It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lit up the hood, still not enough

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2Faced

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: 2Faced
You can always try to dabble in trying to generate the Hutchison effect

He was one of my neighbours for a time, I lived in the building next door, where they filmed his crazy apartment, filled with gear. I think it was for Discovery channel. This was in New Westminster B.C. His balcony had some radar dishes, and a 20mm anti aircraft cannon on it

I got to chat with him a few times, he was a bit eccentric, but pretty cool, chatted about some of the batteries he's made, very trippy guy, very different though, right out there!

That’s a cool neighbor to have. I envy you. It sounds like he and I would get along just fine.
He did some interesting research on levitating objects.

It's funny, I never knew what he was doing, he was just the character who had the 20mm cannon on his balcony. Then saw the cannon, and him on Discovery channel..kinda mindblowing, I found it very interesting stuff. Once I knew who he was we chatted about a few thing, he didn't mind talking a bit. Talked about the batteries, some stuff in Japan he did, stuff in Sweden he was planning to do, I think National Geographic was filming there one day as well..I have searched for anything from them, but not found it.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   
What size is the gen-set?

You mention 100 amps total output but what’s the watt output.
we always looked at and added the watts used to calculate amps needed.

a typical 30 hp 100 amp gen will have 25,000 watt (start up) cap but will cover 19-21k running watts.
it’s start up watts that will bring the gen-set to it’s knees and can do it without tripping the breaker.
maybe this will help.

trying to keep it simple here….

PS*******
I have a friend with a 30hp generac contractors gen-set that puts out continuous 21,500 watts (25k startup) through a 100 amp breaker.

electric motors use the most amps during windup to operating rpms.
Me buddy back feeds the houses 200 amp board through 50 amp dryer plug from the garage.
Problem is the gen puts out twice the power his feed can safely handle. I worry about him and fires.
Don’t make this mistake, it’s more common than people forgetting to throw the main breaker off that leads to the outside service.
The electric company wins that battle every time when the power comes back.

PPS. try throwing the breaker off then watch what the total amp output is when you throw the breaker back on.
Everything connected will be in start up and drawing the peak watts/amps.
Again, it’s not the continuous draw but the start up draw that is most important to calculate and know.
Notice that generators are sold by the watt out put.

example 30hp 22.5KW @100 amps

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: PSS

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Some places I have heard they install solar panels and a Lithium backup battery on your house for free and you share the profits with the company who puts it on your property/roof. My dad lives in Tennessee and I know they do that around Nashville.

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well, definitely keeping animals warm, but the ultimate plan is to power both the house and the barn and everything else on the property. But this takes some infrastructure to build it out, so in the meantime I'm just trying to keep the equipment exercised and up to par.

We need to come up with a system over here. I don’t trust our utilities. They went out so many times this year. We do not have a generator but we need to change that asap. I’m also looking into good ol’ fashioned wood burning stoves.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 05:38 AM
link   
My electrical engineer Bro in law says the stove and heat pumps take maximum energy at startup and that is usually 10,000 watts. For us at home we need a generator at home that those 10,000 watts are 80% of and they sell those at Home depot and Lowes. You sure need to consider startup as you pointed out here Pirate if you want it all to work at the same time. I would think even a big generator like the OP description would have a brown out with extra things added like you suggest. Turning those on one at a time would bypass that problem.

a reply to: PiratesCut

edit on 2-11-2021 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

originally posted by: Brotherman

Try this

You win!! tis almost the season too

A co-worker's wife put up their Christmas tree on Sunday.
Way too early.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

High voltage which lowers your amperage...thats how I would do it at least. Probably 240v but I assume service power coming in is upwards of 400A and I just dont see enough stations in one location to think it pulls more than 400A.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 08:11 AM
link   

This is a 45kW generator (WhisperWatt to be exact). 70hp turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel engine.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I’d hazard to guess you are good.
That would supply the total power needed for a large 5,000 hp tugboat.
They generally use 40-60KW gen-sets.
Just make sure your feeds to the house are adequate.
Using the screenshot I posted for method you can figure out max draw.
I have a 25KW 100 amp gen that is more than enough for my needs so you’re probably ok.
This house is over 3,500 sq ft of living with central AC and I have 2 welders and a 50 gal compressor myself.
My largest draws are the well, furnace and AC. I have no electric appliances such as a electric stove or electric dryer, those can change things…
I’ve never brought mine close to being on it’s knees.
Just please remember, make sure to use the right amount of copper to feed the house!

PS, If you are going to backfeed make sure you separate the house from the utility service or it will be fireworks when power comes back because you can’t beat electric company…….ever! Personally I wouldn’t do it without an automatic switchgear in place! I’ve seen too many accidents over the years.

edit on 08-19-2021 by PiratesCut because: PS

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Two words.

Tesla Coils

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Mario Bros.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 05:25 PM
link   

This is a 45kW generator (WhisperWatt to be exact). 70hp turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel engine.

Is that enough to charge my phone?

Noiiiiiice . You have it hooked up to an external diesel tank?

I'm looking within the next year to add one to run the whole house but trying to decide about the fuel type.

edit on 291130America/ChicagoTue, 02 Nov 2021 17:29:37 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 05:41 PM
link   

If you fish and don't have snow on the ground, make yourself a worm probe using the heaviest gage extension cord you can find. Cut the female end off and splice each wire to a 3' long copper spike, soak a patch of yard a ways from any buildings and devoid of pets, livestock, kids, etc overnight, then drive the three spikes into the ground about 2 feet apart from each other and go plug your cord into the generator. Let it run through your break in period, then unplug it and go gather the night crawlers that will amass around the perimeter of the electrical field you created.

Theoretically you should draw as much off the generator as the system's breaker will permit you to draw using that method... your only risk is melting the cable if it's not rated high enough.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 08:17 PM
link   
i have always used a test tank with salt water in it.
www.youtube.com...

you can adjust the test tank till you have 120% full load on the generator.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It would probably be a good idea to get one of those clamp-on amp
probes so you can see if the numbers add up. Test all the amps
that the equipment is drawing, then total that and see if it's close
to what the generator's ammeter is saying.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Definitely! I have a manual transfer switch for the whole-house cut off. I'm either on utility power, OR generator power, never both (it's impossible). I went with manual, over automatic, because often times our utility power will go off and then come right back on again. Auto switches switch immediately to generator and then monitor the sine wave and voltage of utility power for stability before switching back. That's all good, but I don't want the switch switching back to utility power in 10 minutes (or whatever). I'd rather run on generator for 30 minutes or so. With a manual switch I can choose how long I want to run on generator, it doesn't choose for me. Plus, the generator gets better exercise that way.

posted on Nov, 3 2021 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Is that enough to charge my phone?

Noiiiiiice . You have it hooked up to an external diesel tank?

I have a 200 gallon belly tank on the generator.

I'm looking within the next year to add one to run the whole house but trying to decide about the fuel type.

Well, I personally prefer diesel, but I have a lot of diesel equipment too. A lot of the natural gas and propane generator sets (Generac, I'm looking at you) are air cooled units (ours is glycol and water cooled). They're not really made for long duration 100% duty cycle operations. Our generator is a prime rated Class 4 unit meaning it can run under load 24x7x365.

edit on 11/3/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Fired up the generator tonight to try out some of the new heaters. Just put in (3) 250,000 BTU heaters in the barn. In addition, I hooked up every heater, every high intensity light, all the lights in the barn, all the big fans (used in summer), and (2) swamp coolers. Plugged in my 220 compressor (empty) and my welder. Fired up the welder, with everything else on (high), had (2) spiders with every electrical thing I own plugged in to them and 'on'...still couldn't even draw 50 amps. Have another 50 amps to go, and then some if I wire up the 480. Can't even get the generator to lug a little when I put the loads on it. Just shrugs it off like nothing is there.

I need to figure out how to put some load on this thing so I can run it under some heavy load for a couple hours. If I bring it down to the house, it just powers the whole house and the ammeter doesn't even hardly show a load...even with the A/C on.

Yes, I could get a load-bank, but those aren't cheap, and there's nowhere to rent one nearby (not a big one anyway).

Any ideas?

What is the voltage it runs? Are the heaters gas or heat strips?

I can run 480-3 phase, 250-bi-phase and 120 single phase. Without hard wiring I generally run 250 and 120.

Heaters are both gas and electric.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join