It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does removing Low level traffic violation actually help people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is so brilliant I’m cracking up over here. There are so many brain dead people championing this I can’t believe it.
This is one of those things that sound good but the reality is it is much much worse for the people it is “helping” buhahahaha.

www.cnn.com...

Low-level offenses such as registration plate and bumper issues will now be categorized as secondary offenses, which bar officers from conducting traffic stops, unless there is an additional high-level safety violation, according to the Philadelphia police department.

The new legislation does not change the motor vehicle code that drivers are legally required to follow, but those who commit minor infractions now only receive a warning or citation by mail.

You know where this is going right? It won’t be police that stop you anymore, you’ll just get your plate scanned and a bill will be sent to you in the mail. Nobody can claim that a scanner is racist so that won’t be an excuse anymore. If you don’t pay your bill that will lead to secondary charges and we are right back to the beginning, but actually probably much worse for some people. This feels very much like red light cameras!

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The police shouldn't be tasked with revenue generation like this, that's all it is, an excuse to hand you a summons that goes to the coffers of the local municipality where it occurred.

As for cameras, red light cameras and their ilk were ruled to be a conflict of interest and the constitutional issue of not being able to challenge the officer in court here in New Jersey so we don't have to worry about them for the time being. Not sure how it works elsewhere but ours have been off for years now.

edit on 3-11-2021 by AugustusMasonicus because: Cooking spirits since 2007

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Pfft, I don't think they pull people over up here in MI for NO plates at all anymore. I've seen enough plateless cars driving around that I'm wondering which 'hood gang has initiates running amok lately.

It's not a new thing, there was a massive car theft ring stealing them right off the lots and busting into dealership offices for a looong time last year. It won't go away ignoring the violations, either, it'll just get worse & then everything will be up for grabs because they're not enforcing # anymore.

Total dumb #s don't see this coming. Smart folk do, idiots think it's a windfall.

Edit: I'm not talking about the plate scanners per se, just the lack of give a # for enforcing just the basic rules of registration and stuff. Time's a tickin', insurances will go up, too -- liability risks being what they are.
edit on 11/3/2021 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The police shouldn't be tasked with revenue generation like this, that's all it is, an excuse to hand you a summons that goes to the coffers of the local municipality where it occurred.

As for cameras, red light cameras and their ilk where ruled unconstitutional in New Jersey so we don't have to worry about them for the time being. Not sure how it works elsewhere but ours have been off for years now.

Oh I’m totally in agreement that police should not have to do it, I’m just saying people actually think this is going to be better. It won’t be. Yes some place banned red light cameras, but there will be scanners cops use, (cha Ching, cha Ching, cha Ching) or something on their cars, or something else. It will keep moving.

edit on 3-11-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Oh I’m totally in agreement that police should not have to do it, I’m just saying people actually think this is going to be better. It won’t be.

The less minor traffic stops there are the better, even the police unions agree, it leads to less deadly encounters.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Don't know about traffic violations, but we were out doing some shopping today, decided to get a taxi back home because we had a load of bags.

Put the stuff in his boot, and there 2 other licence plates in there with completely different numbers.

Can only imagine what that fellow has planned, im thinking county lines or other nefarious shenanigans must be his side-line. LoL
edit on 3-11-2021 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I dont think cops should be pulling people over for A license plate light or failure to use a turn signal.

They might as well just be sticking their hands in my pocket and stealing my $$$.

They use these excuses to pull people over then start asking questions like "where are you headed" or what are you doing.,

And the cops say pulling people over is the most dangerous part of the job so why do they pull you over for a liscense plate light?
Its revenue collection and its complete BS

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: sciencelol

failure to use a turn signal.

I agree with registartion but failure to use a turn signal could affect other motorist, so for that one they probably should pull people over.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Put the stuff in his boot, and there 2 other licence plates in there with completely different numbers.

Can only imagine what that fellow has planned, im thinking county lines or other nefarious shenanigans must be his side-line. LoL

Or it could be from another rental vehicle he sold? I have three different plates in my garage from old cars.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I have three different plates in my garage from old cars.

I haven't returned two sets since the Vidsteria started since the lines were out the door and they required you to wear a mask even outside. GFY DMV.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Why does it not surprise me that it is Philadelphia?

Several years ago I took my Mother to visit my Sister in another State. A few weeks later I get a letter in the mail with a citation for speeding. In the letter there is a picture, with my car in it and several others with a box in the lower left corner with the day, date and time. It also says "76 MPH". There's a phone number on the citation so I call it. I'm told that I can mail a check for $78.50 to the address on the citation and that will take care of it. I told the woman that I would like a Court date. She told me that they didn't do that, just mail the check. I asked for a supervisor and the supervisor told me the same thing. Finally I looked at who issued the citation and called them. Finally I got a Court date. On that day I was called in front of the Magistrate and asked how I would plead. I handed him the picture and said "If you can tell me which car the radar is locked on to I'll plead no contest. If not I plead not guilty." He looked at the picture and asked me if I knew how radar worked? I said Yes, I used to work in aviation. He dismissed the case.

I found out later that the citation was issued in his name because of the location of the camera. His office had no record of the citation. That was handled by the camera company, with the State getting $20 for each citation. $58.50 went to the Company. They issued a citation to every vehicle in the picture with a readable license plate number. That State has since banned those cameras.

In Philly, I wonder who is going to be administering the issuing of citations and collecting the payments. Is the City going to hire new Public Sector Union employees or are they going to subcontract it?

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I agree with registartion but failure to use a turn signal could affect other motorist, so for that one they probably should pull people over.

My problem with it is they ca just say you didnt use a turn signal as an excuse to pull you over.
And you ca not prove you used one and the judge will take the cops side every single time
edit on 3-11-2021 by sciencelol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The less minor traffic stops there are the better, even the police unions agree, it leads to less deadly encounters.

Yes better for the cops, better for everyone else on the road,
as for the people with expired licenses etc, not so much.

Also, I don't think it will lead to less deadly encounters, because like I mentioned these things will go straight to secondary issues. Unless I'm totally wrong and these people are upstanding citizens and will quickly pay their late registration online? Who knows.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Also, I don't think it will lead to less deadly encounters...

Sure it will, the less stops there are the less opportunities there are for escalation.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

In Philly, I wonder who is going to be administering the issuing of citations and collecting the payments. Is the City going to hire new Public Sector Union employees or are they going to subcontract it?

I have a feeling they are going to set this up like Illinois.
You get a ticket in the mail and to actually fight the ticket cost more than the ticket!!!

I handed him the picture and said "If you can tell me which car the radar is locked on to I'll plead no contest. If not I plead not guilty." He looked at the picture and asked me if I knew how radar worked? I said Yes, I used to work in aviation. He dismissed the case.

edit on 3-11-2021 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 10:04 AM
link   

If a police officer witnesses someone change lanes or make a left turn, without using a their turn signals, that causes traffic to break or slow, the cop can pull that driver over for inattentive, reckless or negligent driving. If there's no harm and no foul and changing lanes or turning is executed safely, I don't think a traffic stop is necessary.

edit on 3-11-2021 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Wouldn't surprise me. The only reason that I disputed the ticket was that I have a security clearance and a charge of speeding that much over the limit is a higher level violation. There was no way I was doing 76 in a 45 zone with my Mother in the car. I'd have never heard the end of it.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

If there's no harm and no foul and changing lanes or turning is executed safely, I don't think a traffic stop is necessary.

I'll have to disagree. I think turning your signal on should be a thing of habit. If people get into a habit of not using it, they will probably do it at a time which could cause problems. I've seen so many accidents caused by it.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

Wouldn't surprise me. The only reason that I disputed the ticket was that I have a security clearance and a charge of speeding that much over the limit is a higher level violation. There was no way I was doing 76 in a 45 zone with my Mother in the car. I'd have never heard the end of it.

OMG I know what you are talking about. When I drove my mom she didn't want me going even the speed limit!!!🤣🚗

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 10:11 AM
link   
So why even have traffic laws? Why have speed limits and stop signs and red lights? Get in accident? Just drive away. Hit someone? Keep going.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join