It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge asteroid almost hit earth NASA didn’t detect it until a day later

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This is my first thread ever so here we go...

giant asteroid almost hit earth on September 16, but because it came from the direction of the sun, scientists missed it

If you heard a whooshing noise recently, you weren’t imagining it—there was indeed a gigantic asteroid that almost hit earth this month. And NASA didn’t see it coming.

The asteroid, named 2021 SG, has a diameter of around 42 to 94 m, with a diameter or around 68 m, which makes it around half the size of the great pyramids.

www.esquireme.com...

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

edit on 5/10/2021 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Faeded

This has happened many times in the past. They usually figure out the near misses within a week or so of passing. In the astronomical scale of things, they are tiny and hard to see in images when you don’t know where to look.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This one was not so small..it came from the direction of the sun..thus they missed ita reply to: beyondknowledge

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:31 PM
link   

It was not that big and for it to come from the direction of the Sun, it had to go toward the Sun first. Those rocks go around in ovals. They don’t just get thrown out of the Sun.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:36 PM
link   
On the other hand, if it hit us they would have detected it a day sooner.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:38 PM
link   
An eccentric ellipse no less.

icea reply to: beyondknowledge

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Wait... what? Engrish?!

"has a diameter of around 42 to 94 m, with a diameter or around 68 m"

So which is it?

For the record, I know that is directly from the article, which makes me wonder about many, many things.

edit on 4-10-2021 by Kreeate because: huh'?

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

More people understand oval.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Faeded
giant asteroid almost hit earth on September 16, but because it came from the direction of the sun, scientists missed it

That was about the same time something hit Jupiter... Sept. 15-16
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Did i say it came from the sun?
Are u a correction nazi who thinks they know it all and live for it online?
Is halk the size of great pyramid small? Well...id say thats pretty big..and yes i am well aware the size in terms of space rocks etc.a reply to: beyondknowledge

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It appears it missed us by a distance of about the same as half way to the moon, which is kinda close for a rock that size.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

It was not that big and for it to come from the direction of the Sun, it had to go toward the Sun first. Those rocks go around in ovals. They don’t just get thrown out of the Sun.

Big compared to what? it was big enough to cause a lot of damage.

Asteroid 2021 SG has an estimated diameter of between 42 – 94 meters (138-308 feet). Its average diameter is 68 meters (223 feet). That’s in contrast to 17 meters for the Chelyabinsk meteor before it entered Earth’s atmosphere.

earthsky.org...

The OP was trying to explain, like all of the ones that have approached from the glare of the sun the telescopes don't see them sometimes.

This one passed in May

The asteroid, known as 2021 KT1, is about 600 feet, the size of the New York Olympic Tower or the Seattle Space Needle.

www.usatoday.com...
edit on 4-10-2021 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kreeate

For the record, I know that is directly from the article, which makes me wonder about many, many things.

Like what?

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Not apologizing for NASA on this one. But...

If they would find a fairly good sized one, with 100% chance of impact and a day or two notice, then what? Issue everybody umbrellas?

Until we have the ability to play solar billiards and win, probably best we didn't know ahead of time.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator

originally posted by: Faeded

That was about the same time something hit Jupiter... Sept. 15-16
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seems we are being bombarded very much lately
Here is another one in April, sure to be many more coming!
This asteroid is not the only one to come close to the Earth. An asteroid known as 2021 GW4 was 12,000 miles away from the Earth's surface, traveling 18,700 mph in April.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Historically there have been meteorites that hit the Earth that were kilometers wide (and long) with little to no effect.*

A meteorite that is mere meters wide (and long) and that passed the Earth at a distance of about 193 000 kilometers is hardly a threat.

*Hitting a city directly will of course have significant impact. No pun intended.
edit on 4-10-2021 by Kreeate because: typos R us

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
a reply to: Kreeate

Like what?

Like what kind of person penned the article for instance? For something that could be considered significant news, one would think that the article would be proof-read before being published at the very least. Perhaps I'm being pedantic. Either way, you explained and clarified in your quote from a more concise source, so thank you kindly for that.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kreeate
Historically there have been meteorites that hit the Earth that were kilometers wide (and long) with little to no effect.*

A meteorite that is mere meters wide (and long) and that passed the Earth at a distance of about 193 000 kilometers is hardly a threat.

*Hitting a city directly will of course have significant impact. No pun intended.

? I thought the Chelyabinsk meteor did a little damage

Asteroid 2021 SG has an estimated diameter of between 42 – 94 meters (138-308 feet). Its average diameter is 68 meters (223 feet). That’s in contrast to 17 meters for the Chelyabinsk meteorbefore it entered Earth’s atmosphere.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I always take the info and do my own research. Difficult now to trust anything or anyone right!

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

? I thought the Chelyabinsk meteor did a little damage

Asteroid 2021 SG has an estimated diameter of between 42 – 94 meters (138-308 feet). Its average diameter is 68 meters (223 feet). That’s in contrast to 17 meters for the Chelyabinsk meteorbefore it entered Earth’s atmosphere.

You are correct of course. Keep in mind that it's not just the size of the meteorite that has an effect. The speed and trajectory has a rather significant effect on the damage the meteorite will cause.
edit on 4-10-2021 by Kreeate because: added

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join