It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter is coming: Researchers uncover the surprising cause of the Little Ice Age

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
in reply to: tanstaafl
Is that in the BP OIL forum we used to have?

Didn't know there was one...

No, it wasn't here, it was something in the MSM, some scientist or group that seemed pretty level-headed, and explained t he hows and whys. Of course, they could have been full of it too...

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

in reply to: tanstaafl
Is that in the BP OIL forum we used to have?

Didn't know there was one...

No, it wasn't here, it was something in the MSM, some scientist or group that seemed pretty level-headed, and explained t he hows and whys. Of course, they could have been full of it too...

Yea I just looked here I would think it would have been in the Deepwater Disaster forum but I didn't see any reference.
Who knows basically the plot of the Day After Tomorrow, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

but it makes sense hard to believe after pumping out so much oil it was bound to affect something, nature life forms, and now potentially the weather

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

but it makes sense hard to believe after pumping out so much oil it was bound to affect something, nature life forms, and now potentially the weather

As I remember, the problem wasn't just the toil, it was the Corexit, that caused the oil to go to mostly sink to the bottom layers of the ocean, and it was this massive amount of oil at the bottom, where the majority of the current originates, is what would slow it down dramatically...

I do know that changes like this for whatever reason can cause changes in weather patterns.

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Believe it or not, one of the best sources of information on prehistoric times is Dinosaur Train on PBS Kids. Yes, it's a show about cartoon dinosaurs in a time-travelling train, but it incorporates the latest paleontological knowledge.

The Earth was much warmer in the time of the dinosaurs. Arctic climates, like we know them, simply did not exist back then.

The characters visit what today is Antarctica several times, and it's a temperate climate like most of us know. In one episode they visit the North Pole, which back then had land underneath it. It's cold and snowy, but it's a "normal" winter, not remotely like the brutal deep-freeze you or I would experience if we went to the North Pole today.
edit on 21-12-2021 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

About 2.2/2.3 billion years ago to about 550 million years ago with it warming before that with the supposed Cambrian Explosion of life (disproven partially by the discovery of earlier complex multi celled fossils indicating that there was already a complex ecology in place so it did not just arise then) the earth froze according to a theory called the Snow Ball Earth theory, it underwent a serious of massive ice ages that make the current ice age (We are still in one of course) the Quaternary Glaciation a period of much smaller ice ages look tiddling by comparison.

The Snow Ball earth period created something called the great incongruity a period of geological destruction were up to a mile at least of the entire earth's surface seems to have been ground down by global glaciation and according to the theory for huge periods of that super cold era of the earth's history it may have frozen even to the equators turning the earth into a vision that could best be compared with the planet Hoth from the second (made) star wars movie.

Before that the earth was warm, for much of it's history it may have had a completely different sulphur rich atmosphere OR it may not have since most claims that suggest that are based on rocks' that may actually have been far underground even then and not really exposed to the atmosphere, that theory suggests that life that used Sulphur not oxygen (sulphur reducing bacteria) changed the atmosphere causing other mutated strains of life to evolve but it is just a theory and it is possible entire ecosystems existed long before we have any record of them as well as during the Snow Ball earth period.

Then the warmer period in time gave rise to the age of giant insects on a world ruled by plants were the oxygen levels and temperature were actually much higher than today then by giant lizards followed by the age of the dinosaurs, even up to perhaps 2.6 million years ago, a blip in geological time the earth may have had no permanent ice caps.

So to back you up yes the earth has had ages were there were permanent ice caps and even when the whole planet may have been entirely covered by a vast frozen ice sheet and other periods even surprisingly recently when it did not even have permanent ice at the poles and they were much warmer than today, it comes and goes and is a part of the geological cycle of the planet.

Indeed there are many reasons for this, some of them are volcanic, atmospheric and even Solar with the sun aging and slowly getting hotter and slowly (for billions of years yet) swelling (before that accelerates in the dying days of our sun).

Some estimate that due to Solar increase the planet even without humans may become another Venus in as short a period as half a billion years, others more optimistic put it as far into the future as about two and a half billion years but certainly as we warm up naturally due to solar radiation increasing our polar caps will eventually become a thing of the past and even eventually our mountain top's, then our oceans will become ever warmer and eventually the earth will go one of two way's, either a new Venus like world that was once green, watery and fertile (as Venus itself may once have been?) or a desert planet as our water boils into the atmosphere and is split by solar radiation into oxygen and hydrogen atoms and the hydrogen them bleeds off into space.
(But we 'hopefully' have a bit of time before we have to whip out the marshmallows).

edit on 21-12-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 01:05 AM
link   

As I remember, the problem wasn't just the toil, it was the Corexit, that caused the oil to go to mostly sink to the bottom layers of the ocean, and it was this massive amount of oil at the bottom, where the majority of the current originates, is what would slow it down dramatically...

I do know that changes like this for whatever reason can cause changes in weather patterns.

That's my knowledge of the situation as well, all it takes is to disrupt any part of the cycle and it could have a cascading effect. Anybody ought to be able to follow the science and easily see where oil/Corexit globs could be swept from the gulf into the gulf stream.

edit on 22-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I also remember that long detailed discussion on this, but I remember the general consensus at the end of it being basically, nobody knows, but 'could' have such an effect.

Some pretty experienced and edumacated folks were fairly concerned, but didn't really know if enough was used to notice any difference.

I haven't seen any significant changes in charts after either the bp spill or fukishima, and I'm one of probably millions of people looking for it.

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
so pretty much - cow farts had nothing to do with the little ice age

That's something that always gets me. Do these scientists that are saying cattle flatulence is affecting the environment realize how many more bison there were in the great plains then there will ever be cattle.

There were so many millions of beavers, imagine how many downed trees rotting in a damp environment through were producing methane.

Millions of salmon steelhead oh, and sea-run trout rotting on the creek Banks.

Nature alone in the Americas before colonization produce more methane from rotting vegetation and animal corpses then cattle and livestock ever will.

We actually have a canyon here called "nasty Creek" it's a very long wide canyon that goes on for miles. More than four times a year so many salmon and sea-run fish spawned out and died in the area that it was absolutely uninhabitable. now there are no fish that spawn in the creek at all. Did I mention the creek is less than 3 ft wide at the most.

imagine the fish coming up something the size of the Columbia River before they were commercially netted..

Research of the City of Issaquah sued the county, for the destruction of their crops due to spawning dead salmon.

Cattle methane phhft. Mother nature has that beat by a long shot.

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghostsdogood
Some pretty experienced and edumacated folks were fairly concerned, but didn't really know if enough was used to notice any difference.

I haven't seen any significant changes in charts after either the bp spill or fukishima, and I'm one of probably millions of people looking for it.

Yeah, that is my understanding and take as well.

Thankfully nature is actually pretty damned resilient.

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Skyman65

sssh you'll be mentioning Termites next and the animals/insects on the African, European and Australian Plains.

Termite-derived methane contributes 3 to 4% to the total methane budget globally.

source

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzled2

It is all a self-righting system, that is in dynamic balance, it swings one way corrects, and then swinks the other way. It can take more than a lifetime so we don't notice on the individual scale. The end correction points before the swing back, do get to be noticed.

posted on Dec, 22 2021 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

But human civilization is so delicate it sometimes can not cope, we live with a flawed view of history I would suggest this as great reading that may open eye's to some astounding information and the fact not everything we are told about the past is correct, it covers a huge swath of topics but covers climate changing periods that may have given rise to and destroyed multiple civilizations and cultures, perhaps even globe spanning ones, just perhaps.

Don't be put off by the title of the site.
beforeatlantis.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join