It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respite from Doom & Gloom...how about Hats??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Depends on the Akubra that you get whether they're hot like that or not. Plus, Akubras are made to be in hot weather, the sweatier you get them the better they look. They're pretty rugged hats, the real-deal outback hats. Akubra has been around for quite a while. I have a Cattleman which is vented and not too hot. It's the perfect brim size for my elements. You might also look into the Territory by Akubra (much larger brim).

You might also look into the Outback Trading co. They have a canvas outback hat with a full mesh crown for ventilation. I think the models are the Kodiak and the Guide II (they have a couple others too).

One of the hats I really like right now is the Dorfman Pacific canvas hat. It looks kind of ratty, but it works great in pretty much all weather. It's not crushable (which I don't like), but it is shapeable.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I wear a Military Style Hat every day.
If i don't the top of my head Burns in the sun
even in the winter lol
Bald on top
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   
A lot of people really get into the Tilley bucket hats. I'm not a big fan of those (because those DO wear hot, IMHO), but that's definitely a popular line.

Fedoras are also really popular, and really slick looking hats IMHO. I can't really wear one though, they're not really my style and my head is too big. A person can drop some pretty sizeable coinage on a fedora too, like you can on western hats.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I've heard about the winters out there. Talk about COLD. In a couple years I'll be put that way for a bit. Looking to do some prospecting and a lot of fishing.
Heard that on the bomber hats. The weather stinks in my locale about 3/4 of the year. Wyoming will be an improvement. Lol.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Can’t wear Akubras when it’s hot mate, not canvas either, straw is the only way to go it’s just not durable
I need a full brim but not a wide brim. Where I come from, only tourists buy Akubras, it’s a brand name not a style.
Guess the Fedora will suffice for now

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: bluesman462002

The ironic part is I have always had a full head of hair, but still wear hats always.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Well, Akubra is indeed a trade name, but not just any trade name considering they've been in the hat business for almost 150 years. They made hats for the Australian military for decades and defined the "slouch hat".

I do get the straw hat thing though. I have several for summer. I honestly can't say they wear cooler though. When it gets really hot and still, I can't really tell the difference. When it gets like that I switch over to actual summer type hats like the Coolibar and Outdoor Research hats. Now, those hats wear cool and keep the sun off for sure.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   
POST REMOVED BY STAFF
edit on Sat Nov 27 2021 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I have a few hats, for different things.

When running, I have a peaked cap which keeps the sun off my nose (and the sweat from running down my forhead) but is light and airy.

For yardwork, working with stock, and mowing etc. I have a leather Akubra. It's extra weight holds it on no matter how windy or how hard I'm working.

I also have a white panama "bowls hat" which is for slow walks, and at the beach. It is quite light and has mesh sides which 'breathe'.

If the weather is cold, a woolen beanie is comfortable.

So, different hats for different situations. But sometime a 'hoodie' jacket does the job so no hat required.

edit on 27/11/2021 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I am a hat person through necessity.

I am photosensitive and strong sunlight and the glare is a trigger. So in the summer especially I will always have on a hat and sunglasses when I have to spend some time outdoors.

Generally I favor straight baseball style cap with a soft front, not that stiff one so the top molds to my head. I will also use visors since the principle purpose is sun deflection.

Whatever I wear, I prefer it to be floppy with a broad brim to shield the sun.

posted on Nov, 27 2021 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Many people think hats are 'hot' to wear, but they actually keep your body temperature cooler than without one. Seems kind of counterintuitive, when you take off a hat and suddenly feel cooler as the sweat evaporates off your head, but the reality is...moments later you are actually hotter than before.

Shelter from the sun is a great thing to prevent heat exhaustion and heat stroke, and a hat is a good way to do this. It's one of the reasons hats have been so popular throughout history.

posted on Nov, 28 2021 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Mine is migraine prevention although I do have fine hair (not thin), so I need it also for sunburn prevention. I have actually blistered the top of my head more than any other part of my body.

I used to love spending time outdoors between track practice and spending hours just fishing with my dad. I don't get to spend nearly that much time outside anymore.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join