. Most you couldn't tell them from new, but only problem might be that you couldn't access warranty if you needed to. Dehumidifier was $99, shipped free - same exact model was selling in Walmart for $209.99. But you do need to ask sellers any questions about items before buying, to be sure you know exactly what you're supposed to be getting!

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 07:16 AM
link   

It's totally great, of course depends on the quality of the item and the skill of the person who refurbishes.
But makes sense for furniture or stuff like watches, jewelry ... things that don't technologically advance much in a few years.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I've gotten a few refurbished items from companies I trust which are few. I bought a refurbished cellular amplifier from Wilson that has never given a problem.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 07:32 AM
link   
If the items are manufacturer refurbished and come with a warranty, I have no problem buying refurbished. I've done exceptionally well with refurbs over the years. Cameras, computers, appliances, etc.

Note that refurbished can mean refurbished, but can also mean new. Dell for example, often relegates last year or the previous years models to the Dell Outlet store and sells them at a discount with full warranty to move them out.

It's a matter of knowing what you're buying and who you're buying it from.

edit on 1/12/2022 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
What do you think of "refurbished" products? Do you ever buy them? How has your luck been with them.

Historically, I've always stayed away, but some people swear by them. Wife bought a refurbished computer once for cheap. It fragged itself in about 5 weeks. But, as noted, I've had lots of other people say refurbished items are as good as new.

What say you?

There are certain devices I will buy refurbed .
They have to be manufacturer refurbed .
As I am on the inside , I know what refurb means most of the time .
You buy a refurbed HDD ?
You are getting the old shell with all new insides .

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

So it’s basically just a used case?
All the guts are brand new?

edit on 12-1-2022 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
So it’s basically just a used case?
All the guts are brand new?

No, the movement is rebuilt, I've only had one where they needed to replace a pivot. They disassemble, clean, oil and then rebuild the entire movement.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   

As others have said I’d buy a refurbished luxury watch if it was from a reputable dealer.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 08:48 AM
link   

The computer I am using now is refurbished and I've had it
for about 2 years at least.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I've saved a significant amount of money buying manufacturer refurbished items, and even more getting stuff from Amazon warehouse. Getting stuff described as "used like new", or "used good - packaging will be damaged" has always worked out in my favor.

The single issue I've had (over many years of purchases) was with an item manufactured by Asus that had to be returned for repair as it was under warranty, it was just a hassle going through their process. In the end, I did get the working product I wanted and still saved money.

I say go for it, just know who you are buying from!

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
If the items are manufacturer refurbished and come with a warranty, I have no problem buying refurbished. I've done exceptionally well with refurbs over the years. Cameras, computers, appliances, etc.

I've had good luck with these too and new things often get taken back to the stores for as simple as a cord or part missing, or a little scuffed but fully functional.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 01:00 PM
link   

As a certified technician, I believe it is better to buy a refurbished computer.

A technician has actually touched and is supposed to fix any issues with the pc.

A unopened computer box is like a box of chocolates...

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ByteChanger

A unopened computer box is like a box of chocolates...

This is all too true sometimes. Years ago, I had a client who bought a new HP from the factory. It kept shutting down, so they called me thinking they had done something wrong. Come to find out, the CPU fan had a sheet of plastic between the fan and the heatsink. I took a photo of it before removing it so they could send it to HP.

Must have been assembled on a Friday.

posted on Jan, 12 2022 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I usually don't buy refirbished stuff, but do buy stuff that needs to be fixed sometimes for cheap and fix it up. I have fixed a lot of computers up and given them away or sold them for the cost of the parts I installed in them...I was given the computers by people who got new ones. Most lasted a while without problems, but there is always a risk buying refirbished, You need to get a good price before buying them. And also remember, things go obsolete and getting parts for stuff also costs money if you repair them yourself so buy cheap.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join