It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Connecticut has undersea collision

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well it points to the sub being fairly deep and likely in the shadow zone below the line like i propounded. If time goes on and heads dont roll then its indicative the sub did not likely hit a submerged seamount but something else. If heads do roll then i think penrocs right and somebody was "asleep at the wheel" and F'd up. But to me, for now, a submerged seamount is an easy cover up. Im open to it being the case though. As for submerged cargo container. I still say that very unlikely, borderline preposterous. Archimedes principle and all that.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

“Sinking” and being carried by under underwater currents can happen at various speeds.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Not according to most of the experts at the companies that build, recover and or ship cargo containers. They either float or they sink very rapidly once succumbing to the sea.

Besides the usn has written off theories of submerged cargo containers. They said it hit a seamount. If heads roll then thats probably the case. The south china sea has lots of volcanic activity and rapid seamount growth. I could see it being possible it hit one that was not charted. If heads roll in the near future then that was probably the case, or at least most likely.

If, however, heads dont roll then crew wasn't to blame for negligence and they hit "something".

I could see them not admitting to hitting a submerged cargo container as that would be embarrassing. Maybe it sounded like a biologic and they figured like nearly all biologics it would move out of their way, and in this case didnt cause hulking chunks of metal arent exactly sentient.

But, given its the south china sea, and China is up to some bullshyte there, we are probably deploying all sorts of stuff. Stuff that doesnt always perform as expected, are extremely hard to detect even by us and thats what we could have run into. If no heads roll, to me, its tacit indication more is afoot.

If the sub was deep then its pretty (read extremely unlikely) it hit a falling cargo container. Theyre either floating or sinking fast.

I personally dont think the sub was running above the thermocline. Its a bad place to be detection wise. Just below it in the umbra of sound vectors is where id be if i was tracking and catelogue chinese shady vessels. And nearly all the vessels that are Chinese in the south pacific are shady "fishing boat" or otherwise.

Its also where id be if i was launching a sizable drone, rendezvous with one or was operating system along side one briefly before letting it do its thing. AI and bad software updates could be the problem in the end.

I could see the usn blaming a seamount to cover for more covert activity gone oopsie in the south pacific. An oopsie that was nobodies fault.

edit on 2-11-2021 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The Navy is stating that it was an uncharted seamount.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
The Navy is stating that it was an uncharted seamount.

Hence my post Here

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

You mean almost as hard to believe as running into an uncharted sea mount at high speed because you didn't update your charts?
edit on 11/2/2021 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I didn’t post it didn’t run aground.

Just pointed out the obvious, there is no uniform rate of sinking for a container. It’s probably as varied as the contents they contain. And sea currents do move things about.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

that's why someone made a boo boo

i don't know to much about subs anti collision systems but i would be they would at least pop a message up somewhere

side question, with adaptive optics could you use a laser or LIDAR underwater?

seems like if your job is keeping tabs on the areas around the ring of fire, you would ask for regular updates.

i guess it could have been an explosive release that caused a small new island to start.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   
uncharted seamount
yeah, yeah, uncharted seamount.
we'll go with that.

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add content

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   
To be fair sea mounts dont always make noise. I wont go into specifics of how subs "see" with sonar. But there are conditions that can be present to make it so they dont see everything around them and are navigating via dead reckoning. Subs to be silent wont be using lidar type of navigation or emit anything if they dont have to. Plus even with lidar if they saw something they cant just stop on a dime or in time. Turn away from it maybe. I think of all the possibilities a submerged container is dead last. A sea mount is plausible. If it was from an uncharted map then nobodys really at fault if ots because they didnt update their map then maybe heads will roll. Or its a cover for running into something else. It must have been a glancing blow or they werent going too fast if it was from a seamount collision. Just my opinion.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   

You

To be fair sea mounts dont always make noise. I wont go into specifics of how subs "see" with sonar. But there are conditions that can be present to

Actual please do…

Why Multi-Billion Dollar Nuclear Submarines Still Run Into Things Underwater
A veteran submariner explains the challenges crews face navigating complex undersea environments that they can't even see.

BY
TYLER ROGOWAY
OCTOBER 11, 2021

www.thedrive.com...

The risk of submarine collision in the South China Sea is more likely than in other areas of the world because it’s a very busy area for vessels of all types, including submarines. The increased activity makes passive sonar less effective. Submarines can, and will, hide in noisy areas to mask their passive broadband signature with background noise. The means two submarines may pass very close to each other, and neither will hear the other, if background noise is loud enough to mask both submarines.

The topography of the South China Sea is very difficult to navigate because of its high tectonic activity. The bottom is in a constant state of change. Some areas of the South China Sea are very deep, with sudden changes in depth to very shallow, near vertical-like structures that can rise to the surface.

You

But there are conditions that can be present to make it so they dont see everything around

Subs don’t see. Sonar personnel read displayed sonar information from hydrophones and provide information to control.

How Submarine Sonarmen Tirelessly Hunt For Enemies They Can't Even See

www.thedrive.com...

The sonar array feeds data into signal conditioners like a preamplifier and equalizer. This signal 'cleaning' is carefully done by the processor so as not to strip any contact information from the raw signal. The data passes into the beamformer, where it is 'sorted' in the proper direction. Now the sonar signal is ready for display on the operator's console.

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I was using "see" initially in quotation marks to indicate i was using it in a general layman's sense of the term. Not literally referring to utilizing electromagnetic radiation. I thought that was kinda evident....

** Shakes head at your post. **

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 08:46 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 2 2021 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

originally posted by: penroc3

were you there?

i spent 2 weeks on the pile so i saw the liquid iron with my own lying eyes

???????????