It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Property Taxes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: PiratesCut
They keep jacking our home value up (and not by a little). It sucks because they jack it up but no one comes out to look at your house. They are basing it on speculation. They must look and see it doesn't have a mortgage and figure you can afford more in taxes. These people suck.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Here’s a secret I learned by accident.
Live a block or two from the town mayor.

Your taxes will be low, crime won’t show up on stats so you’re neighborhood will appear super safe when you go to sell.
Did I mention your roads will be plowed first and potholes will be filled too!
Learn the game!

CLEVER!!!

I learned the same thing, also by accident! It wasn't the mayor, but our ranch is situated next to one of the biggest ranchers in the state of Colorado and Wyoming. County Commissioner. Prominent mover and shaker in the state politics world (because of how much taxes he pays)! Was the CEO of the National Western Stockshow (which is a pretty big deal). The road in front of their place was graded as smooth as a baby's bottom all the time, and one of the first to be plowed. Then he upped and died on us and deeded his land to the State.

Now we might as well live on the Moon!

Funny how that works, isn't it??

edit on 10/3/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Then he upped and died on us and deeded his land to the State.

Oh no, that sucks!! I’ve been tempted to buy a place that borders state land, but it isn’t worth it.
Here a lot of people hike those places and don’t respect the difference between public and private lands either.

posted on Oct, 3 2021 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well, fortunately no one is going to be hiking this land for about another 50 years because his family is allowed to run cattle on the land until they expire. There's some nasty, waspy, bulls over there from time to time, and we've had to reinforce our fence twice now to keep our bulls out of their girls and from fighting with their bulls. No woke bicyclists are going to be riding that property anytime soon, and if they do...I want to video that one!!!

'Woke liberal bicyclist with GoPro (and an attitude) gets trampled to death by wild bull after trespassing on future Open Space land. $15,000 bicycle destroyed. Story at six.'

ETA - Local livestock paper version...'Idiot liberal granola eating jackass on a bicycle enrages $60,000 prize sire bull after tormenting it for an apparent Instagram shot about greenhouse gasses. Remains of bicyclist cannot be buried by State law (note: which is true) so area has been cordoned off with electric fence so it can rot in the sun and so coyotes and buzzards can finish off the balance remains without poisoning livestock.
All involved livestock are now being tested for diseases.'

edit on 10/3/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Have to tell you FCD, you do make me laugh……LOL
I needed one, thanks!!!

😎

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Brings to mind the question; Do we really own our own homes?

Yup. You never truly own your home due to property taxes. You own the rights to the property as long as the taxes are paid.

Exactly.

Leasing your land from the govt.

Not including the 30 year contract most buyers opt for.

We already own nothing, are we happy yet?

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   

That is absurd!!!! I would be so pissed off. They deserve those damn pennies.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Brings to mind the question; Do we really own our own homes?

Yup. You never truly own your home due to property taxes. You own the rights to the property as long as the taxes are paid.

Technically they would be selling a tax lien. Most states have laws associated with it. In Georgia, I believe the home owner can buy the lien back within the first year from whoever purchased it for what they paid plus interest.

Assuming you have a mortgage on the property, the bank will likely pay the taxes before they let the property get foreclosed on for a small tax lien.

I'd imagine there's escrow services out there that will also pay your taxes for you...maybe you travel a lot, etc. Most towns also let you pay for the whole year at once too.

posted on Oct, 30 2021 @ 07:31 AM
link   

edit on Thu Jun 15 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

When I was young, I had a biker friend who went to buy a a brand new 1971 GTO Judge from the local dealer. It was a pretty car, orange with the rear wing. The dealer would not accept his cheque, so he laid down a grand in cash as deposit for a few days so he could get the balance together. Then he went to the bank and ordered nickel bags for the balance. He loaded them into pickup trucks and went to the dealer and paid for the GTO in cash, specifically nickels. Its a great move to pay in pennies LOL.

Actually, most jurisdictions have laws preventing you from paying in minor coins for anything more than some small amount... last I checked here in Georgia it was, I think, $12.

posted on Jan, 3 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

When I was young, I had a biker friend who went to buy a a brand new 1971 GTO Judge from the local dealer. It was a pretty car, orange with the rear wing. The dealer would not accept his cheque, so he laid down a grand in cash as deposit for a few days so he could get the balance together. Then he went to the bank and ordered nickel bags for the balance. He loaded them into pickup trucks and went to the dealer and paid for the GTO in cash, specifically nickels. Its a great move to pay in pennies LOL.

Actually, most jurisdictions have laws preventing you from paying in minor coins for anything more than some small amount... last I checked here in Georgia it was, I think, $12.

They may now, but in 1971 things were a little different.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 06:54 AM
link   

in reply to: tanstaafl
They may now, but in 1971 things were a little different.

Maybe they still hadn't caught up after the bastards committed treason when they passed the coinage act of 1965 (debasing the coinage for the first time in our history, which was a death penalty offence up to about 10 or 15 years before they actually did the deed - obviously done just in case the people actually woke up and caught on to them).

When I learned about this fact it was either in the late 80's or early 90's...

posted on Feb, 14 2022 @ 04:53 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 1   >>

join