It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life in South Africa Amid the Omicron Surge Is a Glimpse of America’s Future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I just wanted to see what is going on in South Africa and this story popped. I knew that South Africa is in a Level I lockdown and they were trying to control it but I simply didn’t expect to see an article such as this, so I post it here for Peer review by the ATS community. I am not jumping for any conclusion I am simply passing information onto ATS for everyone’s thoughts and opinions on this matter. Why, because of all the strong opinions on the Omicron situation we are NOT in charge or in control of our destiny. Others are.

Co vid-19: Stop tracing and quarantining of contacts, says Ministerial Advisory Committee

The Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC) on Covid-19 has written to Health Minister Joe Phaahla, recommending that the quarantining of contacts be stopped as it is no longer viable in the current social and economic climate.

Thus, we have a inconvenient situation. Here's a story relating to what a SA government official is saying and the other is what to expect in the USA.

Life in South Africa Amid the Omicron Surge Is a Glimpse of America’s Future

Graphs of the latest Covid surge in South Africa have been close to vertical, and the culprit is clear: Within a few weeks, the omicron variant has gone from less than 1 percent of cases to more than 90 percent. In Gauteng province, where I live, 1 in 500 people is currently infected with omicron. Given how many asymptomatic cases go undetected, the real number is probably closer to 1 in 50. With such numbers, contact tracing and quarantines become all but meaningless. Even the individual goal of avoiding infection comes to seem quixotic. Therefore, rather than trying to suppress omicron, the South African government is now assuming, essentially, that everyone will get this virus. Although the country retains some mild restrictions on indoor and outdoor gatherings, unmasked diners fill restaurants. Shift workers throw down after-work pints in informal taverns.

My money is a situation as described in the 2nd link. Will a Level I lockdown be coming to a neighborhood near you?

Thoughts? Opinions?
edit on 19-12-2021 by Waterglass because: wrong text

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

this one is the one everyone should get and get over. Let it flow like a river.
But that won't happen, and the idiots in charge will still use fear to push the shots that obviously don't work on this variant, in fact, it looks like it's an attractant.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Didn't the drug companies try to blackmail the leaders over there into bankrupting them.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Loved this part such common sense... This means that quarantining and contact tracing are of negligible public health benefit

So many have said that BEFORE and during the past 2 years, quarantining and tracing only works in the very early stages.

[url]https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/covid-19-stop-tracing-and-quarantining-of-contacts-says-ministerial-advisory-committee-20211219[/u rl]

The committee said testing was highly skewed toward detecting symptomatic cases, while the vast majority of cases are asymptomatic and go undetected.

"In addition, among the small proportion of symptomatic cases, testing is far from universal, since patients may not seek testing when their symptoms are mild and when testing would be burdensome and expensive. Furthermore, the SARS-CoV-2 test sensitivity is suboptimal, sometimes leading to false-negative results.

"The inability of the current testing strategy to identify the bulk of cases is illustrated by the high SARS-CoV-2 seropositivity rates seen across multiple provinces in serosurveys, implying that only a fraction of cases (perhaps one in 10, or even less) are ever diagnosed."

It added:

It stands to reason that if the vast majority of cases are not diagnosed, then the vast majority of case contacts are also not diagnosed. This means that quarantining and contact tracing are of negligible public health benefit in the South African setting.

edit on 19-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Most of the still free States are already doing this.

But don't expect the authoritarians in places like NY to relinquish their hold on power. Their getting ready to go full on Australia police state.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

It my opinion that the Government of South Africa is doing the best for their people. The USA has, was and will be for sale to the highest bidder and has been since WWII.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Don't know if they did that to South Africa but they did to Brazil and India. So my money is that they did indeed try.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

They just love to go combat!

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
a reply to: network dude

It my opinion that the Government of South Africa is doing the best for their people. The USA has, was and will be for sale to the highest bidder and has been since WWII.

Seems that way does it not.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Not only common sense but pragmatic and they seem to try to er on the side of the public.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
a reply to: putnam6

Not only common sense but pragmatic and they seem to try to er on the side of the public.

Indeed it is, you know? how a governmental public health department should be.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The UK NIghtly fear fest(AKA the News) uused to put out the daily stats which were
1.New Infections
2. Hospitalizations
3. Deaths

Now its just New infections. Hmmmm wonder why that is.....

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   

The South African government is working with big business to implement company mandates.

Here's a list

The taxi associations have also voiced their support so everybody in the lower income bracket will have to get it or be unable to support themselves financially.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 08:48 AM
link   
OK then, "you can keep your new found power SA Gov if you do what you are told, Now go and pretend the Omicron was bad after all and we will not destroy your economy pronto." (the will destroy it anyway is the plan IMO).
It sure seems a likely scenario as the shills saying Omicron is very dangerous.

edit on 19-12-2021 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

South African here.

Mandates will only work for white-collar workers; the masses will tear the country to pieces. Ethnic black Africans have a deep distrust of anything western and people on the street realise that this is is not a dangerous pandemic, and henceforth, our low vaccination rate.

Also, please watch this interview:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Remember how it all kicked off with Botswana. Well according to www.worldometers.info...
Botswana hasn't recorded any new case's or deaths for a long time..

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Best thing !
Omicron mortality is very low.

SA likely to reach herd immunity very fast. Current vaccines don't work with Omicron anyway...

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Laserboi

I hope you're right about their distrust but all broadcast media are forcefeeding them pro vaccine propaganda and a lot will take the vaccine before they starve to death.

We are way behind in our protest action.
edit on 19-12-2021 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I think countries that are on board with mandates are being greatly rewarded financially and as players on the world scene. Something cometh this way that the 1%ers in countries don't want to be blackballed out of. Heck, I've seen it happening at state levels in the red states.
Our governor was 100% against any and all mandates and lockdowns until he got a call to come and discuss the issue in DC. Came back with masks, 'light' mandates and lockdowns- plush millions for his trouble to be spent on 'relief'.

It's funny what he thinks 'covid relief' is, like new computers and programs for gov offices, new books for libraries, blah ,blah, blah.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Achtung!
New York Legislation set for vote on January 5th, 2022 Provides for indefinite DETENTION of of cases, contacts and carriers of communicable diseases who are potentially dangerous to the public health at Governor's discretion...

Assembly Bill A416

top topics

<<   2 >>

join