It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple things.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't buy much, but I do like watches. I kind of collect them. I don't know why I want to know what time it is, but I like watches.

I bought a nice Seiko watch today, well, yesterday, and it was delivered today. It's kind of a dressy watch. I have enough watches, but I like them.

To me, the time is important. Even if it's just watching a magical clock tick.

Every minute which passes in our lives is a minute we will never get back. It's important to me to experience every moment in time.

Sure, you can get the time from your phone, always, but can you get the time from a wonderful mechanical timepiece? I love clocks and watches.

it's almost 5pm here tonight. I guess I should go feed the cows.

That is all.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I used to buy vintage and modded seiko dive watches on ebay. I also have a luminox giant sea turtle, and a few other assorted waterproof watches. I feel naked without one on.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I wear a Seiko watch to work, had it a good few years now and never let me down. Great value for money and not too expensive so can wear everyday.

I like the Omega De Ville watches as well but don't know if i'm willing to pay upward of £4000 for the pleasure of wearing it once or twice a year. Although they do hold value very well.

This was the one i liked:

edit on 6/10/21 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Pic?

I like looking at vintage timepieces, and really like pocket watches, but I am extremely picky in what I like. Minimalist is best.

I finally found one I really, and even though not too expensive I get a lot of looks and compliments on this Fossil.

My dad, who never wears watches, just got a Teg Heuer, which I also like, since it's fairly minimalist, even if a GSM.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I have an appreciation for watches especially antique ones. But sadly I can't wear them. I can't stand the feeling of any jewellery or bands on my wrists or hands. So no bracelets either or rings on my fingers. It's on odd thing to me but I've always had it .

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

I get this in the summer on hot days. Once the watch starts sticking to me i freak out and it gets whipped off.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

I get this in the summer on hot days. Once the watch starts sticking to me i freak out and it gets whipped off.

It's all the time for me. ( No watch pun intended ).
It feels like a restraint.
Must be some past life mumbo jumbo going on there.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Leading a simple and maybe carefree lifestyle with money in hand seems to be the best of the best way to get through life these days. Having a balance diet comes into play is a must. Don't really have to eat much if healthy if you think about it.
Some daily walking, jogging or even jumping the rope is great also.

Yes, keeping it simple is best with less baggage to carry around with in life.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 07:09 PM
link   

When i was a young kid i used to have nightmares about being crushed by a mountain. My mum said i used to be totally gone when i had these nightmares and turn into a totally different person. I remember the dreams but not being awake or talking to her afterward.

Always wondered if it could be some past life residual memory type thing, died in a mining accident in a past life because even now i can remember those dreams and can't stand enclosed spaces. I remember in kill bill when she gets buried alive in the coffin i had a full blown anxiety attack at the cinema.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I got this one at Bucherer while in Switzerland in 1973. Its silver. The second hand came off

It has a mechanical alarm
edit on 6-10-2021 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

I also have a love of old watches. I usually wear a cheap smart watch, unless I have Lodge or meetings or the such.

I stop at garage and estate sales to look specifically for watches. I hope to be the guy to find a genuine diamond jeweled (spelling?) gold Rolex for a dollar.

*sigh*
A man can dream still, right?

I do often wonder why I love them so much.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 08:04 PM
link   

My good friend has a crazy collection of watches from all over the world.

Some are really old and my favorite is his solid gold pocket watch made in San Francisco during the gold rush.

I myself have a nice collection of ship clocks, barometers and old brass explosion proof deck lights that go back to WW1.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I wear a Bulova Marine star.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   

You're going to make watches sound sexy and magical and then not share your private collection? You clock tease.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

I need to ask, what do you wear differently at lodge meetings? On your wrist I mean, don’t care about the special pants or goat skulls etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I'm also a watch lover.

The Ole Man bought me a calculator watch in the early 80's when they were all the rage (Classic Casio).

I was hooked instantly, though now I prefer analog or a combination of analog digital.

My current favorite watch is my work cheapy, it's a Casio with solar panel face and analog hands.

Favorite dress watch? Mine is a gold opal faced Wittenhaur that my brother gave me, he's into classy timepieces similar to what it sounds like you like.

I'm more a functional or cool feature guy.

Love watches, cheap or expensive, I've found very good watches at both ends of the spectrum.

Notice it's rare for the younger people to wear watches now? Forget about 24H time, my son looked at me like I was talking Martian.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

You clock tease.

LMFAO. Nice.

I think he's Honey Dickin us...

There's a couple hundred good dirty jokes in what you did there.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

I got this one at Bucherer while in Switzerland in 1973. Its silver. The second hand came off

It has a mechanical alarm

Gorgeous.

Definitely get it fixed and let it just appreciate in value. The quality level is off the hook I bet.

Is it offside to ask what you paid? Only asked to highlight how good of an investment quality watches are.

I wonder how may people are capable of building a mechanical pocket watch from scratch nowadays? Not many, I'm sure.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

You should look into the interior of the Pagani hyper car, it’s interior dash is inspired by crafted old school high end watches. It truly is a beautiful car.

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: MykeNukem

You should look into the interior of the Pagani hyper car, it’s interior dash is inspired by crafted old school high end watches. It truly is a beautiful car.

I will, thanks for the suggestion. Love stuff like that.

I like the handcrafted dashboards on the old Jaguars and the hand sewed steering wheels too.

Quality and craftmanship is something to appreciate wherever we find it (at least I do).

ETA: Just took a look at the Pagani Imola, unbelievable quality, I didn't even check the price. I was surprised I was even able to visit their website with my income.
edit on 10/7/2021 by MykeNukem because: eta

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join