It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA wants to control the conversation around the search for ET

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Source: thenextweb.com...

……” A team of US government scientists working with NASA recently published a science article outlining a new “framework” for reporting scientific findings in the search for extraterrestrial life.

The proposed guidelines would create a “confidence scale” in order to “set reasonable expectations” about NASA‘s endeavors to track down evidence of alien life.”…..

…..” If NASA wants to control the narrative when it comes to the hunt for ET, it needs to encourage its scientists to use the scientific method, to publish findings in public-facing, non-paywalled journals, and to embrace the peer-review process.

Telling the rest of us how we’re supposed to interpret and understand scientific research is an exercise in government propaganda”……

Published for online Oct 27 2021. Below are the abstract, chart, conclusion from the framework paper… Source: Call for a framework for reporting evidence for life beyond Earth www.nature.com... 52JCjUDnSSqLC5BhXbWxxUcFJQ3KnlmY6LAuQF02dgmfPAEQqFuQhHT7iq8uOqnhGqUWJGAFWKU9xwVrg8ofZtBSQm0hNMoQ%3D

My thinking is that NASA is yet again creating a new “in the weeds” confusing bureaucracy …. over the search for life beyond Earth……. Measures to do so have already been at NASA for decades. I can’t believe NASA has just been Winging it’s search for life up until now. What……are they just now getting serious about it?

👽🍺🤔

edit on 1-11-2021 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-11-2021 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is because multiple groups have had "possible" hits over the past few years.

Most turned out to be nothing at all, but this is probably just so they can segregate out who they want the actual "discoverer" to be.

Sorry amateur astronomer. If you find ET, NASA is going to irrelevate your findings by delegating you to a low confidence number, while they use their instruments and teams to confirm higher confidence numbers and steal the limelight.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Isn't NASA part of the group that ridiculed those who reported seeing UFO's and perpetuated the "little green men from mars" moniker that stigmatized the UFO community for years? Yea, no. Pound sand bitches. When we could have been talking about this like adults, you were acting like school girls. be gone.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

They have controlled the narrative for decades by dodging the narrative, and now they want to control the narrative to tell us that they don't have a straight answer?

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I wonder what NASA would say if a UFO landed in Red Square and not the Whitehouse lawn. But then again if the aliens are watching the Whitehouse TV coverages I think the Russians would be a better bet for a deal.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 03:31 PM
link   

NASA can only control the narrative in the U.S., if at all. The rest of the world will do as they please.

Now, it is important to note they are not talking about ETs, but about extraterrestrial life forms, regardless on whether those life forms are intelligent or not. This means they give up establishing protocols for handling the most interesting situation: that of detecting non-terrestrial intelligent signals.

They basically want to elaborate protocols defining what a biomarker is, and what constitutes a biosignature. That is: they can only establish procedures and protocols about biomarkers and biosignatures that are clearly terrestrial yet found outside Earth. That's as much they can go.

Distinguishing natural from non-natural phenomena is simply fuzzy. Distinguishing artificial from biological intelligence is simply impossible. Identifying biological artificial intelligence is also beyond human current technology. Thus, whatever protocols, methodologies, and procedures NASA or whomever wishes to establish in connection with determining from Earth whether a signal is or not the product of intentional intelligence is doomed to fail. Recovering samples from the surface of planet X and taking them back to Earth is also doubtful due to contamination.

Face it: the only way to know if there is intelligent life out there is just being at a kissing distance from a non-terrestrial entity... which means you should wait for them to visit you. No other way is possible.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Direne

Wait?

Maybe it means we have to go there.

What the hell do you mean wait?

What if we think "wait" and they think "wait" we NEVER MEET.

Someone has to go boldly, and if we don't hear from ET soon-ish. It's going to be us, making the first move.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Your breakdown is clearer than my reading of the framework.

Most of this stems from the Astrobiology perspective references (bibliography) in order to formulate the proposed framework.

My humor comes from the notion that we would get to place, with a rover, in which while stopping and finding microbial lifeforms, at the same time, there is a bipedal alien waving hello at one of the rovers many cameras. So then we would ignore the waving Alien and concentrate on the microbial lifeforms. What irony! NASA to put the blinders on when the sentient being is staring you in the face.

Your “Face it” statement is the reality sense NASA has been oblivious to. 👍🏼

👽🍹

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Gilbert Levin found biosignatures on Mars yet NASA moved the goalposts on his discovery, so what makes anyone confident that NASA can be unbiased and report the true nature or event.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I ask you, who controls NASA? Today it’s Camel-ass Harris. If you want a straight answer then don’t put a politician in charge.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Isn't NASA part of the group that ridiculed those who reported seeing UFO's and perpetuated the "little green men from mars" moniker that stigmatized the UFO community for years? ;'''....

Got any actual quotes from NASA along those lines? Or are you still getting jollies from fuzzy space videos of random ice flakes dancing to thruster pulses?

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Planetary exploration has been strongly trending towards the view that biology may be active in multiple ecospheres even within our own Solar System.

Here’s a book foreword I wrote addressing the theme a few years ago
www.jamesoberg.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

What the hell do you mean wait?

I mean you can certainly go meet them. And handshaking them. Yet, nobody here will believe you. It apparently happened to some astronauts and cosmonauts. Whatever a few men see is not a valid proof. The event must be global, visible to the entire mankind. Not just a couple of guys. Being the only one experiencing something is the most cruel form of solitude.

a reply to: crayzeed

Sure. And we also had the Mars meteorite. The problem there was that what we unmistakenly took for a biosignature happened to also be a geological feature, therefore the issue remained unsolved. With signals happens the same. The only thing you can state with absolute certainty is whether or not they come from outer space. But there is no way to know if they are intelligent or just a product of natural phenomena.

NASA can only focus on biological life forms. It is not their job to ascertain whether they are intelligent or not. They should only guarantee the recovered samples are not Earth contamination, the DNA is not found on any terrestrial database, and the entities are truly biological as we know them. That's their job.

I guess the scientific community is just asking for a clear definition of key concepts, the lab procedures to follow by all independent partners to perform the required tests, and how to prepare the communication (who, where, when, in what terms?). This is something the radioastronomers already have in place (except that some of them do not follow the protocol, like Mr. Loeb).

In essence, there are two separate questions that need be addressed: what is life, and what is intelligence. Without a clear understanding and agreement about these terms the debate will always be hot.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Well, still not what we want to hear, but then again acknowledging anything about ETs is a good thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
But then again if the aliens are watching the Whitehouse TV coverages...

They would destroy the world if they are watching Whitehouse TV coverages.

A fleet of alien spacecraft would surround the world's major cities and all of humanity would wait to see if they come in peace.

Joe Biden will receive assurance from Dr. Fauci that the aliens' mission is a friendly one.

Ack Ack Ack 🤣

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg
Planetary exploration has been strongly trending towards the view that biology may be active in multiple ecospheres even within our own Solar System.

Here’s a book foreword I wrote addressing the theme a few years ago
www.jamesoberg.com...

I read it well, as microbial life being the best prospect of all, to acknowledge life outside planet earth, exists elsewhere. I’ll agree to that……but Jimmy….come on, your still not ready to throw in the towel and say that besides microbial life, there is a deep suspicion that walking breathing bipedal life exists as well? Your a hard nut to crack 😆

👽🍺

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Isn't NASA part of the group that ridiculed those who reported seeing UFO's and perpetuated the "little green men from mars" moniker that stigmatized the UFO community for years? Yea, no. Pound sand bitches. When we could have been talking about this like adults, you were acting like school girls. be gone.

I find all this openness and acceptance of aliens in government and the military nothing more but suspicious. All off a sudden DOJ videos get leaked over and over and then even get confirmed by them. Military are all of a sudden no longer shunned from speaking about it and neither are civilian pilots anymore. Again all this suddenly changed. Distraction distraction distraction i say.

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 09:22 PM
link   

No.
As there are so many folks out there just spreading the feces thick , NASA will most likely follow the other sciences with a Sigma style rating system.
And it is about time .

posted on Nov, 1 2021 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Focused accountability and transparency … how refreshing.

I remember six sigma……..never made it to Black Belt

👽🙁

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

No.
As there are so many folks out there just spreading the feces thick , NASA will most likely follow the other sciences with a Sigma style rating system.
And it is about time .

this comment is a prime example of those that hold the "scientists/experts" like religious fanatics hold their "high priests/iams/leaders" .
Beyond approach and if you dare to even just question you must be a "heretic" to be "burned at the stake" as it were.

the "experts" act like the "Taliban" does their radical religion.

now before people like gothmog start ranting let me give four KNOWN examples of this "taliban" scientific mentality (btw hardly the only four)

one..

the scientist who found fossilized evidence of previous life on mars in a meteorite.
this scientist went (IMO) well overboard to prevent/remove contamination, document where it came from , and look at all possibilities before his claim
they did not challenge it came from mars.
but threw every "excuse" from mis identifying to he "contaminated" the sample to say IT WASNT MARTIAN LIFE.
note not say things like "low chance" but IMPOSSIBLE it was.
the scientist would take every challenge/claim and go the extra mile to show the claim was wrong...
the "experts" never even considered he MAY, KEY WORD MAY be right
the sample was destroyed in a "mysterious" fire in the lab.

two....

a scientist claimed that ulcers were not all caused by extra stomach acid but a bacteria.
he was quite literally crucified by the scientific community and all but "discredited" by the "experts"

much later they had to admit YES some has bacteriological causes.

three
a female scientist found LIFE in a cyanide environment.
she followed the "established scientific procedures" and published her work.
the "experts/scientific community leaders" basically destroyed her career (for a time).
yet again were FORCED to admit she was right

both two and three were big articles in popular science or mechanics (sorry i cant remember which one).

ok those examples not enough

how about the WOW signal

It has been "established by the scientific experts" that IT CANNOT BE from an alien civilization.
they cant say what it is
given some examples what it MIGHT BE... none of which to date exactly match their "theories"
they can demand PROVE EXACTLY it is
but they dont use same standards when they give things it might be to claim it isnt.

in short we need to use MORE LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE than blindly listening to the establishment experts

scrounger

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join