It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Useless fact of the day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hello everyone.

I made this thread just for the heck of it because I want to hear your useless bit of information.
Who knows, maybe it will come in handy for someone someday.

Just write down and post any useless bit of information you want.
Try to make it factual - or as close as possible.

Here's mine:
For those who have watched the movie Interstellar (my favorite movie of all time)
You will remember Millers planet and how 1 hour there was roughly equal to 7 years earth time.

Interstellar came out in April of 2014... its been 7 years.
Therefore, a little over 1 hour has now passed on Millers Planet.

If we want to go a bit deeper, for every 1.25 seconds on that planet, 24 hours will have past on Earth.
Which is also represented in the movie.
You can hear the sound of a watch ticking during this scene at 1 second intervals.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Cold coffee is the same temperature as warm beer.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Emperor Caligulas's "floating pleasure palaces" were two gigantic ships, for the recovery of which Mussolini virtually pumped lake Nemi dry between 1929-1933.

They were then destroyed in 1944 during World War II, with only some bronze artifacts and photographs remaining today.

Just goes to show, sometimes it's better to leave things where they are.
www.discovermagazine.com...

edit on 23-9-2021 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 04:20 PM
link   
In keeping with the time perspective. From God's viewpoint humankind has only been around about 1 week. A thousand years to us being a day for him.

Remember when I was a kid watching Cosmos with Carl Sagan on PBS and he had a timeline calendar of the universe. And the time all life has been around on earth takes up just the last spec on the cosmic calendar on the far bottom right.

From human perspective war and disease and death has always plagued our world. From the cosmic perspective it has been around just for a brief moment. And it soon will be done away with.

Here is another interesting thing to ponder. God with all his power and wisdom is very humble and full of love and beauty as we can see from looking at creation. We cannot begin to fathom the fact he has already lived eternally into the past. But we can fathom him living eternally into the future, and those who avail themselves of his love and his good will will be able to live as long as him into the future, forever.

These things amaze and boggle my mind. And there is even a scripture that says that when we live eternally into the future we will still never discover everything God has already made:

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has even put eternity in their heart; yet mankind will never find out the work that the true God has made from start to finish."-Ecclesiastes 3:11.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Charlton Heston was married by the Justice of the peace in my home town. He was stationed here during the war and married prior to an over seas deployment. I was married at that justice of the peace's office..I.E. Magistrate. They have a copy of his marriage license on display..at least they did in 2005

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   

The North American opossum is the only marsupial found north of Mexico

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Here's my 2nd useless fact of the day......Joe Biden....that's 2 facts...1 he's Joe. 2 he's useless.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82
This useless fact relates to two stations on the London Underground system, King's Cross and Euston.
It is simultaneously true that King's Cross is north of Euston, and that Euston is north of King's Cross.
That is, one may travel from A to B on a "northbound" line, and back from B to A on another "northbound" line, and thus keep travelling between them indefinitely without ceasing to go "north". Or "south", if you prefer.
If you examine the system map very carefully, you might see how this works.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
You can hear the sound of a watch ticking during this scene at 1 second intervals.

This movie is one of my favorite about the space genre, there's another one where earth is dying and I stop now because spoilers :-P

But that watch ticking, I did not notice it at the time I was watching it, good spot!

Random useless fact:
The wrinkled skin on elephants helps them defend against mosquitoes. When they move, they crush them between the wrinkles.
edit on 23.9.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

The Blue Whales has an average penis length of 8 ft 2 in to 9.8 ft and a diameter of 12 in to 14 in.

Now you know...
AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheMirrorSelf
Speaking of whales...
A Blue WHale fart bubble is big enough to hold a horse...

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   
You guys could at least get the Skeletor meme for this one. 🤣

Edit to add:

And other, slightly different image format.

There are also some with Wong floating around, but the few of those I have aren't ATS friendly.
edit on 9/23/2021 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DreamWeaver1967
Speaking of whales...
A Blue WHale fart bubble is big enough to hold a horse...

Fascinating! Speaking of horses, did you know that a horse has an average penis length of 24 to 30 inches long?

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
You guys could at least get the Skeletor meme for this one. 🤣

Edit to add:

And other, slightly different image format.

There are also some with Wong floating around, but the few of those I have aren't ATS friendly.

Links!!! Must have links for those. Classic...

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Viscous little bastards.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Haha
I liked that.
We got the G.I Joe slogan and a Skeletor meme in the same thread.
Beautiful.... simply beautiful.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The diabolical Double Post strikes again.
edit on 23-9-2021 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The human skeleton is made from self growing/repairing metal.

The human brain operates/transfers signals via electrical charges-which it makes itself by pumping potassium and sodium ions into the gaps between cells.Electrically generated consciousness.Mind blowing stuff

So if that idea common to a few religions is true-that god made us in his image-Its possible that God was an advanced robot,who self replicated us on Earth,so that we could self replicate more robots,and we are now making #tons of robots,and will soon have those robots making themselves real clever via AI.

Reality could just be one never ending robot circle jerk.

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You can ship a boat but you can’t boat a ship

posted on Sep, 23 2021 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman

The North American opossum is the only marsupial found north of Mexico

Speaking of possums, the average possum can eat its weight in ticks in one year. There is no known instance of a possum getting rabies since it is a marsupial. The most used name for pet possums is Pogo. More possums are run over by automobiles than any other animal. Go figure...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join