It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

USA back to oil and gas drilling!

page: 2
15
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
If charging stations were profitable, there would be several convenience store chains putting them up all over the place.

I have never seen one of those charging stations in use within 100 miles of where I live. I know where several are but they just take up an otherwise usable parking space.


Gasoline is not profitable for convenient stores. They make their money on $3 soda and $4 wizard finger hot dogs. They do not make money on gas so you are correct. It would take years to re-coup the retrofitting of gas stations. It would be cheaper to demolish the store and start over. That's how expensive it would be.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
a reply to: JIMC5499

Why would you want the risk and added expense of electric charging stations at gas stations? The instillation would be many times more expensive just to keep it safe from any spark from the electrical side from blowing up the gasoline side.

You odviously know nothing about gas stations and the National Electrical Code.

Like has already been mentioned, put them at resteraunts where they will be safer. My convenience store reference was for electric only installations.


Actually I know quite a bit about gas stations and the NEC. That's the reason that the charging stations are at a separate building, that usually houses the Car Wash. My current job is designing high voltage, high amperage electrical equipment.

Your comments show your lack of knowledge in these systems. Some of our equipment is designed for use in explosive atmospheres.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

sent PM



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   
My money is on a Chinese company closely connected to the CCP winning the lease.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar


Maybe is Joe asked real nice, Cracker Barrel might let him put some chargers on the edges of the parking lot. Bet Stuckey’s would too if just to sell some more burgers and rubber snakes to scare grandma in the garden. Who knows, maybe Olive Garden, IHOP/Applebee’s and other big chains would want in on a captive audience as well.



that is brilliant. Market the charging stations to chain restaurants. There is money to be made here.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Enduro

Looks like the "I Did That" Biden stickers did what they were supposed to do. We need lower gas prices.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Having to use equipment that is designed to be used in an explosive atmosphere just runs up the cost of the installation tremendously. Put the charging station down the road and you don’t have to worry about all those pesky customers demanding you replace their burned up cars.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The city next to where I live is planning to do this.
The City is developing a new EV charging ordinance that will require new and fully reconstructed parking lots have EV charging stations in 20% of spaces and the remaining 80% be EV-capable (supplied with supportive electric infrastructure for future installation of EV charging stations). City staff will be hosting a discussion with developers about the ordinance on December 2, 2021.

www.pressherald.com...



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Loadstain
The city next to where I live is planning to do this.
The City is developing a new EV charging ordinance that will require new and fully reconstructed parking lots have EV charging stations in 20% of spaces and the remaining 80% be EV-capable (supplied with supportive electric infrastructure for future installation of EV charging stations). City staff will be hosting a discussion with developers about the ordinance on December 2, 2021.

www.pressherald.com...


Are they addressing the impact on the power grid. Will the draw impact nearby businesses and residents? How many charging stations could the current grid handle if any? What is the impact on tax payers?



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

They don't care. it's all about their "Green" cred.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

NWAFR



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

originally posted by: Loadstain
The city next to where I live is planning to do this.
The City is developing a new EV charging ordinance that will require new and fully reconstructed parking lots have EV charging stations in 20% of spaces and the remaining 80% be EV-capable (supplied with supportive electric infrastructure for future installation of EV charging stations). City staff will be hosting a discussion with developers about the ordinance on December 2, 2021.

www.pressherald.com...


Are they addressing the impact on the power grid. Will the draw impact nearby businesses and residents? How many charging stations could the current grid handle if any? What is the impact on tax payers?


Take the gas consumption of CA convert it to joules ajust for ice efficancy ... than realise the only way to possibly make that much power in the time frame set is to burn the gas

You can't make technological advancement happen bye force just ask the Chinese how the great leap forward went



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Enduro

More global warming. Biden Admin is totally dysfunctional. Geesh.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

My personal view of this subject is pretty well known on auto sites - I have only a cerain number of minutes to live and I will not waste them sitting around waiting for a battery to charge when I can fill a tank in 5 minutes, regardless of the cost.

And before anyone replies, assume that there are 3 people in line ahead of me like I do. That possible 2 hours is now 8. No damned way.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: billxam

I agree it is still a time issue. However you and many forget that you should treat an EV different.

When I arrive at my shop, the first thing I do after getting out is plug in the charger. I don't even need to charge at home, but that's going to be the case for EV used in a family setting. Then, EV can trickle charge all night when energy is cheap anyways.

So the overtime at the electricity station for your EV isn't correct like you calculated it. It's only then correct if you travel more than a battery charge worth, you would have to wait 20 minutes in my case for a almost full battery, for every 200 miles. Tell me, how many days per year do you travel 200 miles in one stretch?

Sure, if you rip down 500 miles every day, EV is not for you currently. I am a petrol head btw, nothing beats ICE when it comes to emotions or "fire and forget" capabilities, like just let it sit in the garage with the tank not draining like a battery.

However, when my EV sits, it charges. It's a bit a change of behavior and since humans are habitual creatures that do not like change, these prejudices will prevail.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I'd be curious what that does to battery life? I know NICADS would get a "memory" depending on how they were charged. I know that these are not NICADS, but, I wonder if it is somewhat still the same?



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Biden is doing exactly what a certain woman prime minister did to the UK, sold off the oil and gas off the UK coasts. He's selling your crown jewels to the highest bidder and if they aint American you'll be at the mercy of who ever or which country buys it.



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

The car manages it all, it won't trickle charge like always keeping it at 100%, I meant low amperage, because there is time.

The battery in my car does not have any memory effect according to the manufacturer. It does not self discharge by any factor noticeable by me.

I should have written that I won't plug in the car when it's above 80% because when I will need these 80%, I know that before. So often, on days where I do not need to drive away from the shop, I won't plug in. It depends on the weather but that is personal preference. I rather charge "for free" from my PV plant than paying money elsewhere. So it's a mix and depends, when I will charge or not. It's not like I have to think a lot about it, it became a habbit just like I was used to refill a tank in 3 minutes.

The gist of my post was that many will charge when the EV isn't used anyways. I could have written to billxam that he can not fill up his tank at home "just like that". I know many houses with sockets but not many with barrels of fuel at home.

But that's just as unfair as comparing an EV that can be charged at home and most places with a socket, to a gasoline car. So I kept it to me.
edit on 18.11.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Enduro

You guys are so lucky to be paying what you are, in Canada we are paying $6.00 a gallon or $1.49 a litre.


edit on 18-11-2021 by enament because: (no reason given)



posted on Nov, 18 2021 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Gasoline up 60% this year. Whoopy Squirrels 🦇🤣🦇




top topics



 
15
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join