It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake swarm.. what is going on off the coast of Oregon?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2021 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: Ghostsdogood

I have a thing about islands and the west coast of the country. Having one pop up would support my childhood delusions.

I would also like to see that, but NOT where the quakes are currently located, that depth could lead to a real disaster.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The swarm was mentioned on the Spokane news KHQ this morning. no real info just a mention that it was happening and that some reports of it being felt in Spokane.

Nothing on the KHQ website it just mentioned on the live broadcast so no links

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Since the shift in demographic Here on ATS over the last few years sadly i dont visit as much as i used to... But came here just to see if Soneone had Posted about this swarm. Its still ongoing and as of today seems to be shifting or the activity is migrating further east. After checking in with several public seismologist, itreallt does seem to be downplayed... Which worries me. Lol

While eqs of thise size arent rare on the Blanco fault, we had a mag6+ there a few years ago, i couldnt find any record of a swarm like this where so many occured in such a shoet time period. We had over 50 yeatersay mag4+ in a 24hr period, when a very aprox average is probably that many over a 3-5yr period.

Its true theres no recors of any individual eq thwre triggering anything on Cascadia or elsewhere but the fact this is atypical or abnormal even yet the more public officials dont even mention that as even just a curiosity... Makes me wonder if they are teying to quell panic.

Reminds me very much of governments reactions to covid initially- where the biggest pressure was and is put on quelling panic. That statement may be opposite to how most feel here... But please dont let politics make my comment irrelevant, because excluding that analogy this swarm definitely appesrs to be at the very least different than the activity ever documented there so far.

On the 7th the day before this swarm started there was also unusual swarms on the Japanese side of the pacific plate that had been building for a few days. Ovee the last couple weeks also several eqs right at the triple junction im Cali, aswell as swarms off the Baja Pennisula coast a few days ago

There also seems to be juat a higher base lvl of smaller activity on the west coast, especially south of the triple fault junction along San Andreas over the last month or so just in my anecdotal opinion- ive followed general quake activity for about 15 years now but just as a hobby/curiosity definitely not a professional by any means... But its def unususk in that tine period imo

Now the most likely outcome is that the swarm stops and nothing major happens- i am asolutely not intending to fear monger here. But just speculating that there doea seem to be a lot of pressure/energy in that area recently and now with this historically large swarm migrating along the bottom of the Juan de Fuca... I definitely think its something to at leaat be aware of- especially if you happe. To live in the PNW. Im not saying this is gonna trigger "the big one" in the north or south of W Coast lol but i would expect to see unusual activity before something like that happened- if it were going to in my lifetime.

Either way cheers glad to see the topic already Posted - hopefully it becomes just another in a long list of seismic oddities and not a precursor to something more
edit on 063148411am31America/Chicagov by itswhatev because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: BlueJacket

They still hitting the 5.0 and above range?

Yes, 4s and 5s some lower too, but it’s certainly the highest level of activity I’m aware of, compared to 600 in 10 days…303 in less than 1 seems significant to me.

Eta: I miss having TrueAmerican and the other quake watcher from the old days

My first thought and what caused me to login at all was "I bet True American has a thread up on ATS" lol

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
No one seems to be too worried, as it continues.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: zeetroyman
a reply to: M5xaz

need to know where to look max www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Sure, I can find it ELSEWHERE

but not on the USGS site - that is the weird part...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join