It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter is coming: Researchers uncover the surprising cause of the Little Ice Age

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I am quite sure that many here at ATS know about the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) which basically moves warm water from the equator to the northern regions. This movement keeps much of the northern regions warmer than they would be otherwise and when this conveyor of warm water stops a new ice age can and will arrive. The warm water causes the ice to melt which cools the water and the conveyor shuts down. Glad to see science has finally verified this self regulating cycle.

But in the late 1300s, AMOC strengthened significantly, which meant that far more warm water than usual was moving north, which in turn cause rapid arctic ice loss. Over the course of a few decades in the late 1300s and 1400s, vast amounts of ice were flushed out into the North Atlantic, which not only cooled the North Atlantic waters, but also diluted their saltiness, ultimately causing AMOC to collapse. It is this collapse that then triggered a substantial cooling.

Fast-forward to our own time: between the 1960s and 1980s, we have also seen a rapid strengthening of AMOC, which has been linked with persistently high pressure in the atmosphere over Greenland. Lapointe and Bradley think the same atmospheric situation occurred just prior to the Little Ice Age—but what could have set off that persistent high-pressure event in the 1380s?

phys.org...

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I thought the Gulf Stream was slowing down and had been for a decade or 2/3 now which will also cause a freeze at more northerly regions.

quick check and

www.livescience.com...

You start by saying what i say above but the quote says about more hot water travelling north not less.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your point.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
I thought the Gulf Stream was slowing down and had been for a decade or 2/3 now which will also cause a freeze at more northerly regions.

I recall reading somewhere back when the Deepwater Horizon debacle in the Gulf occurred that because of the massive amounts of Corexit that was used to minimize the potential damage to the company in fines (kept the oil below the surface, fines are based on how much oil escapes), it was going to cause a major drop in the Gulf Stream current, having potentially catastrophic effects in the northern Atlantic water.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Technically we are still in an ice age aka the Pleistocene.

As ice still sits atop the poles at Greenland and Antarctica.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:43 AM
link   

You know I am pretty certain they figured this out decades ago and said it was the cause of the Little Ice Age, conditions were warmer than today in Scandinavia and Greenland, there was some contention if I recall about what actually triggered it but the gulf stream came was the favourite though they also looked at some volcanic eruptions around the world as well.

I would regard this new study as simply having gone over already trodden ground, there research is nothing new but is simply restating what was already believed to have caused the little ice age.

We are technically just coming back out of the little ice age as well, it put an end to the age of Viking expansionism as well, the colony's on Greenland died off with the malnutrition of the population leading to there average height which had been about six foot falling to about 5'4" for men and bones recovered from the remains of a few dwelling's showing that they were suffering extreme malnutrition before the end.

The foundation of a stone church is all that remains of a once proud building that was ground down by glaciers in a surprisingly short amount of time, it had been settled earlier as well with some evidence showing human settlement back in about 2500 BC (Before Christ no such thing as Common Era that is just an anti Christian corruption of BC by adding E after it) and there descendants died out as well so it get's warm and cold a lot there.

At it's height the little ice age crept very far south and came close to starting another full blown ice age, glaciers in the alps grew, the Canal's of Venice froze solid and even as late as the 1850's Londoners celebrated an annual winter market in the middle of the Frozen Thames which used to freeze every year until that time.

Now we are being told that farting cows will cause the end of the world in a look at this hand while my other does something else trick on the public while the real damage is actually plastic and chemical pollution done by big corporation's and not people heating there homes or cooking there food.

Yes the Atlantic or rather Oceanic Conveyor system does periodically change and when it does it has a direct affect on atmospheric current's like the northern hemispheres jet stream as well, when it stops or slows it gets colder and when it starts up again it brings warm water to the northern hemisphere and warms much of norther Europe (more than it does the norther regions of the US or Canada though they are also warmed in part by it).

But this is really old hat and has been studied and theorized and supported as proven in the past before this study.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767
Correct this was identified years ago. This data suggesting the oil well repair slowing the Gulf Stream is new to me. But the bottom line is the Earth is one giant feedback loop and the "science" that is being hoisted upon us ignores the cycles and tries to imply man is speeding it up. If the Cabal weren't buying up land on the coast I might not know in my inner being they are liars besides their wanting to get rid of plant food in the atmosphere.

edit on 19-12-2021 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm just guessing here. Could the current changes and such have something to do with the pole shift that we're going through at the moment?

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

CE actually means Current Era where BCE means Before Current Era

Consider that millions if not billions of people before, during, and after the person that some people call Jesus Christ is said to have "lived" never even heard of him.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
ocean currents affect weather
the sun affects weather
volcanoes etc blocking the sun affect weather
who knows what else affect weather

I find it hard to believe humans affects weather much.

do the world-is-warming crowd really have science on their side?

interesting topic. thanks OP.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: clarify

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

I recall reading somewhere back when the Deepwater Horizon debacle in the Gulf occurred that because of the massive amounts of Corexit that was used to minimize the potential damage to the company in fines (kept the oil below the surface, fines are based on how much oil escapes), it was going to cause a major drop in the Gulf Stream current, having potentially catastrophic effects in the northern Atlantic water.

I recall reading and seeing on the news numerous claims that because of Deepwater Horizon it wouldn't be safe to swim or fish in the Gulf of Mexico for decades.

Environmentalists are always alarmist as hell and overexaggerate everything, and then wonder why people don't want to listen to them.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Technically we are still in an ice age aka the Pleistocene.

As ice still sits atop the poles at Greenland and Antarctica.

But, you know, we've been told that as the planet comes out of an ice age, it's totally not warming naturally. It's ALL human-caused...

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

The fact that there is ice around the poles in both norther and southern hemispheres dictates we are still in an ice age.

Our civilisation just happens to exist during an interglacial period.

For most of our planets history it was too warm for polar ice caps to form.

Our Earth moves in Epochs, as to our contribution to the changes, our fault or not, we are going to have to learn to adapt and live with the changes that are in the post else i suspect our race will stagnate on the vine and become extinct.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The fact that there is ice around the poles in both norther and southern hemispheres dictates we are still in an ice age.

Our civilisation just happens to exist during an interglacial period.

For most of our planets history it was too warm for polar ice caps to form.

Our Earth moves in Epochs, as to our contribution to the changes, our fault or not, we are going to have to learn to adapt and live with the changes that are in the post else i suspect our race will stagnate on the vine and become extinct.

That's not what the climate alarmists say though. They say very little, if any, of the climate change we are seeing is natural. It follows, then, that they think if humans just cleaned up our act the climate would stay the same or wouldn't be changing at any meaningful rate.

Are you saying they're wrong?

Hint: They're wrong.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 05:13 PM
link   

My feelings are perfectly clear on the matter.

Change is in the post blame matters little.

We adapt and overcome, just like we have for at least the last 200,000 years, or we don't.

If people wish to squabble over the man vs nature debate they are kind of missing the point.

If a house is on fire you vacate the building and phone the fire brigade you don't sit there debating who's at fault or if it was an act of god.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Well said. I'm not sure that's the best choice of analogy because the house definitely is not on fire when it comes to climate change haha but your point still stands.

posted on Dec, 19 2021 @ 07:50 PM
link   
so pretty much - cow farts had nothing to do with the little ice age

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

Is that in the BP OIL forum we used to have?

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kocag

No pole shifts here.... its just transfer of warm water going north, melting ice, in turn that floating ice and cold water actually stops the transfer and starts an Ice Age of sorts.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

sometimes the warmth comes from below the ice were no human effect is involved

Volcanos under the poles. Artic and Antarctic

top topics

<<   2 >>

join