It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiger in Florida zoo shot to death after grabbing man's arm

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Tiger in Florida zoo shot to death after grabbing man's arm

Tiger at Florida zoo shot and killed after attacking cleaning worker

He stuck his own hand inside the cage so I wouldn't necessarily call it an attack. The tiger may have been the one who felt like he was being attacked. In my opinion, the tiger was either defending, playing, or snacking.... but not attacking...

After the zoo had closed, a 26 year old male worker hired to clean public areas such as the restrooms and gift shop, but not animal enclosures, decided to enter the tiger enclosure and stick his hand/arm inside the tiger's cage. The tiger was still clamped down on the moron's arm/hand when Police arrived at the scene. Apparently the officers tried to bang on the cage to get the tiger to release, then shot it when it didn't let go. The tiger died a short time later. Personally, I think they should have at least tried firing a couple warning shots into the dirt right beside the tiger, before shooting it.

Eko (2013-2021)

A cleaning worker at a Florida zoo who was attacked by a tiger after putting his arm into its enclosure could be criminally charged, authorities said Thursday.

A Collier County sheriff’s deputy fatally shot the tiger at the Naples Zoo on Wednesday evening after it would not release the man’s arm from its mouth.

The sheriff's office said in a statement that an investigation would determine whether charges would be filed against the injured worker, but it did not say what the charges could be.

The man was flown to hospital in serious condition Wednesday. An updated condition was not available for him Thursday.

The man worked for a cleaning company responsible for restrooms and a gift shop and was not authorized to be where he was, officials have said.

He breached one barrier and stuck his arm through the fence of the tiger’s enclosure and the tiger grabbed it, the sheriff’s office said.

Worker attacked by tiger at Florida zoo could face charges, officials say

A rare Malayan tiger bit a Naples man Wednesday, and a closer look at the subspecies reveals that these cats are athletic and critically endangered.

Eko was part of a trio of Malayan tigers (Liem and Olan) that were born on Nov. 12, 2013 at the Little Rock Zoo in Arkansas, according to the Woodland Park Zoo website.

Rare in the wild and coveted in captivity, Malayan tigers are relatively small for tigers, but they're larger than Florida's endangered cat — the panther.

Like Florida panthers, Malayan tiger numbers are relatively low, with fewer than 300 living in the wild; and their habitat is continually encroached upon by development and other human activities, according to Woodland Park's website.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 04:44 AM
link   
That is so upsetting!!! The poor tiger is stuck in a cage, probably bored out of it's mind & this guy comes along & sticks his hand in the cage - almost think that idiot guy was the 1 that should have been shot!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Yeah, the guy was the one at fault here. Animal always pays the price.

Like the wolf sanctuary in France last week. Some wolves managed to exit a very controlled area to a less controlled area of the sanctuary ... so all the wolves got shot. Criminal, and the animals shouldn't be confined like that to begin with.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Warning shots would have made the situation worse. That being said I would’ve used mace to the discomfort of myself the idiot and the tiger because the tiger wouldn’t want that in its mouth and more then likely would flee for water. Then again I’m also an idiot and have a tendency to do some pretty dumb #

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I'm curious about exactly what he was doing. Feeding &/or Petting the tiger seem to be the 2 obvious choices.

The following is purely speculation, and nothing more....

I think he was petting it. He may have also given it something to eat, but I think he was petting it at the time when it got ahold of him. I also think it was a somewhat slow gradual process, on the guys part. The guy was probably slightly scared and hesitant at first. Eventually, during the moments immediately prior to him being bitten, he had reached the point of being completely relaxed and felt comfortable in this position. He thought he made a new friend. Then in the blink of an eye, everything changed...

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

Warning shots would have made the situation worse.

That depends on which perspective you're talking about. Maybe that would have made things worse from the workers point of view, but I think the tiger would probably disagree with you.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I have some experience in the matter that tells me I’m probably right 🤫

Redacted cause I don’t want to go into it right now.
edit on 31-12-2021 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Been wondering if they could have tased the tiger. If one can take down a moose, it sure ought to be able to take down a tiger. Sure arm fella might have got a jolt, but when you play stupid games.

This is from 2010,

The cow moose was upset because her two calves were trapped in an open four-foot deep basement foundation at a home construction site. She would not leave the area, even when Lewis tried using noisemakers and rubber shotgun ammunition. Finally, Lewis said he tried to drop a ramp down into the pit so the calves would be able to walk out on their own. But when he approached the calves, the cow moose charged him, jumping into the foundation, across it and back out. It then chased Lewis and the trooper three times around the patrol car. the men were armed but rather than shooting the moose, Lewis said the trooper used his Taser to shoot at the moose across the hood of the patrol car.

The Taser’s barbed, conductive leads hit the moose in the left front shoulder. Stunned and immobilized, the moose hit the ground immediately. The leads pulled free as the moose fell and it quickly ran off into the woods, staying there long enough for Lewis to extract the calves from the basement and for both Lewis and the trooper to retreat safely to the patrol car.

Tasers for Moose and Bears Alaska Explores Law Enforcement Tool for Wildlife

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Twat puts arm in cage and they shoot the poor Tiger???!!!

Guess that stand your ground nonsense only applies to people.

Also something wrong with tranquiliser darts?

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Saw this on the news last night, not sure if was in the video or report but it was said that they didn't have any tranquilizers on the grounds.

Here is the uncut body cam, at the 6:26 mark the cops ask them if they have one.

edit on 31-12-2021 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Been wondering if they could have tased the tiger.
My immediate thought was that they could have at least tried. It was in a cage. If it didn't work then so be it.

But after thinking about it, I wonder if that would send the electrical charge into the man also.

I imagine the headline might be:
'Innocent Victim Gets Tasered by Cops Allegedly Sent to Rescue Him'

I don't know, but possibly could have locked up the tigers jaw also.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Cheers for the info and video buddy.

So they have Tigers but no adequate means of dealing with them if they encounter problems???

Health and safety must be rather lax at that Florida Zoo.

I just hope the bamstick realises that poor animals demise is on his hands or probably just hand now. LoL

edit on 31-12-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Also something wrong with tranquiliser darts?

I didn't notice it on the video, but according to one of the articles, the cop was asking about a tranquilizer.

Body camera video released Thursday shows a deputy asking if a tranquilizer is available and being told no, and unsuccessful efforts to distract the animal before the officer fires.

Naples Zoo marketing director Courtney Jolly said that when the zoo is open there is a team present that includes a shooter and lead darter, but the zoo was not open when the attack occurred.

The zoo on its website also said it supports the decision to shoot Eko, and that “resolving this situation with a tranquilizer dart would not have been appropriate given the immediate crisis.”

www.msn.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Yeah thought about the tiger tensing up, but if their like other animals once the shock ease from it they tend to run away and the source of the shock.

I don't have much sympathy for people that mess with animals they ought not be messing with, and if the guy suffered a bit more pain well that on him.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Im not blaming the Police BrokenCircles.

They are trying to save the muppets life at the end of the day.

But the Zoo should not be allowed to keep wild animals without the proper equipment to deal with them nor employ fruit loops that decide to feed there arms to the beast in question for kicks.

Chances are a cattle prod to the poor beasts nether regions would have made it let go without the need to shoot the poor animal, guess they never had one of those nether.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Oh I agree. The worker put himself in that situation. I was just thinking about the possible lawsuit that would follow, IF the cops had tasered the tiger, and also IF that in turn would have affected the man.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Strange seeing a sign at the zoo reading
Saving Lions and more, while in the background some dip# tried to pet a Tiger and got it killed,

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 08:03 AM
link   

If a man want's to stick his hand in a tiger's cage you should treat him as the criminal, tazer him, don't shoot the tiger.

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Might have knocked or rather jolted some sense into him.

I'm not completely sure how the laws of the land apply in Florida but surely when he choose to place his arm in a cage that contained a wild Tiger the book went out the window with regards to possible law suits, coz its not exactly like he had the right of way.
edit on 31-12-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2021 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Whoa, much more graphic than the news video.

It’s a bloody shame the tiger had to die.
I wonder if the cop maybe shot into the air - which itself is dangerous, but it might of been enough to scare the tiger off.

I don’t know, or perhaps 20 million years of preditorial instinct took hold of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join