It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going on with this F-22?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I waited a few days to see if anyone would say anything. Given how slow the group is, I'm not surprised no one did, but...

A picture cropped up of an F-22 with metallic skin flying around. There's been speculation as to what it is we are seeing. Before I speculate, here's the picture:

She is a beaut, if nothing else. She reminds me of the old days of the 1950s with the shiny aluminum skins.

Which is entirely weird for an F-22. The layers of RAM are normally placed atop the airframe. Some have suggested this is just a bare 22. That's not the case. Some have suggested this is a new material being tested. that one seems probable to me. However, it could also be a test of how 'bright' they can make a 22 with purely metallic skin.

There was supposedly a 117 seen with the metal skin as well, but I haven't found a picture.

So, what does ATS think the blue beanies are doing with the raptor there?

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Test flight before paint.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:04 PM
link   
is this an actual photograph
or a computer simulation thing?

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wheres FeartheBones when you need him!

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Link here

Seems to be new sensor testing some speculation mirror like coating/skin is for anti laser weapons

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Doesn't look like it to me. For comparison:

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Smart skin testing for NGAD is the most likely explanation. If you look closely at the tail there are bits that don’t appear to match a standard F-22.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Demonstration plane, no paint for better vis at shows and be able to show up on airport radar. F-117 and B2 have/had issues with civilian patterns. Talked with a 117 pilot once about that issue.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

They use Luneberg Lenses for radar, and they fly standard grey F-22s for the demo team. This is something different.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   

cool paint job like the 'toxic' F117

if it was painted it would be primer green

eta: that small black patch and the tiles on the left back tail fin looks interesting

edit on 29-11-2021 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It is so obvious to me what that is!

We have obviously stolen advanced Japanese tech.

Did none of you grow up in the 1980’s???

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Have no fear, the answer is here. Italics mine.

In June 2020, The War Zone exclusively reported that one of Scaled Composites Model 401 "Son Of Ares" demonstrators had flown a number of test flights over Naval Air Weapons Center China Lake covered in a highly reflective metallic coating.

It had a similar patchwork quality to what we are seeing here on the F-22. At the time, we posited that this could be for testing advanced infrared sensors and even possible low-power laser systems and their targeting capabilities against a 'mirrored' target.

There is a tremendous amount of testing currently ongoing on infrared search and track systems (IRSTs) that are in the early processes of being widely fielded by the Air Force and the Navy, as well as developmental work on emerging aerial laser systems.

Of unique note is ongoing testing of multiple General Atomics Avenger unmanned combat air vehicles sporting Legion IRST pods that has been occurring over the Mojave Desert. These tests have been in conjunction with the Skyborg aerial artificial intelligence initiative and larger highly advanced testing scenarios.

The testing of various laser systems is also becoming extremely aggressive, as well as part of a larger push to move directed-energy concepts into an operational state. This includes laser systems intended to be fielded aboard fighter aircraft.

Of course it's that darned terminator Skyborg crap.

The War Zone
edit on 29-11-2021 by billxam because: added line

edit on 29-11-2021 by billxam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Actually the Skyborg testing was General Atomics with the Avenger. If this is a laser coating, it’s a separate program.

posted on Nov, 29 2021 @ 07:46 PM
link   

That's from Team Rogoway. Take with a HUUUUUUUGE grain of salt.

posted on Nov, 30 2021 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

That's from Team Rogoway. Take with a HUUUUUUUGE grain of salt.

What's the problem with that guy for those of us not in the know?

posted on Nov, 30 2021 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Zaph can explain better, but his team excretes a lot of ... wild nonsense with little bearing for reality. He does often get good scoops, but his interpretations are often wild extrapolations, often overly sensationalist. He has less axes to grind than, say, David Axe, but...he's writing to drive web traffic and the more wild it is, the more he'll get clicks.

posted on Nov, 30 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   

He usually trawls his stories from other sources (including here),adds his own spin and pawns them off.

posted on Dec, 1 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

have definitely seen stuff from here go there

and honestly vise versa

we here love air craft the general public or those who have a passing interest will go to that site and we have our site

posted on Dec, 10 2021 @ 06:24 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I know you cant cut stuff like Stainless Steel with a Laser as it reflects back and stuffs up things..Waterjet cutting is preferable buuut dont think equipping planes with long fire hoses will work..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join