It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Varda Space Industries will send its first space factory to orbit on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

A Start-up company known as Varda Space Industries will be sending a Space Factory into orbit starting in 2023. Varda's ultimate goal is to build in-Space manufacturing facilities to make use of microgravity in the construction/fabrication of goods. Not very much to the article, but I just think this is a positive so I wanted to share.

Varda’s goal is to unlock the benefits of microgravity -- which can only be found for sustained periods in space -- for manufacturing novel materials, like bio-printed organs or specialized semiconductors. The startup’s bet is that the potential market for such materials is high enough to make the effort worth it.

The Torrance, California-based startup has been moving fast since its founding by SpaceX veteran Will Bruey and Founders Fund principal Delian Asparouhov a little less than a year ago. Varda announced a $42 million Series A in July, and plans on following an aggressive launch schedule, with two launches in 2023 and a third in 2024.

Semiconductors in Space....? Not sure what the implications could be for that, however, it sounds pretty exciting. What says ATS? Excited for in-Space manufacturing?

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Its definitely the next step in space exploration, though I do not see what benefits manufacturing bio-organs in space would have? except to make them incredibly expensive.

It's all the other potential applications I think about.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

All kinds of benefits. Experiments conducted on Skylab showed that crystal structures grow differently in microgravity. Metal alloys with different properties may be able to be made, since the tendency of the lighter metal to float on the heavier will be gone. I'm not sure about biologicals, like organs. That's not my field. Personally I'd be curious about 3D printer processes. Laser sintering comes to mind. In microgravity, convection comes to a halt. Theoretically you could laser sinter inside of a sphere of Nitrogen, reducing oxide contaminates. Interesting stuff.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Also since heat flow is related to convection, it should be possible to keep an area of increased heat around a 3D part while it is being printed. This would improve the adhesion between layers resulting in a stronger part.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This is a good start.
Off world manufacturing is required if humans wish to carry on living on Earth.

Ideally all manufacturing and argriculture could be done on the moon in robot run factories,with ships delivering back to earth.
No more toxic industrial pollutants on earth.huge amounts of land reclaimed for nature/other uses.
(Apart from the rocket fumes)

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
This is a good start.
Off world manufacturing is required if humans wish to carry on living on Earth.

Ideally all manufacturing and argriculture could be done on the moon in robot run factories,with ships delivering back to earth.
No more toxic industrial pollutants on earth.huge amounts of land reclaimed for nature/other uses.

Ummm...that's what I envision as well...turn the earth loose and let nature reclaim it...

All of manufacturing should be eventually done in space...and all those prime resources...just floating around...waiting to be mined...

Obviously a costly venture at first...but once it becomes common place...then the tools needed can be printed and made right there at the source...not to mention the fuels and chemicals...

Perhaps when that scenario realizes itself...there won't be any rocket exhaust pollutants...perhaps space elevators...and mag rail launches...or something we haven't thought of yet...

I can hardly wait...and hope that reincarnation or longevity allows me to witness it first person...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Same.

You know, it's funny, every time I read your posts I hear Bill Murray's voice in my head....LOL

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
a reply to: YouSir

Same.

You know, it's funny, every time I read your posts I hear Bill Murray's voice in my head....LOL

Ummm...You Sir...are an...

Excellent example as to why humanity...and humans...even with our glaring character flaws...are unique and supremely amazing beings whose good qualities...outweigh their darker proclivities...by far...

I vote that humanity be allowed to continue on it's journey...wherever that may lead...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

If we could figure out a way to deal with the "Gravity Well Tax", it could be done. Remember the rocket fumes from the Apollo rockets was just water vapor. Of course we could move all manufacturing off the Earth and you would still have the Global Warming nuts (yes, they are nuts) still whining.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: putnam6

All kinds of benefits. Experiments conducted on Skylab showed that crystal structures grow differently in microgravity. Metal alloys with different properties may be able to be made, since the tendency of the lighter metal to float on the heavier will be gone. I'm not sure about biologicals, like organs. That's not my field. Personally I'd be curious about 3D printer processes. Laser sintering comes to mind. In microgravity, convection comes to a halt. Theoretically you could laser sinter inside of a sphere of Nitrogen, reducing oxide contaminates. Interesting stuff.

It's fascinating as hell honestly, I believe the key to a moon base and ultimately a Mars base will be 3D printing. It gives them the capability to manufacturer any replacement parts as needed. Just read about laser sintering its applications seems endless.

posted on Oct, 13 2021 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Printing an organ in zero or close to zero gravity should allow for consistent cell or muscle growth without the organ collapsing under it's own weight (3D printing). It would be interesting to see.

posted on Oct, 14 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

It's fascinating as hell honestly, I believe the key to a moon base and ultimately a Mars base will be 3D printing. It gives them the capability to manufacturer any replacement parts as needed. Just read about laser sintering its applications seems endless.

About the only thing I see the Moon being good for is as a source of raw materials.

There is a series of books by John Ringo. The first is "Live Free or Die". It's a good science fiction series. Even if you are not into science fiction, it is a good story about shoe stringing space manufacturing. There's some BS about the alien technology, but, when it comes to the manufacturing part, the science is pretty accurate. They are an interesting read. Normally I'd link to Amazon for these, but, you would get a better deal through the Baen site.

DISCLAIMER: I've met John. I'm a big fan. That's the extent of my involvement. What we have been discussing here fits into his books.

posted on Apr, 30 2022 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Hello ATS,

A Start-up company known as Varda Space Industries will be sending a Space Factory into orbit starting in 2023. Varda's ultimate goal is to build in-Space manufacturing facilities to make use of microgravity in the construction/fabrication of goods. Not very much to the article, but I just think this is a positive so I wanted to share.

Varda’s goal is to unlock the benefits of microgravity -- which can only be found for sustained periods in space -- for manufacturing novel materials, like bio-printed organs or specialized semiconductors. The startup’s bet is that the potential market for such materials is high enough to make the effort worth it.

The Torrance, California-based startup has been moving fast since its founding by SpaceX veteran Will Bruey and Founders Fund principal Delian Asparouhov a little less than a year ago. Varda announced a $42 million Series A in July, and plans on following an aggressive launch schedule, with two launches in 2023 and a third in 2024.

Semiconductors in Space....? Not sure what the implications could be for that, however, it sounds pretty exciting. What says ATS? Excited for in-Space manufacturing?

www.yahoo.com...

The implications are great if you are a technology scientist creating highly sensitive instruments I am sure the microgravity can be used to benefit something scientific that is difficult to do on the surface. They must already have a list of things they want to try out up there. I wouldnt see this as a viable method for common materials and common builds, as the price to launch into orbit is something like $10,000 a kilogram.

new topics

top topics

join