It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA back to oil and gas drilling!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   

The Biden administration on Wednesday is opening more than 80 million acres in the Gulf of Mexico to auction for oil and gas drilling, a record offshore lease sale that will lock in years of planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions.

The lease sale is a major reversal of Biden’s commitment to shut down new oil and natural gas leases on public lands and waters and comes just days after the president’s pledge to slash emissions during the United Nations climate summit in Glasgow, Scotland.

USA back to oil and gas drilling!

Hopefully this holds up. These gas and oil prices we are seeing now can’t stay like this , people can’t afford these prices. $4-5 a gallon at the gas pumps , %43 increase in home heating oil and a %30 percent increase in natural gas. How can elderly on SSI afford these increases.

Don’t worry though with Biden’s American job plan they intend to build 500,000 charging stations for electric cars. How out of the touch is this administration . Hopefully these charging station have receptacles we can plug into. When people are homeless from heating bills they can plug their coffee pot or curling iron into a JB charging station.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Enduro

they are masters as putting the cart before the horse. I can totally see why charging stations would be needed for electric cars. But we don't have enough electric cars on the road to warrant having these stations. Maybe we will in the near future. Or maybe it will be discovered that the batteries either in production, or in obsolescence cause more environmental harm than burning fossil fuel. If that was to happen, then it would make the investment of all those charging stations pointless.

But, there is another side to the charging station conundrum. You would need to also build some kind of time wasting station with the charging station. If you put a charger on route 66 in the desert, sure it may help that guy who is trying to travel the country 250 miles at a time, but he needs something to do while he waits for the charge. Perhaps a candy crush game?

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:04 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

they are masters as putting the cart before the horse. I can totally see why charging stations would be needed for electric cars. But we don't have enough electric cars on the road to warrant having these stations. Maybe we will in the near future. Or maybe it will be discovered that the batteries either in production, or in obsolescence cause more environmental harm than burning fossil fuel. If that was to happen, then it would make the investment of all those charging stations pointless.

But, there is another side to the charging station conundrum. You would need to also build some kind of time wasting station with the charging station. If you put a charger on route 66 in the desert, sure it may help that guy who is trying to travel the country 250 miles at a time, but he needs something to do while he waits for the charge. Perhaps a candy crush game?

Yes, I think this will be another case where we are paying people to make money off of the 'infrastructure'..... and the charging stations will set there unused.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You would need to also build some kind of time wasting station with the charging station. If you put a charger on route 66 in the desert, sure it may help that guy who is trying to travel the country 250 miles at a time, but he needs something to do while he waits for the charge. Perhaps a candy crush game?

Indeed. I've been looking for venues as I run two 250kW+ chargers and that is an issue. Average charging times, I checked just now are 34mins. Some are quiet faster like my own car, others need two hours, to get somewhere.

The charging technology is already ripe to charge EVs super fast. In ten minutes I can go from almost 0% to 40% and reaching 80% is done after around twenty minutes. Range is 200 miles if I lead foot the pedal.

The new 21 model can do about 315 miles. IDK, 500km travel distance and 20 minute break sounds okay for me. But yes, there are still slow chargers and the current solution is, that I offer a sofa to sit with a 50" LED, magazines and fresh ground and brew espresso (Izzo Supermiscela / Napoletano) and a nice Cantucinni or similar, in my entrance, for free.
edit on 18.11.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

So you are already in on this business?

I'd say if you can find something to sell folks who wait, you would have a gold mine on your hands. But you would need to have enough chargers for all who come. 2 chargers and 4 cars would make for 2 irritated drivers.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:54 AM
link   
POST REMOVED BY STAFF
edit on 18-11-2021 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:55 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 08:57 AM
link   

So where is all of the electricity coming from to power these charging stations?

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:03 AM
link   

This is hilarious.

This is the exact consequence of EV that pretty much everybody that isn't a fake environmentalist said would happen. They have to ramp up cheap domestic production.

Fake environmentalism, through their charity grifts and the government lobbying they fund, have cost average people hundreds of billions and it's gone directly into wealthy pockets.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Jesus the Irony continues 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Right AFTER he signs the Infrastructure Bill that has Green things in it 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well boys maybe they are creating enough new jobs to counter these new jobs 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Hey maybe next they re-permit the Keystone XL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Creeky Leeky 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Yes I have a 700kW+ photovoltaik power plant on my rooftop, according to the transformator station energy flow meter, I push out more energy into the 20kV net than the local houses behind the transformer station pull from it, on normal sunny days, even winter when there is no snow.

That made me see a synergy there because I get more return if I sell it on a charger. So at times when the sun shines, the houses down the street, my shop and one charger running, it's a zero sum game at the transformator station.

I run a car and engine enhancement shop, also deep cleaning and restoration of leased cars. It all started buying the building for renting out parking space for higher tier cars intended for race tracks. People liked to have a hydraulic lift and tools, that's how I got the first contracts for engine work.

It's a lot of synergies tied up together, I thought about asking a bakery or similar to rent in, because that is missing here, people need to drive long distances to get to a real bakery (not frozen, rewarmed). That way I would have more time for actual work, not playing barista for customers that just want to charge. It's not like the chargers are running 24/7, but often there is at least one car and it got so much more over the summer.

EV really kick off here currently.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It will take years before it has any impact. Have to hire, train, build and transport equipment. The bigger problem are all the electric cars coming out with not enough charging stations and the stress on the grid. Rolling blackouts will become as common as eating lunch.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If charging stations were profitable, there would be several convenience store chains putting them up all over the place.

I have never seen one of those charging stations in use within 100 miles of where I live. I know where several are but they just take up an otherwise usable parking space.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Once upon a time, before the 1970’s oil embargo, there was this restaurant out of Tennessee that had gas pumps out front. In fact all their restaurants had gas pumps out front. And half the store was merchandise for casual shopping like t shirts, candy, soda pop, simple to make toys, souvenirs, etc.

Maybe is Joe asked real nice, Cracker Barrel might let him put some chargers on the edges of the parking lot. Bet Stuckey’s would too if just to sell some more burgers and rubber snakes to scare grandma in the garden. Who knows, maybe Olive Garden, IHOP/Applebee’s and other big chains would want in on a captive audience as well.

But one thing has to end. States that are doing tiered registration for ICE, Hybrid and All Electric (yes talking about you Ohio) has to stop. I don’t drive often anymore, but I would pay an extra $100 for a Prius or $200 for a Tesla to “recoup” the gas tax I wouldn’t be paying.

At 38.5 cents per gallon tax. $100 would be roughly 260 gallons. At 16 gallons per tank that would be 16.25 tanks or roughly 5700 miles driven assuming 22 mpg or 350 miles per tank. Which is about right for my 2004 Mustang. I might get 25-27 mpg on a long road trip. And double all that for an all electric. So if you drive 10,400 miles a year you would break even…except hybrids tend to get 30-40 mpg on gas with 13 gallon tanks. Hmmm. So are you paying more than you would on a regular ICE that was more fuel efficient than a Mustang? Absolutely.

Definitely paying more than me because I might not drive 1000 miles in a year which would be about $17.50 gas tax. I’d still be paying the extra $100 or $200 respectively and an extra $9.62 in gas tax for the hybrid assuming 40 mpg ($12.83 for 30 mpg) for that same 1000 miles. So split the difference and say $10 per 1000 miles? Which is what you would pay in very fuel efficient car anyway without tacking an upfront $100 a year.

The 10000 miles per year in a 35 mpg ICE would be roughly $110 gas tax versus $200 for the all electric. You’d have to drive your electric about 18,000+ miles per year to equal that $200 gas tax in a 35 mpg ICE.

So more than just the extra price of the car, you can get hoodwinked by the shakedown artists that inhabit government. Of course they are going to need more money to pay off (foreign aid) to former OPEC nations that no longer have an exportable product/resource.

Welfare for oil sheiks just sounds wrong…but welcome to progress.
edit on 18-11-2021 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
If charging stations were profitable, there would be several convenience store chains putting them up all over the place.

Two local chains are incorporating chargers in the design of all of their new stores. All of the wiring will be done at the time of the build. All that will be necessary is to hook up the chargers when they decide to. Both chains already have chargers at some of their locations. I know this because I worked on some of the design for their new stores and saw it on the prints. now figure that I haven't worked there since 2018 and they were planning it then.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

EV, IMHO only makes sense if they are charged with renewable energy sources.

The energetic ROI of my PV plant is 2.4something years on a 1000W/m² based calculation. That means in that timespan, the energy needed to produce the panel, from the waiver to the glass, backfoil and aluminium frame, is zero sum.

The panels are good for 20 years. Financially, the power plant would even out in about ten years. However, because of the chargers and the coupled selling price being more than three times what I would get pushing it into the grid, that reduced financial ROI down to under four years.

The issue with the price isn't just greed on my side. Because I would supply energy through the transformators counter and then the energy does a 180° turn and goes right back through the consumer counters but I get three times less and the power utility company has to do nothing (it's my transformer) but earns thousands.

The topic is very vast and complicated, lot's of efficiency losses if one is not careful. My mission is not only to earn money and charge my own EV, I want to bring EV closer to people. I am not affected by EV taking away business, as I am contracted under BMW and race cars are not subject to ICE bans.

The most important thing to recognize about EVs is, that they are not more environmental friendly than ICE, if not charged by renewable energy source. If it's charged with electricity gained from burning fossil fuels, that's only moving emissions to somewhere else.

Both can't be compared directly, as the amount of parts and such is vastly different. You have to add all the holding costs for ICE spare parts and that multiplies up the whole chain.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   

A federal judge on Monday issued a nationwide injunction on President Joe Biden’s executive order to halt oil and gas operations on all federal lands in the name of fighting so-called climate change.

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Why would you want the risk and added expense of electric charging stations at gas stations? The instillation would be many times more expensive just to keep it safe from any spark from the electrical side from blowing up the gasoline side.

You odviously know nothing about gas stations and the National Electrical Code.

Like has already been mentioned, put them at resteraunts where they will be safer. My convenience store reference was for electric only installations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join