It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobs that used to be Dream Jobs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
a reply to: JAGStorm

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd say politics is a very lucrative field to get into and has been for many decades now.

Think about it. Start local for a few years when you're young, then become a Congress stooge making $175k yearly while working a fraction of the year. Throw in all the bribes, dirty money, and "special interest lobbying" and you're at a 7 figure income with stellar health benefits and a pension simply for wearing a suit and lying every day. Kinda like a lawyer with who only works about 120 days a year.

Lucrative, yes. Root word being "lucre", as in "filthy lucre". Lucrative but not respected; not by anybody with a brain and a sense of decency.

I think most of those types live in their own secluded circle and never hardly deal with the real-world types who pay their salaries. I suspect a lot of them imagine themselves as heroes to the working class and would be surprised at how little they're actually respected.

I always wanted to be a writer. stay home and be creative, no time clock. never happened. maybe if I can make it to retirement.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Pfffft, I work at the golf course baby! Fre golf, free carts....10% over cost on stuff. Life is GOOD!

Course...it dont pay much....but the bennies!

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

YEEEES!

Thats what Ima talkin bout.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
My favorite job I had...I had over forty different jobs in my lifetime because I wanted to learn new things....was working pumping gas at the Holiday Gas Station in Hancock MI back in the seventies. I worked my butt off washing windows, pumping gas, and checking fluids on the cars. I kept super busy but felt like I was doing a job necessary for the people in the area.

I even washed their license plates if they were dirty, a cop asked me to do that so I did.

I met lots of girls on the job and I was party central, I was told where the summer outdoor parties were and who not to send to which parties. I controlled where the girls went to parties mostly in the area...everyone was nice to me.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Bank tellers, Cable Guys, Photographers, and just about any other general labor job being supplemented by robotics to name a few.

I forgot about Watchmakers.
edit on 9-10-2021 by Proto88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I was lucky to be a Firefighter and go through the ranks of EMT then EMT Intermediate, Paramedic then Nurse.

E.R.'s, Ambulance, Flight Medic, ARFF 3 FF3 working for a major airport in Pittsburgh, and Nurse to FlightNures.

I was blessed for all the amazing opportunities I've had since before graduating highschool. It was all I've ever wanted to be and more.

Even in these times, the turn over rate here is slow and opportunities are still good. But that's not always the case.

To be honest, I'm actually considering going back to the work field. But these are tough to get. But heres my next interest as an easy fix for boredom.
jobs.aa.com...

edit on 9-10-2021 by Bigburgh because: Internet sleuths claim Brian Laundrie is hiding under flower bed at parents’ home By Emily Crane October 8, 2021 | 6:34pm

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Best job I ever worked was the warehouse at Circuit City bing box elections store. Best time was the weekend when only the sales managers where in charge and never came into the warehouse.

We would put vodka into a children's punch drink bottles and drink all day in-between taking TVs, Frigids, ACs to peoples cars. Got really strong doing all the lifting and made some good tips.

Worst job I've ever had is the one I'm doing now; working engineering management. Where my success and failures hinge on the competence and work ethic of those below me and the unrealistic whims of the finance and sales side of the house.
edit on 9-10-2021 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Proto88
Bank tellers, Cable Guys, Photographers, and just about any other general labor job being supplemented by robotics to name a few.

If you are adding jobs that have become, or are becoming obsolete, then I guess you can add telephone operators.

One of my first jobs was as a key punch operator. I went on to key punch verifier, than became a computer collator. At this point I decided to go to college, and ended up in university taking Communications as a major, and Nursing as a minor. Nursing won out.

All dead or dying jobs, though I would not classify any of them as dream jobs.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut

Since I was a boy there was only one thing I wanted to be.
You can probably guess……
Am I one of the lucky ones?
Nice OP.
Gets one thinking…………😎

I'm guessing ... You wanted to be a pirate?

Amirite?

I'd look far to healthy being a Somalian pirate.

Can I stay near San Juan Puerto Rico? They have more Rum and Pitorro.🙄

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I was electrician 30 years....it absolutely sucked. Now not so much...I don't work. I wanted to be President when I grew up....now I've gotten old and I forget, and I say the wrong things I also tell idiotic stories for absolutely no reason. Not to mention my 2nd wife want let me out of her site. I piss people off for zero reason and I have a love affaire with the Chinese.....I have a son that's a sh%t and I don't know when to shut my mouth.....And now I have ALL the criteria to be Potus.
edit on Octoberpm31b202121527 by Fatboy527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: PiratesCut

Since I was a boy there was only one thing I wanted to be.
You can probably guess……
Am I one of the lucky ones?
Nice OP.
Gets one thinking…………😎

I'm guessing ... You wanted to be a pirate?

Amirite?

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fatboy527
I was electrician 30 years....it absolutely sucked. Now not so much...I don't work. I wanted to be President when I grew up....now I've gotten old and I forget, and I say the wrong things I also tell idiotic stories for absolutely no reason. Not to mention my 2nd wife want let me out of her site. I piss people off for zero reason and I have a love affaire with the Chinese.....I have a son that's a sh%t and I don't know when to shut my mouth.....And now I have ALL the criteria to be Potus.

How could I have missed POTUS!!
That is a great one. I remember everyone thought that was the ultimate! Not so much anymore!

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Fatboy527

It is a bummer. I never even thought about being President. I didn't think I would ever be able to meet the criteria for the job, or be able to meet the moral standards.

If I had only known, I might have at least dreamed about it.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

I remember when piracy meant home taping and it killed live music!

My new dream job is being Spiderman.

Not because I have special powers.....I'm just finding it hard to get out of the bath by myself!

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
a reply to: Bigburgh

I remember when piracy meant home taping and it killed live music!

My new dream job is being Spiderman.

Not because I have special powers.....I'm just finding it hard to get out of the bath by myself!

Napster😆😆😆😆
I gave up on that...
It took hours to load, so I would just download over night. It was the 90's, and there was a Music Store like Warehouse videos and records, Tower Records, Best Buy, Circuit City (Archaic but ubiquitous)

Superfluous comes to mind.
edit on 9-10-2021 by Bigburgh because: 8 TRACKS RULE!!!

edit on 9-10-2021 by Bigburgh because: Bring back LEEEEEEEEEERRRRRROOOOYYYYYYYYYYY JENKINS

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

IT field. Decades ago, it was practically elite. Now it is a race to the bottom.

Your "teachers" comment could be academia in general. Universities seem worse than useless anymore.

Cheers

There's still good money to be made in IT for very little actual physical work (if you've ever actually had a job that requires hard graft, that is) I know from experience of working both sides.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

There's still good money to be made in IT for very little actual physical work (if you've ever actually had a job that requires hard graft, that is) I know from experience of working both sides.

I’ve worked both sides and I honestly believe sometimes mentally draining work is worse than physically draining.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I’ve worked both sides and I honestly believe sometimes mentally draining work is worse than physically draining.

Without a doubt.

Physical labor can sometimes even help with sleep. Often, mentally draining work prevents sleep.

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Not really a job but a means of buying penny bubble gum at the time. During the summer I'd go along the roadsides and find Shasta, RC, Pepsi, Rootbeer and Cola bottles. Take them to the gas station and collect 2 cents each. Go to Walgreens and buy buy jawbreakers for a penny, candy bars and Boston Bake Beans for 10 cents.

Really haven't earned much more then that being self-employed since the age of 27.

For me, self-employed was the best way to go. Somehow though, I ended up overseas at the age of 40. Life sure if full of twists.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join