It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Probably one of the best Synth songs ever written IMO, the sound and structure of the song is almost hypnotic and as captivating now as it was back in 79 , still worth a listen.

edit on 24-9-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
That's a good one. I liked this song of theirs the best.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Nice!

Seen him the last few times he came to town..great shows!, and actually on the heavier side, kinda NIN.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 06:38 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
That's a good one. I liked this song of theirs the best.

Foo Fighters do a great cover!

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 07:25 PM
link   
One of my all time favourite songs. Used to listen to it on repeat like the crazy person I am.

posted on Sep, 24 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Their version is good, too

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 02:19 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Foo Fighters do a great cover!

Marilyn Manson did a much better cover in my opinion, on the Lunchbox single. That was actually the first time I'd ever heard the song. Took a little while before I eventually realized it was a cover.

I really like the intro on this live version.
Gary Numan Down In The Park , 1980

Numan's instrumental piano version is dam good too.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I was really into punk at the time - I still am - when a friend of mine who lived two doors down from me played their first album and I was sort of hooked.
Replicas took it to an all new level, an outstanding album.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Got to say I'm not really a Nine Inch Nails fan.....but this is excellent.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I too was a Punk back then heavily into Stiff Little Fingers and Sham 69 , I first heard the song on a jeans advert and was immediately hooked even though I wasn't into Synth music , the song had a bleak futuristic feel to it and I was all about that.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 04:50 AM
link   

For you

They're touring next year, tickets are on sale now..

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 05:01 AM
link   

I hadn't watched this appearance on OGWT by Tubeway Army for quite some time until you posted this thread; a simply amazing performance.

I like listening the Synth music; OMD are my dirty little secret, another truly fantastic band.

Seen SLF 12 times now I think.
Great band, to survive as long as they have in the music industry with their integrity intact says absolute volumes about them.

Another aside, OGWT was a brilliant programme....despite all the hippies!

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Stiff Little Fingers and The Clash helped shape my whole outlook on life and the values and ethics by which I try to live my life.
John Lydon has been a huge influence and made me question everything.....but SLF and The Clash simply made me see things from a whole different perspective.
That they are still such a huge part of my life 45 years or so later says everything.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Thanks for that mate , Inflammable Material was such a great album , so many great songs from beginning to end I nearly wore through the vinyl back in the day and near drove my family mad , I still have my original copy along with Nobody's Heroes.

edit on 25-9-2021 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Me, i was a skinhead with the doc martens and green bomber jacket. Then the Specials came along and blew me and me mates away. Madness, the Selector, the Beat. That Jamaican ska sound, we loved it. Dancing all night drinking flaggons of cider down on the beach.
Liked the Clash too. Rock the Casbah is one of my all time favourite albums, and London Calling.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Wow, this thread slipped by me. Numan is a great musician. I agree with you that 'Friends' is right up there among the best synth tracks.
Check out this interview if you have not seen it already. He was on Jonesy's Jukebox a while back. Good interview.

posted on Sep, 25 2021 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I've heard all of those versions of Down In The Park before, but I just gave them all a listen anyway.

top topics

join