It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Signal from Space Is on a 16-Day Cycle. Scientists Just Ruled Out an Explanation

page: 1

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Fast Radio Burst are interesting to say the least.

Scientists have captured unprecedented observations of bizarre signals in space, revealing new insights about why some of these unexplained pulses, known as fast radio bursts (FRBs), appear to flash in clear periodic patterns.

Many scientists have tried to detect FRBs at such low frequencies, but this study offers the first successful attempt to capture them. The team snagged the exceptional observations by monitoring several cycles of FRB 20180916B, which exhibits a 16-day pattern: an active bursting period of four days, followed by a dormant period lasting 12 days. The Westerbork/Apertif facility observed this cycle for ​​388 hours at normal radio frequencies, while automatically keeping LOFAR in the loop about its progress.

www.vice.com...

Some scientist think a magnetar might explain things but I have a different hypothesis.

I think FRB's might be an energy source for a Galactic Civilization. Like a galactic generator. What we're seeing in these cycles is a burst of energy then a cool down.

You have this FRB with a 157 day cycle:

Mystery radio signal from space that’s on 157-day cycle just woke up right on schedule

A mysterious radio signal beamed to Earth from a distant galaxy has been detected again by astronomers.

The so-called Fast Radio Burst repeats every 157 days with the power of millions of suns and its latest barrage arrived right on time last week.

Known as FRB 121102, scientists hope that studying the strange blinkering signal could unlock the secret to what FRBs are and where they come from.

nypost.com...

Imagine if we colonized Mars, Jupter and a few moons of Saturn. We might need a lot of energy to power things like quantum computers, advanced A.I. and faster space travel.

So a small Galactic Civilization might need FRB's in smaller cycles. A larger Galactic Civilization might need a radio burst of energy with the power of a millions of Suns.

Maybe they have figured out to use FRB's to power their civilizations.

I do wish we weren't stuck in Plato's Cave here on earth. You always hear you have to exhaust every natural explanation before an extraterrestrial explanation. Why? I think it would be helpful to ask if these FRB's were being used by an advanced civilization, how would it work. This might open up some understanding on our part and lead to some technologies that help us.

Before CHIME began collecting light from the cosmos, astronomers knew of only thirty FRBs. But thanks to CHIME’s sophisticated array of antennas and parabolic mirrors (which are especially sensitive to FRBs) that number has grown to close to 700 (which includes 20 repeaters). According to a new study led by CHIME researchers, this robust number of detections allows for new insights into what causes them.

www.universetoday.com...

So, FRB's are a natural phenomena but the 20 repeaters might be Galactic Civilizations using FRB's to power their civilizations.

Just a thought.
edit on 2-10-2021 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:40 PM
link   
It is an interesting thought as well.

a reply to: neoholographic

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Remember when they first heard a Pulsar?

The first pulsar was discovered by chance by Jocelyn Bell and Anthony Hewish in 1967 who were actually studying distant galaxies at the time. Jocelyn Bell noticed small pulses of radiation when their telescope was looking at a particular position in the sky and for a short time scientists thought they might be coming from an extra-terrestrial civilisation.

www.atnf.csiro.au...

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Would take a lot of energy to open worm holes. Perhaps it takes them that many days.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Could FRB's be Galactic Civilizations GPS.

Since they all have different time cycles, if a space ship from some Civilization got lost it could use two or more to find its location in space.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
You always hear you have to exhaust every natural explanation before an extraterrestrial explanation. Why?
Ethan Siegal wrote an article about that. He says scientists are open to aliens and alien civilizations, and even says in the case of the "WOW!" signal we can't rule out the possibility it was a signal from aliens, but given there are other more prosaic explanations possible, he explains why they tend to favor those:

It’s Never ‘Aliens’ Unless Your Claim Passes This One Scientific Test

The first commandment of being a scientist, when faced with claims of extraterrestrials, is this: “Thou shalt not conclude ‘aliens’ from insufficient data.” For all of human history, those are the only claims we’ve had.

There’s a big test that any claim asking, “is it aliens?” must stand up to, and no claim has ever passed it: is your data good enough to strongly favor the “aliens” hypothesis over comparatively mundane explanations that don’t invoke aliens?

He then discusses seven “scientific” claims of aliens, and explains how they failed to make an enduring impact, because the evidence for aliens was really not compelling.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Interesting.

They should at least ask the question and explore it.

posted on Oct, 2 2021 @ 11:08 PM
link   

A Signal from Space Is on a 16-Day Cycle. Scientists Just Ruled Out an Explanation

Nature runs by cycles.
That's what it does .

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I would heartily recommend a book by Dr Paul LaViolette, regarding the pulsar phenomenon. He posits that pulsars may be harnessed by alien civilisations as Galacti DPS, keeping track of one's location in the galaxy by triangulating based on visible pulsars, their orientation relative to the ship, and so on. He further speculates that at least in some cases, pulsars may have been artificially engineered for this purpose, and potentially they could be used for communication as well. The book is highly informative & very compelling. I now believe that pulsars (at least some of them) are artifacts of an ancient, powerful galactic alien/pre-Adamic human civilisation.

Decoding the Message of the Pulsars; Intelligent Communication from the Galaxy

Give it a read, and while you're at it check out his book Genesis: Earth Under Fire, which is also an excellent read, highly evocative & compelling in its claims & conclusions. One of the best alternative researchers I have ever read. He also has books going into vast amounts of detail regarding antigravity & faster-than-light travel too. Seriously, read his works, you will never find more convincing theories to explain some of the major challenges put forward by the data we have gathered in our time as a technological civilisation. I actually believe he might be a 'gateway author', someone whose work, when read by physics students, might unlock doors to the secret government facilities, if mentioned to one's college professor, for example.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
I actually believe he might be a 'gateway author', someone whose work, when read by physics students, might unlock doors to the secret government facilities, if mentioned to one's college professor, for example.
That doesn't make much sense.

For Laviolette's claims to be true requires much of what physics professors teach their physics students to be wrong. Do you really think physics professors would teach their students things that they know or believe are wrong?

There's rather good evidence for the big bang theory for example, but Laviolette claims it's wrong, based on what reviewers explain are the old "tired light" models, which have been proven wrong using several different lines of evidence, for example:

Beyond the Big Bang by Paul Laviolette

This book is not to be taken seriously ! It makes a good joke with modern cosmology puting it side-by-side with egyptian mitology, astrology and tarot, to name but a few.... All the theories are based in the "tired-light" cosmology, that is completely out-dated and have absurd flaws that are never commented in the book. There are great books and even sites on the net where you can learn about theese flaws on the tired-light theory.

This book does not keep its promise to enlighten -- it is full of pompous certainty and bogus knowledge complemented by an ample vocabulary, but it utterly lacks depth or coherence. Buy this book and you waste your money.

This book is absolute nonsense. There is very little science here and that is presented very poorly. I am sorry I bought this tabloid!!

There are 6 reviews, so those three one-star reviews are half of them. It got one 5-star review that simply says "loved it" which I can only presume was made by someone not well versed in science who doesn't realize "tired light" theories have been shown to be false. The other two ratings are 3 stars do averaging those 6 reviews gives me 2.33, but for some odd reason Amazon shows the 1-star ratings as 20% instead of the actual 50% and thus computes a false higher overall rating average of 3.4 stars, maybe some problem with their algorithm?

Moving closer to the topic of this thread, Laviolette did present a paper to the American Astronomical Society (AAS) which he claimed was the first time "pulsars as ET beacons" idea had been presented at such a conference. The AAS spokesperson didn't dispute tht claim, but his further comments imply that nobody at the conference really took LaViolette's claim seriously (There are other explanations for pulsars which don't involve ET beacons and I can see no reason why we need to invoke ET beacons where pulsars are concerned, since explaining them as natural phenomena seems to fit the evidence just fine):

The Man Who Fell From Earth

With the exception of a few friends and his ever-close family, LaViolette is a man alone in the cosmos. When asked if LaViolette's presentation to the AAS was indeed the first time a scientist has announced the pulsars-as-ET-beacons discovery at a major scientific shindig, AAS spokesperson Stephen Maran says, "I think that statement is probably correct, but I don't know of any pulsar experts who are convinced by LaViolette's paper. People wondered how someone could come to such conclusions...which were not received favorably. We don't endorse any of these statements. We just think it's newsworthy, and we provide the forum."

Such is the existence of Laviolette, a man whose life's work can be justified only by a cosmic haymaker to our planet.

Needless to say, it's a tough gig.

Out of respect for LaViolette's notion that all seemingly unrelated events are nevertheless related—a blend of coincidence, "general system theory," and "subquantum kinetics"—I present the man himself...

edit on 2021103 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyInTheOintment
I would heartily recommend a book by Dr Paul LaViolette, regarding the pulsar phenomenon. He posits that pulsars may be harnessed by alien civilisations as Galacti DPS, keeping track of one's location in the galaxy by triangulating based on visible pulsars, their orientation relative to the ship, and so on. He further speculates that at least in some cases, pulsars may have been artificially engineered for this purpose, and potentially they could be used for communication as well. The book is highly informative & very compelling. I now believe that pulsars (at least some of them) are artifacts of an ancient, powerful galactic alien/pre-Adamic human civilisation.

Decoding the Message of the Pulsars; Intelligent Communication from the Galaxy

Give it a read, and while you're at it check out his book Genesis: Earth Under Fire, which is also an excellent read, highly evocative & compelling in its claims & conclusions. One of the best alternative researchers I have ever read. He also has books going into vast amounts of detail regarding antigravity & faster-than-light travel too. Seriously, read his works, you will never find more convincing theories to explain some of the major challenges put forward by the data we have gathered in our time as a technological civilisation. I actually believe he might be a 'gateway author', someone whose work, when read by physics students, might unlock doors to the secret government facilities, if mentioned to one's college professor, for example.

I just looked up his books on Amazon.i will check a couple of them out. Thanks for the link.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Great O.P. and thread. An Energy Delivery System is something I never thought of.

It's not directed at us, as some ego-centric people think. We just happen to see it. The system was probably active eons ago. Maybe before man was created on Earth.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Exactly!

We have to let go of this egocentric view of things. Simply asking, if we were to colonize other planets, could we use FRB's as another energy source and if so how would we do it, should be a no brainer.

You will never exhaust all possible natural explanations. There will always be someone smart who can up with a possible natural explanation. So there's no reason why you can't look for evidence that supports both a natural and technological explanation and weigh them against each other to see which explanation better explains the data.

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

You always hear you have to exhaust every natural explanation before an extraterrestrial explanation. Why?

There is so much we don't understand about the universe. Why would you want science to settle on the "we can't explain it using our current knowledge, so it must be aliens" explanation?

Sure, it could be aliens, but saying it definitely is before trying to figure out a natural explanation seems to be jumping to a conclusion and settling on aliens. By saying (for example) "a certain pattern has no known natural explanation so it must be aliens" would seem to be taking the easy way out because when someone asks "but why this particular pattern?" the answer from the alien hypothesis side would be "I don't know -- it's an artificial construct from an alien's mind, so we can't understand the pattern unless we ask the aliens." The alien hypothesis becomes, for all intents and purposes, a dead-end explanation that the given evidence can't either prove or absolutely refute.

It's a wishy-washy explanation.

Isn't the current approach better -- i.e., having aliens as just one of the potential explanations, but fully realizing that since there is much we have yet to learn about the universe, the explanation for an unknown might be something natural that we just don't yet understand, and is something we can in fact learn?

I mean -- why, in the absence of hard evidence, settle on the one specific explanation of "it must be aliens" (which is a dead-end explanation for a phenomenon) instead of opening our minds to include the the idea that the explanation could be one of the many things we do not yet understand about the natural universe?

edit on 8/10/2021 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Hi Arbitrageur I have a lot of respect for your opinion on anything science. So…

What about the institutional rejection by the Egyptian establishment regarding the latest knowledge of the last few decades being at odds with the orthodoxy? Isn’t that an example of academics pushing untruths because they don’t want to admit that their life’s work turned out to be in error. I can see that happening in any branch of science. I also have a vague memory of a conspiracy from about 15-17yrs back about Sagan selling his soul to get the inside knowledge on aliens. Couldn’t the right motivation be enough for these things to occur?

OP rather than the FRBs being for energy requirements couldn’t they just be “Hello universe we exist we are here” or communication al la Contact.

top topics

join