It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple things.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

originally posted by: visitedbythem
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I got this one at Bucherer while in Switzerland in 1973. Its silver. The second hand came off

It has a mechanical alarm

Gorgeous.

Definitely get it fixed and let it just appreciate in value. The quality level is off the hook I bet.

Is it offside to ask what you paid? Only asked to highlight how good of an investment quality watches are.

I wonder how may people are capable of building a mechanical pocket watch from scratch nowadays? Not many, I'm sure.

It may have been over 100 bucks almost 50 years ago. Its solid silver. Im glad you like it

edit on 7-10-2021 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: MykeNukem

You should look into the interior of the Pagani hyper car, it’s interior dash is inspired by crafted old school high end watches. It truly is a beautiful car.

I will, thanks for the suggestion. Love stuff like that.

I like the handcrafted dashboards on the old Jaguars and the hand sewed steering wheels too.

Quality and craftmanship is something to appreciate wherever we find it (at least I do).

ETA: Just took a look at the Pagani Imola, unbelievable quality, I didn't even check the price. I was surprised I was even able to visit their website with my income.

It’s a working testament to my life long belief that science and art are married and can always be one in the same. That’s why I love things like welding, machining, and carpentry. I dabble a little bit with crayola crayons and macaroni paintings sometimes too nothing to fancy like blow job art like DBCowboys hero Huntress. That pagani has it all and not to mention it’s mechanics and technology holy #.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 01:16 AM
link   

In case your curious of this car FCD look up Pagani Huyara interior before looking at the rest of the car, you’ll literally want to ditch your wife because at that moment when you see the price tag on the car you will understand in the long run the car would’ve been cheaper
jk
edit on 7-10-2021 by Brotherman because: Because I’m illiterate and to sober for this #

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I love time pieces as well. I have a grandfather clock that was my grandmothers. Best part of my day is making the small adjustment to make up for it running slightly slow.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 01:58 AM
link   

You should look into the interior of the Pagani hyper car, it’s interior dash is inspired by crafted old school high end watches. It truly is a beautiful car.

I will, thanks for the suggestion. Love stuff like that.

I like the handcrafted dashboards on the old Jaguars and the hand sewed steering wheels too.

Quality and craftmanship is something to appreciate wherever we find it (at least I do).

ETA: Just took a look at the Pagani Imola, unbelievable quality, I didn't even check the price. I was surprised I was even able to visit their website with my income.

It’s a working testament to my life long belief that science and art are married and can always be one in the same. That’s why I love things like welding, machining, and carpentry. I dabble a little bit with crayola crayons and macaroni paintings sometimes too nothing to fancy like blow job art like DBCowboys hero Huntress. That pagani has it all and not to mention it’s mechanics and technology holy #.

Same.

I grew up determined NOT to be a Mason (Of the brick, block, stone, blast furnace, coke oven or pizza oven variety) like my great-grandfather, grandfather, father, and 2 older brothers were. I always like tech and went to college and worked IT for quite a few years in the "golden age" before and a few years after Y2K.

After the call centers came to our city and the bottom dropped out of my company, I begrudgingly joined the Union and started becoming a Journeyman. Turns out, I liked it. I love craftmanship and pay attention to detail and functionality in everything I build (when I do my own contracting without a boss more interested in money than quality).

I'm older now, so I can pick and choose my jobs, and usually just sub contract as my own boss, I charge a bit more, but your expectations will be met or exceeded.

Handcrafted quality and precision is a work of art no matter the genre, a testament to what a human is capable of.

Oh I looked at the other Pagani, not the Huyara, I'll have a look at that too, that steam bent wood and the hand-stitched seats are off the hook.

I prefer the old stuff, but I can appreciate any work of craftmanship. It sets itself apart.

ETA: Oh just wanted to mention that the Pagani goes what? 0-60mph in about 2.9 secs (just guessing), I'd probably crash it before it topped out lmao. All my vehicles have a trailer hitch. I could haul wood like a MFer with that, lmao.
edit on 10/7/2021 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I got this one at Bucherer while in Switzerland in 1973. Its silver. The second hand came off

It has a mechanical alarm

Gorgeous.

Definitely get it fixed and let it just appreciate in value. The quality level is off the hook I bet.

Is it offside to ask what you paid? Only asked to highlight how good of an investment quality watches are.

I wonder how may people are capable of building a mechanical pocket watch from scratch nowadays? Not many, I'm sure.

It may have been over 100 bucks almost 50 years ago. Its solid silver. Im glad you like it

Thanks for the back pic.

That scribing is off the hook and the gears always amaze me.

That's a keeper for sure.

LOL, it will cost more than you payed to have it fixed, but so worth it (if you can find anyone to fix it properly) without sending it off, which would make me nervous.

edit on 10/7/2021 by MykeNukem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 02:12 AM
link   

The funny thing about the car I mentioned and why it’s on topic is because you can drive a time machine in a sense.

I’ll come back here in a few minutes and make a new post or maybe a separate thread about art and science married. I’ll post some of the work I’ve been doing leisurely creating a new light fixture only I’m hand sculpting it out of steel, it is for my art desk and it’s going to transform my boring ancient style desk into an art desk that will rust and patina and age with me.

Like I said I don’t do blow pen art but I do dabble in crayons and mundane bullsh#t (not sure why we can’t use the word here considering we used to have videos called next level bullsh#t, but ok)

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Right on, looking forward to checking it out.

I just got off night shift, so I'll hafta see it in the morning.

Hope FCD forgives the slight course change, but, with quality watches, art is part of the topic to a certain extent.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 02:57 AM
link   

just posted the thread even called you out

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I’m not even into owing watches. I have a few cheap ones and even a cheap pocket watch with a glass back so you can see is movement.

However, somehow several months back I stumbled upon a timepiece restoration video on YouTube and ever since then I have consumed and inordinate amount of such content. I don’t know what it is that has drawn me so forcefully to this niche video sub-sub-genre. It’s completely enthralling. Such tiny gears and screws. Such delicate work. My favourite thing is really old watch restorations, like from the mid/early 1800’s. It boggles my mind that they were able to produce such small movements back then… most people were p#ssing in pots and wearing the same set of clothes everyday and yet, they had this delicate little mechanical wonder in their pockets…

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: KleenX
I’m not even into owing watches. I have a few cheap ones and even a cheap pocket watch with a glass back so you can see is movement.

However, somehow several months back I stumbled upon a timepiece restoration video on YouTube and ever since then I have consumed and inordinate amount of such content. I don’t know what it is that has drawn me so forcefully to this niche video sub-sub-genre. It’s completely enthralling. Such tiny gears and screws. Such delicate work. My favourite thing is really old watch restorations, like from the mid/early 1800’s. It boggles my mind that they were able to produce such small movements back then… most people were p#ssing in pots and wearing the same set of clothes everyday and yet, they had this delicate little mechanical wonder in their pockets…

Its funny what you say, its amazing because of what you said and your name here is kleen-x. Thats priceless i wish i could star this moar

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I'm a bit of a watch buff, I have mostly modern timepieces but I have a couple antique pocket watches as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 06:45 AM
link   

almost 5pm here tonight.

its always 5 o'clock some where.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I designed a couple of concept watches, i doubt any went into production.
The only watch I ever owned was a tissot T-touch.
it was an amazing fusion between mechanics and electronics...

Weather forecast, compass, altimeter... And a couple more features...

My teacher used to joke about the uselessness of the wach due to the lack of a coffee feature. I think he was jealous...

Check out chromachron and it's philosophy, it's such a peaceful time keeper.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: KleenX

Yes, the craftsmanship which goes into a quality timepiece is truly amazing. Much of it is done by hand on mechanical watches. Robotics can't really work that well at such tiny tolerances. People look at a modern printed circuit board in wonder, and they probably don't even think that the internals of a mechanical watch are an order of magnitude or more smaller than that.

I tend to favor analog watches. I have one digital for a beater watch, but all the rest are analog mechanical watches. I don't have a whole lot of watches, not like some of the true collectors do. Probably only have a dozen or so with a few really nice ones thrown in.

I made the mistake of joining a watch forum once. I think I was a member for about 3 days. OMG, talk about an arrogant bunch of snobs! I joined because I hoped to learn more about my budding hobby. After about 2 days I was ready to just take all my watches out to the driveway and run over them several times with my truck!

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 12:35 PM
link   

The funny thing about the car I mentioned and why it’s on topic is because you can drive a time machine in a sense.

I hear similar things a lot, but it's not really true.

Yes, you can go out and buy some casio watch which synchs up with an atomic clock and it's driven by solar, so you never have to wind it, or touch it. And those are okay if that's what you're looking for, but with a regular mechanical watch you have to check it for accuracy and sometimes even wind them...which, in an abstract way, is kind of like 'driving' them. It's part of the fun and beauty of a quality time piece.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 12:43 PM
link   
For those requesting a picture of the watch...here you go.

edit on 10/7/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Did you look at the car?

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Did you look at the car?

All I can say is...WOW!

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 03:15 PM
link