It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Look Up - Finally a film I enjoyed!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Watched this with my son, on Netflix, over the weekend... Was so spot on!

I recommend if you get a chance, check it out!

IMDB Linky

Dont Look Up (2021)

Kate Dibiasky (Jennifer Lawrence), an astronomy grad student, and her professor Dr Randall Mindy (Leonardo DiCaprio) make an astounding discovery of a comet orbiting within the solar system.

The problem its on a direct collision course with Earth. The other problem No one really seems to care.

Turns out warning mankind about a planet killer the size of Mount Everest is an inconvenient fact to navigate. With the help of Dr Oglethorpe (Rob Morgan), Kate and Randall embark on a media tour that takes them from the office of an indifferent President Orlean (Meryl Streep) and her sycophantic son and Chief of Staff, Jason (Jonah Hill), to the airwaves of The Daily Rip, an upbeat morning show hosted by Brie (Cate Blanchett) and Jack (Tyler Perry).

With only six months until the comet makes impact, managing the 24 hour news cycle and gaining the attention of the social media obsessed public before its too late proves shockingly comical - What will it take to get the world to just look up.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 02:15 AM
link   
One of the worst films ever!

Lost over 2 hours if time....

a reply to: gspat

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The comet is covid.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Thoroughly enjoyed this movie..

I put it up there with idiocracy in its take on the way things are going!

edit on 28-12-2021 by jerich0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Loved it !

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I thought it was good, most people I know hated it. Jonah Hill was great, while Streep was either off her game or given a script that was a little too over the top, a little less obvious and that would been a home run. Technology weirdo was a good character too.

I enjoyed watching the ending the most. Just having a meal with friends before you all go together. Should have clipped the stupidity after that but hey, if you're going to make an over the top comedy, I guess you have to expect this sort of thing.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Im obviously not the demographic anymore, I wanted to like it. I like Streep, Blanchette, Leo and like most of McKay's works appreciate the Bill Gates allegory but it couldn't hold my attention.

Oh, Hollywood is so clever and self-reflective, where would we be without them pointing out their hypocrisy and overreaction of the last 2 years.

June was the best character played by Melanie Lynskey. Rose from "Two and a Half Men" and definitely had the best line

Jonah Hill, Jennifer Lawrence was basically characterization of themselves

I do appreciate the CGI
edit on 28-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 06:35 AM
link   

I love the dark satire of the whole film, I’d recommend it!

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   

It was pretty glaringly obvious that the film was making fun of "Trump supporters" and "anti-science" people (people who question science, which is actually in itself PRO science, but I digress), even the conservative female president had "redneck" supporters who wore red baseball caps lol

Some scenes made me chuckle but in essence I found it to be a propaganda piece targeting the specific groups mentioned above.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 07:34 AM
link   
First actual new film I’ve seen since Joker.
Very entertaining.
I couldn’t tell if the comet was covid or if the comet was the death shots.
I guess it depends as to what you are more worried about.
For me, the comet was the death shot jabs, and no one wanted to look up and see how they are going to kill you.
Great film.

edit on 28-12-2021 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Perhaps it was giving a subtle message about covid. I took it more in general about how things become stupidly politicized. How people and politicians will have their "truths". And that rationality is slowly dying.

It's definitely able to be applied to covid. The people saying the comet doesn't exist reminded me of some on ATS saying covid doesn't exist.

Or it could be applied to global warming. Or a number of other things.

The essence is that people choose politics over scientific inquiry and understanding.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

I think they wanted it more open ended. Any side can become politicized and tribal. And even our best scientists turned into media/political shills.

The death shots though? You know a large majority are fine after the shots..

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CptGreenTea

Maybe at first, while in the fear state. However, my money is on more and more people waking up to the fact that they ‘must’ be death shots, since they don’t really do anything else for you but try to kill you.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Enjoyed this one.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Could be a good film...until somebody with some knowledge of real Astronomy watches it.....you do realize there's 1000's of Professional & amateur Astronomers on planet earth that could confirm ELE's....

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16
Could be a good film...until somebody with some knowledge of real Astronomy watches it.....you do realize there's 1000's of Professional & amateur Astronomers on planet earth that could confirm ELE's....

I pretty much gave up the ghost of realism, when Jennifer Lawrence plays the talented Astrophysicist graduate student. But yes this is among dozens of other facts you have to suspend belief

Like would the debris that blew up in space still be recognizable?

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ha I was really looking forward to this movie and I must say I did enjoy it. It was different than your usual doom movies and quite hilarious. Obviously you must take it as satire and try not to indulge yourself to much into the politics of it though that is hard to miss. I recommend it.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: manuelram16

The average person watching this does not know nor do they care about that lol. It's a film to entertain, not get facts right. Most of the time, that's all I care about, it being entertained!

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Absolutelly fantastic, and I am willing to bet that those who hated it don't get satire.

posted on Dec, 28 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Really man??? This whole movie was pure satire. It's a reflection of how people are easily distracted/lead.

Jesus tits people, has nobody ever watched airplane or top secret???

<<   2 >>

join