It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unwritten Board Posting and OPing rules?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Hey all,

Sitting here after a double shift having a vodka and pink lemonade and this random thought came to me.

Do we here at ATS have unwritten rules about giving stars and flags, or whether we give them?

I give a star and flag to the OP if I greasify it with my posts. So, even if I dislike you, you get a star and flag, if I respond to your OP or a poster in your OP.

Are there unwritten rules here?

I'm curious if the ATS Veterans (you know who) have any?

Stay safe guys and gals.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

I give a star to a well written OP, despite my personal beliefs on the post. I give a flag if I want to follow the thread to see what others say about it if the topic interests me.

I will not star something that is a garbage OP, no matter what my feelings on the topic. Obviously I won't flag it.

As for responses on the OP, I will star those that align with my personal beliefs and those that are a good rebuttal.

In the Writer's section, I will star and flag something I think is well written, but will just star something in the non-writer's OP even if I think that it is poop.

Writing is hard so if you at least try you at least get a star from me.

I'm probably not the ATS Veteran you were talking to, but that's how I play it.

edit on 000000010America/Chicago10amWed, 06 Oct 2021 01:12:23 -050012 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I will give a star to mostly anyone that participates in my thread... even wrote a thread about it in my Sig at the bottom

Flags go to good discussion threads... stars for posts i enjoy, agree with... or made me laugh

S&F for both a good discussion topic and a good op

Thats how i work

And always a smile or a beer at the end....or both

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I give a star to a well written OP, despite my personal beliefs on the post. I give a flag if I want to follow the thread to see what others say about it if the topic interests me.

I will not star something that is a garbage OP, no matter what my feelings on the topic. Obviously I won't flag it.

In the Writer's section, I will star and flag something I think is well written, but will just star something in the non-writer's OP even if I think that it is poop.

Writing is hard so if you at least try you at least get a star from me.

I'm probably not the ATS Veteran you were talking to, but that's how I play it.

Erm, YOU were definitely one of the Vets I was hoping to respond.

Also, your response doesn't surprise me, you're no BS and just get it out there.

That's why I like most of your posts, but not all (rarely), you're straight to the point, which I respect. My wife likes your posts and she doesn't even DO ATS, lmao.

There are even a few here that I dislike, but still respect because they are sincere (no names).

Thanks for the response and this newbie is awestruck you didn't think I didn't want to hear from you.

You know, what I know, that YOU know, hummana, hummana, hummana....

ETA: BTW you BETTER have gave me a SnF for MY first story attempt at the last writer's challenge......F'N better have.....lmao.

edit on 10/6/2021 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I turn even flags odd and star when they align......so to speak.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

I will give a star to mostly anyone that participates in my thread... even wrote a thread about it in my Sig at the bottom

Flags go to good discussion threads... stars for posts i enjoy, agree with... or made me laugh

S&F for both a good discussion topic and a good op

Thats how i work

And always a smile or a beer at the end....or both

Nice.

I like your system.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Interesting.

Just for kicks or superstitious?

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:26 AM
link   

If you liked all my posts you would be a sycophant.

We are all different and all have our own opinions based on our life experiences.

We would learn absolutely nothing in life if we all agree with each other.

I admire here on ATS the people I personally disagree with, simply because they make me think and grow as a person.

You cannot sharpen a knife without a stone, after all...

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

If you liked all my posts you would be a sycophant.

We are all different and all have our own opinions based on our life experiences.

We would learn absolutely nothing in life if we all agree with each other.

I admire here on ATS the people I personally disagree with, simply because they make me think and grow as a person.

You cannot sharpen a knife without a stone, after all...

Indeed.

Iron, sharpeneth, iron.

Sometimes there are sparks in the process.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Interesting.

Yes

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Interesting.

Yes

THIS level of clarity can be found NOWHERE on earth..

Yes, Kick TF out of the superstitious, right?

Too late, gone to KTF out o everyone....

I AM entitled after all.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Usually F & S the the op. For bravery to even start a thread, and await the incoming brutality.

And Superstitiously will not S&F the 13th star or Flag. So if your thread is at 12 flags and stars... I don't press the star and flag. Sometimes I wait for a long time before someone else clicks the 13th star and flag, then I can finally star and flag. (Phewwwwwwwwwww) so much repeating S&F😐

Dome! 😆😆😆

Edit: Underwear, I like underwear. So I also give stars and flags to underwear threads that are epic!
🙄
edit on 6-10-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 02:32 AM
link   

I give a star and flag to the OP if I greasify it with my posts. So, even if I dislike you, you get a star and flag, if I respond to your OP or a poster in your OP.

If I even visit , most timesz.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

STAR!⭐⭐⭐⭐

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

That right there, is why we get our fat asses off the chesterfield and scream at people.

ATS OG right here, Goth, you, I mean. Legend is what you are.

In your own mind? Wife tells me I'm the same ffs.

edit on 10/6/2021 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Do we here at ATS have unwritten rules about giving stars and flags, or whether we give them?

Yes.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Yes.

I asked for that, lmao.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I flag just about any post with 13 flags to get it to 14 flags. (superstition) We've got enough bad ju-ju going on in the World right now, why take a chance on more.

Otherwise I generally flag any post I respond to in a meaningful way. If a post is pure hooey, and that's what my response said, then I don't flag or star it.

I will usually flag and star new member introduction threads to get them started.

I don't really worry about stars too much because I guess there was some software switch in 2008 (pre-FCD) which caused some existing members to just get millions of stars for no reason, so stars don't really mean much. Flags are what count.

Aside from the 13 flag thing, I guess my system is generally merit based.

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 04:52 AM
link   

I give a star and flag to the OP if I greasify it with my posts.

"Greasify"???

What is "greasify"???

Is that like when you didn't wipe enough??

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I give credit where credit is due, whether I agree with the OP or not, though I'm admittedly more involved with indoviduals, thread topics and posts I agree with. I think it is important to explore and be exposed to topics which I do not agree with. The dangers of being in an echo chamber being that receiving too much confirmation bias is unhealthy.

If someone I disagree with is respectful and articulate in their beliefs, I do my best to consider and engage their posts with respect and clearly written posts. If someone is gaslighting, being hyperbolic, or employing logical fallacies, I ignore them, whether I agree with them or not. Just don't have time or patience for what I consider to be childish behavior. There are a few posters on ATS who are habitual gaslighters, filling their posts in logical fallacies. I don't have time with them.

Not gonna lie, I admire and look up to quite a few ATS members, and as a long time lurker those members are a major reason why I chose to finally make an account and get involved. Interacting with some of the posters here is like having an opportunity to talk with my heros. I'm a simple man who finds other individuals who condone themselves with self-respect and speak their minds articulately to be heroic, whether or not I agree with them on all fronts. Our differences are what make us unique and add spice to life. I'm not a fan boy so I don't lurk their threads waiting to s&f but I do particularly enjoy participating and engaging with those people.

Good thread, thanks nukem!

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Greasify is when you feel favorably about another forum member and lubricate their concepts with supporting concepts of your own. It keeps the gears turning smoothly.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join