It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMBARRASSING WNBA Championship Parade Shows Why Women Don't Get Paid The Same As Men

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm not sure I agree 100%

Ronda Rousey sold out pay per views and women's tennis actually makes good money.
Women's gymnastics always gets better ratings than men's gymnastics.

Unfortunately that doesn't translate to every sport.... Especially basketball.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

originally posted by: MykeNukem
a reply to: everyone

Maybe if they'd help sweep up after the parade they'd get some bonus pay, or made some sammiches or sumthin...

They should do that! I would show up if they offered sum good sammiches

Lol, just joking.

But seriously, if they filled the stadiums or brought in as many PPV views, etc, then, they could demand the same pay.

Look at the UFC...at first no one wanted to watch the women fighters, until, they did watch them and realized that OMG they're just as exciting. Now, they are demanding pay that is just as rewarding as the men. Rousey, Nunes, Shevchenko, etc..they made the difference, they make the millions.

That's just how the world works and some people don't like that.

Including men who can't get the big bucks or success, so, they pretend to be women and beat women up, then pretend they're champions. Yea, world is messed.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

Local Chicago News and Sports segments didn't cover the WNBA team during the season. It was all of a sudden, "Our team won the championship!". Most viewers didn't know what they were talking about. Most citizens in this area (including me) still can't tell you what the team's name is.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Most people think of gymnastics as feminine. It's a sport about grace as much as anything else, so people think about the female form there a lot more readily.

Tennis is all kinds of weird. Women still play it in skirts for example. It's also a bit like equestrian in that it's a more socially "high class" sport.

And as for Rousey ... girl fight! But there have been women in wrestling for a while. This time it's serious, but it's still a girl fight.

edit on 25-10-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I am surprised you didn't bring up swimming.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I heard they were trying to make excuses that this was arranged kind of last minute and a lot of people didn't know about it, plus it was on a weekday so people couldn't attend.

The city should hold another one with a month's notice on a Saturday. That way when nobody shows up there can be no excuses.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:20 AM
link   

You are correct.
Sports is just a less deadly form of the Roman gladiator.
In the end it's the men that are the best

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
I heard they were trying to make excuses that this was arranged kind of last minute and a lot of people didn't know about it, plus it was on a weekday so people couldn't attend.

The city should hold another one with a month's notice on a Saturday. That way when nobody shows up there can be no excuses.

Local Chicago News and Sports segments didn't cover the WNBA team during the season. It was all of a sudden, "Our team won the championship!".

Most viewers didn't know what they were talking about. In fact, most citizens in the Chicago area (including me) still can't tell you what the team's name is.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   

At physicality, sure, but I'd put my competitive will up against that of most any man any day of the week.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I'm still waiting for the first NBA scrub to go trans gender and become the #1 stat leader in every category of the WNBA. It's bound to happen.

I've seen Juwanna Mann

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: CptGreenTea

Not so much confused as outraged.
Same for women's soccer.

The woman's soccer teams were offered the same pay deal as the men for the world Cup, but they turned it down.

Men typically get paid per play with a bonus for winning. Women usually opt for a fixed salary and more benefits.

This was their choice.

Was going to point this out myself, you guys are more inclined to work with a "pay per play" structure, which is plenty fair, but women are MUCH more likely to want a solid salary with bennies. That is also plenty fair.

What's NOT fair is the amount of blame female athletes throw around today toward guys when they realize they aren't quite the talented salary terms negotiator they thought they were when they compare afterward with someone else. Athletes used to be more dignified than that.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

At physicality, sure, but I'd put my competitive will up against that of most any man any day of the week.

The average girl college highs school girl could beat your average man in basketball any day of the week, even in half court play.

There are sports where size/physicality can be offset with talent and skill. Basketball is one such sport. That said, a team of below average 7 footers would beat the WNBA all stars every day of the week. THere is a point where physicality just overwhelms the sport.

ETA: i recall when the Williams sisters were in their prime, they played a retired male ATP player that at one time had been ranked around something like 40 int he world. The claim he was trying to dispel was that the Williams could beat a male ATP star because of how brutally strong they were. As women players, there is nothing like them in the world. You used to never see women play at their age, let alone play as champions.

Anyway, this dude smoked cigarettes between sets. Spent his AM, prior to the matches, playing golf with buddies. Probably had a couple beers. Kicked the everloving hell out of both sisters, one after another.
edit on 10/25/2021 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ellie Sagan
a reply to: AaarghZombies

If it was their choice then why do they complain about it? I didn't know it was a choice they made. Then again, I don't know much about sports in general.

I didn't think the players actually complained, I thought it was the femi-nazis and those other militant radicalized do-nothing alleged feminists and SJWs that were complaining and whining. If the players were actually complaining, a little objectification goes a long way ;-) They could always wear string bikinis and pass close to the front row so the "fans" could drop a few twenties in the strings. Just sayin', seems like a good marketing opportunity for the first team that goes that distance ;-) lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

And you illustrate my point very ably. We have the same will. I saw it, lived it, was it all through my career, but your willingness to crawl over broken glass, through fire on shattered feet dragging 50lb lead weights if you had to just get out there and compete doesn't overcome the difference in physicality. This is just another aspect of the transathlete argument, really.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I worry about what kind of mindset is created by this push to make believe that women and men have an equal physical footing. The effect of Natasha Romanoff beating up 300lb men with ease. Or seeing the ineptitude of that trans weightlifter and their utterly poor performance in the Olympics.

The power difference between women and men is staggering. And it gets worse for even mildly conditioned men. I've not been in a weight room in at least a decade, but am still able to lift heavier objects than the other men around me. Im still able to throw a 120 person through the air. I have no desire to do that kind of thing. But I don't think many women understand how dangerous fighting with men can be. Even our faces...years of evolution buttressed it against being punched with fists that evolved over millenia to deliver damaging punches. What we see happening in fighting sports displays this basic structural difference very well.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
I just want to know if they threw out candy.

No she’s still there.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Agreed.

We practice sparring against everyone, but we don't start full contact until we have control. I went in against a 16-year-old who threw a jump kick. I blocked just fine, but I have the bruise to show for it. No one in my ring is going to move like that.

edit on 25-10-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It doesn’t have to be an nba scrub. Their skill level is that of an ok jr high school boys team. I don’t watch them and I will never watch a woman’s basketball game. Soccer sucks no matter who plays it, especially in the United States.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: iwanttobelieve70

I hope you never have a daughter who wants to play. You sound like you'd be the worst dad ever.

posted on Oct, 25 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's funny you mention that because the one women's sport I do watch, women's tennis, the mental side of the game is where most of the athletes seem to be lacking. A lot of them are just missing that grit a professional athlete needs. I think it's one of the reasons why no one can take control of women's tennis now that Serena is on the downslide.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join