It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a Old Book On Occult / Magic Symbols

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Many years ago someone on ATS recommended a book (an older book I believe was written in the 50s?) they referred to as the gold standard on occult symbology. I do not recall the name of the book, however, at the time I did look it up and found it had a light blue cover, was large format, and was expensive. I found one listed on eBay for around $150.

Anyone here know the name of this book by chance?

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 01:29 AM
link   
It might be digitized here: Embassy of the Free Mind

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

Did not see it digitized here and this site seems to focus on digitization of pre-1900 books. The one I am referring to was definitely post 1900's,

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Type1338 No the catalog is very extensive and takes a very long time to go through over 1000 volumes of what you've asked about. Some of them likely the inspiration for the book you are looking for; there's one I can't recall myself it was something like the Sorcerers Handbook or The Sorcerers Apprentice; unfortunately tons of other stuff is piled on top of such sort of works from more mainstream media... I suppose you may have discovered that yourself in your search the boolean operator asterisk and dot with file extensions is fun to use for example plugging *.pdf or *.txt with another key word close to what you are looking for as the asterisk is a wild card like if you know the title say Magic symbols.* will bring back basically any file on the other side of the dot an underscore _ between words is sometimes used in file systems so Magic_Symbols.* would make more sense in some searches to older servers.

Hopefully someone remembers or recalls you can also use the search mentioned in ANY search box anywhere like even here at ATS another site for all sorts of stuff with new additions as soon as they are scanned is: ancienttexts.org

Hopefully this helps? More than just hanging and hoping someone remembers it like you do but with the exact title

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I did have fun with the boolean operator and discovered a new site. Thanks for that. Someone here somewhere will know which book I am referring to and post it up. ATS never forgets.

EDIT: Found it!!!!

The Secret Teachings of All Ages
www.ebay.com...:g:9CAAAOSwXpdhEFkn

EDIT 2: Found a digitized version here: archive.org...

I'd prefer an original copy but they get expensive: www.ebay.com...:g:9CAAAOSwXpdhEFkn
edit on 20-11-2021 by Type1338 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Type1338

Awesome glad to hear it.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 03:48 AM
link   
A quick ATS search, shows this book getting mentioned alot. Seems worth a read

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Thanks! I have the archive.org up and I will be looking at the book.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
A quick ATS search, shows this book getting mentioned alot. Seems worth a read

Indeed, however, now I'm discovering there are multiple versions of reprints of this book and a lot of information has apparently been altered due to poor attention to detail in the reprinting. I'm also reading it lacks a lot of the key illustrations Manly included in his original work. The question is how much do I want to pay for an original printing? They are going for $1,900 for printings in great condition. I've found one around the $700 range but its binding is completely destroyed.

Hmmmm.....what to do.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 12:28 PM
link   
you might also like to read "Le dragon rouge" (The Red Dragon)
later republished as 'The grand Grimoire'

The original version of the book was some sort of magazine in Europe and forbidden, for a long time it was sold 'under the counter' if you knew where to look.

I was searching for the book in the early nineties, before the internet and literally thrown out of several spiritual and occult book stores just for asking about it. A bit ironic that you can find it everywhere now, even pdf download

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLabelle2
you might also like to read "Le dragon rouge" (The Red Dragon)
later republished as 'The grand Grimoire'

The original version of the book was some sort of magazine in Europe and forbidden, for a long time it was sold 'under the counter' if you knew where to look.

I was searching for the book in the early nineties, before the internet and literally thrown out of several spiritual and occult book stores just for asking about it. A bit ironic that you can find it everywhere now, even pdf download

Thank you for the recommendation. So I should search for "The Grand Grimoire"?

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Contact the organisation that MP Hall set up if you are that interested, they are all about sharing with seekers

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Might I suggest trying to find it in used book stores locally and when you go on vacation or call them and ask ahead with a price quote? Perhaps someone on ATS has one collecting dust, perhaps your local or university library with access to the photocopy machine.

A print of a print of a print etc. is annoying in such a manner when such a "house" reaches 100 years old however? Public domain, changing it by rearranging it or leaving things out allows one a "copy right" or build another house, not really a good thing due to all those issues you've mentioned as it often is about money and not the contents itself.

My guess is it is only so valuable for the artwork presented within it; too many "collectors" for it as art, but as actual practice? To quote a meme: Ain't nobody got time for that.

Especially if it is lacking the original intention.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Manly P. Hall

Manly Phall

Manly fall

The fall of man..

I always found that an odd name..

But yeah, it's an interesting work. I read it about a decade ago, it's always good for a reread though..

I got pushed in that direction by Bill Cooper, he referenced it alot in his "Hour Of The Time" broadcasts.

Respectfully,
~meathead
edit on 20-11-2021 by Mike Stivic because: Fixed grammar

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mike Stivic

Manly P. Hall

Manly Phall

Manly fall

The fall of man..

Well said. Coincidence, I think not.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I personally disagree as it is theosophy saying isn't the nose on your face special before you spite mine as I already have yours? By the way theosophy is meant to "never end" as it is the on going study of religion... the failing or trapping of theosophists/theologians is they compare and contrast instead of throw out themselves and all the previous garbage and start fresh with it... making everything they do? Mono polar; Leading to a bi-polar world.

But that is another thread probably already hanging out on ATS somewhere if you've a shovel and like digging.

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Um..

I'm just going to ask because I have no idea..

What did I say that you disagreed with?

I made an observation on the Authors name and then said it was an interesting read.

So exactly what are you disagreeing with?

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Mooncheese
edit on 20-11-2021 by infiniteMeow because: mooncheese

posted on Nov, 20 2021 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

That it is an interesting read...

If you want you can hear him narrate it himself on YouTube.

posted on Nov, 21 2021 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Why the number 1338 if you don't mind sharing, I just noticed that was my full name in Jewish Gematria, was just looking at it an hour ago or so, then I noticed your name just there
These type of synchronicities happen a lot to me, can you tell me what the number 1338 means to you

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join